WinVista not recognizing my Administrator rights

Confused AdminL

WinVista not recognizing my Administrator rights
Over the past week, I have setup my new computer utilizing Intellimover
(which was going along smoothly) & have established myself as the
Administrator. The other day, the power went out & rebooted my pc (I had
already saved my settings). But now when I try to add or execute different
software, it's requesting that I "have adminstrator or power user privileges"
or "that the current user must have local adminstrative p[ermissions on this
computer".

How can this be so, when I log on, i am the administrator, b/c the other
user account that I have on the computer is just a standard user account.

Please help!!! Trying to complete my tranfer of data files & installaiton of
new software. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Jimmy Brush

Re: WinVista not recognizing my Administrator rights
Confused AdminL wrote:
> Over the past week, I have setup my new computer utilizing Intellimover
> (which was going along smoothly) & have established myself as the
> Administrator. The other day, the power went out & rebooted my pc (I had
> already saved my settings). But now when I try to add or execute different
> software, it's requesting that I "have adminstrator or power user privileges"
> or "that the current user must have local adminstrative p[ermissions on this
> computer".
>
> How can this be so, when I log on, i am the administrator, b/c the other
> user account that I have on the computer is just a standard user account.
>
> Please help!!! Trying to complete my tranfer of data files & installaiton of
> new software. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hello,

In Windows Vista, only programs that ask for your permission ("Windows
needs your permission to continue") are allowed to use your admin power.

New programs are supposed to always request this from you whenever they
need it.

Older or non-compliant programs may instead give you an error relating
to "you are not an administrator". This error is misleading in Vista ...
it actually means that the program you are using did not ask you for
permission, and so cannot use your admin power.

If you trust the program to use your admin power, you can manually start
it with admin power: right-click on it, and click run as admin. If you
always want the program to ask for your permission when it starts, you
can right-click it, click properties, click the compatibility tab, and
put a check mark next to run as administrator.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
P. Di Stolfo

Re: WinVista not recognizing my Administrator rights
Hello,

what if you try right-clicking the software you want to use and clicking
"Run as administrator"?
Normally, in Vista, software has to ask for administrative rights, even if
started by a user who has those rights.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

"Confused AdminL" <Confused AdminL@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im