What system restore?

Merle

What system restore?
The problem is: When I make a change to my system i.e. new driver, etc I
would like to create a system restore point just in case of a malfunction.
When I try to create a restore point I get this message on my Systems
Property Window under the tab system protection Automatic Restore Point
"Configuration is disabled by group policy" and "Restore Point creation
disabled by group policy." What kind of system protection is that? Is it
protecting my system from my protection? Yes I think so. Is there anyway
to change the group policy on windows Vista Premium since it is unavailable
in the premium version? Wow. This PC belongs to ME not Microsoft.

brink

Re: What system restore?

Hi Merle,

Check this link out and see if you have the first part under
"Resolutions".
It's for XP, but the same still applies for this.

'
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm'
(http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Merle

Re: What system restore?
Thanks Brink, I'm going to try it and if it works I'll post it.

"Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The problem is: When I make a change to my system i.e. new driver, etc I
> would like to create a system restore point just in case of a malfunction.
> When I try to create a restore point I get this message on my Systems
> Property Window under the tab system protection Automatic Restore Point
> "Configuration is disabled by group policy" and "Restore Point creation
> disabled by group policy." What kind of system protection is that? Is
> it
> protecting my system from my protection? Yes I think so. Is there anyway
> to change the group policy on windows Vista Premium since it is
> unavailable
> in the premium version? Wow. This PC belongs to ME not Microsoft.

Merle

Re: What system restore?
Well I edited the registry and had a shutdown problem, after restarting
again I tried to make a restore point and got the message "Access Denied
0x80070005"
There is still something preventing me from creating a restore point, but
what? Time to Punt

Merle;374239 Wrote:
> Well I edited the registry and had a shutdown problem, after restarting
> again I tried to make a restore point and got the message "Access
> Denied
> 0x80070005"
> There is still something preventing me from creating a restore point,
> but
> what? Time to Punt

Ok Merle,

I found this while I was digging:

- Click *Start Menu* then *Computer*.
- Click *Tools* menu then click* Folder Options*.
- Click *View *tab, dot *Show hidden files and folders*.
- Uncheck *Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)*.
Click *Yes* when you are prompted to confirm the change.
- Click *OK*.
- Click on your *C:\ * drive (Or the drive you have Vista on)
- Right-click the *System Volume Information* folder, and then click
*Properties*.
- If the *Read-only* attibutes is checked (not blue in box), uncheck
it and click *OK*.
- Now try creating a restore point.*Warning:* Remember to hide the hidden System Files when done.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Merle

Re: What system restore?
Well I tried system restore after I followed your directions and still get
the Access Denied 0x8007005 error. So I guess I will have to use a third
party backup. T
hanks for your help.

"brink" <brink.2tflz8@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Merle;374239 Wrote:
>> Well I edited the registry and had a shutdown problem, after restarting
>> again I tried to make a restore point and got the message "Access
>> Denied
>> 0x80070005"
>> There is still something preventing me from creating a restore point,
>> but
>> what? Time to Punt
>>

> Ok Merle,
>
> I found this while I was digging:
>
> - Click *Start Menu* then *Computer*.
> - Click *Tools* menu then click* Folder Options*.
> - Click *View *tab, dot *Show hidden files and folders*.
> - Uncheck *Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)*.
> Click *Yes* when you are prompted to confirm the change.
> - Click *OK*.
> - Click on your *C:\ * drive (Or the drive you have Vista on)
> - Right-click the *System Volume Information* folder, and then click
> *Properties*.
> - If the *Read-only* attibutes is checked (not blue in box), uncheck
> it and click *OK*.
> - Now try creating a restore point.*Warning:* Remember to hide the hidden
> System Files when done.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)

brink

Re: What system restore?

Merle,

Sorry it did not work for you. I do not what else to try. Here is a
link for everything on System Restore. Perhaps you may find something
helpful their that I missed.

'System Restore in Windows Vista:'
(http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html)

Acronis True Image is a great backup program. Here is a link for a
free 15 day fully functional trial download. It will let you make a
bootable dvd clone of your hard drive that can install itself when
needed.

'Download HDD ghosting, data backup and restore software for home and
home office PCs'
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...oad/trueimage/)

Shawn