Can't force users to logoff

Ziv

Can't force users to logoff
I am trying to logoff users that have looked the computer.
In vista I click switch user, then logon as a user who is a member of domain
admin group. Then in task manager I click "users" tab from the list of users
I select the user that lock the computer and choose logoff.
Then I get the message "User tstaff (sessionId=2) could not be logged off.
Access is denied".

If I use the built-in domain adminisrator account then it works fine, but if
I use my own account which is a member of domain admin then get the error
message.

I tried to create a new account and made it a memebr of all the groups the
same as the domain administrator account, this new user have the same problem.

I looked for long on the internet and can't find an explention.

Many thanks

Ziv

Jimmy Brush

Re: Can't force users to logoff
Ziv wrote:
> I am trying to logoff users that have looked the computer.
> In vista I click switch user, then logon as a user who is a member of domain
> admin group. Then in task manager I click "users" tab from the list of users
> I select the user that lock the computer and choose logoff.
> Then I get the message "User tstaff (sessionId=2) could not be logged off.
> Access is denied".
>
> If I use the built-in domain adminisrator account then it works fine, but if
> I use my own account which is a member of domain admin then get the error
> message.
>
> I tried to create a new account and made it a memebr of all the groups the
> same as the domain administrator account, this new user have the same problem.
>
> I looked for long on the internet and can't find an explention.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Ziv

Hello,

You must first give task manager permission to use your admin power.

You can do this once task manager is started by clicking the "show
processes from all users" button under the processes tab.

Or, you can start task manager with admin privileges by finding it in
the start menu or in explorer, right-clicking on it and clicking run as
administrator.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Ziv

Re: Can't force users to logoff
Dear Jimmy,

Thank you very much for your help the idea of clicking show processes from
all users, first have worked.
I do think this very much not clear that you should do it, and really there
shouldn’t be a difference between buitin domain administrator and a user
member of domain admin group.
It would be very useful to change it and make it more intuitive.

Many thanks

Ziv Shadar

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Ziv wrote:
> > I am trying to logoff users that have looked the computer.
> > In vista I click switch user, then logon as a user who is a member of domain
> > admin group. Then in task manager I click "users" tab from the list of users
> > I select the user that lock the computer and choose logoff.
> > Then I get the message "User tstaff (sessionId=2) could not be logged off.
> > Access is denied".
> >
> > If I use the built-in domain adminisrator account then it works fine, but if
> > I use my own account which is a member of domain admin then get the error
> > message.
> >
> > I tried to create a new account and made it a memebr of all the groups the
> > same as the domain administrator account, this new user have the same problem.
> >
> > I looked for long on the internet and can't find an explention.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Ziv
> >

> Hello,
>
> You must first give task manager permission to use your admin power.
>
> You can do this once task manager is started by clicking the "show
> processes from all users" button under the processes tab.
>
> Or, you can start task manager with admin privileges by finding it in
> the start menu or in explorer, right-clicking on it and clicking run as
> administrator.
>
> --
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Can't force users to logoff
<snip>
> I do think this very much not clear that you should do it

Agreed. Hopefully this will be made clearer in future versions of Windows.