Vista Upgrade onto 2nd hard drive

KButzke

Vista Upgrade onto 2nd hard drive
I purchased the upgrade to Vista Ultimate on my old hard drive, which is
currently the slave in my new computer, and I want to upgrade to Ultimate on
my new hard drive.

Every time I try to update I am prompted to purchase the upgrade again. Is
it possible to, without paying, to upgrade to Ulitmate on two different hard
drives if you have already purchased the update once before?
Gistcheckin

RE: Vista Upgrade onto 2nd hard drive
I don't believe so. Not without an extended license:

In the new “MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS” for Windows Vista, “Section 2:
Installation and Use Rights” reads:Before you use the software under a
license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware
system). That device is the “licensed device.” … You may install one copy of
the software on the licensed device.Also, Sections 15 “Reassign to Another
Device” and 16 “Transfer to a Third Party” are new, basically stating that
you can “reassign the license to another device one time” or “make a one time
transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party.

Find License Terms for Software Licensed from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.aspx

--
Gistcheckin

"KButzke" wrote:

> I purchased the upgrade to Vista Ultimate on my old hard drive, which is
> currently the slave in my new computer, and I want to upgrade to Ultimate on
> my new hard drive.
>
> Every time I try to update I am prompted to purchase the upgrade again. Is
> it possible to, without paying, to upgrade to Ulitmate on two different hard
> drives if you have already purchased the update once before?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista Upgrade onto 2nd hard drive
No. You are only allowed one install per license.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"KButzke" <KButzke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased the upgrade to Vista Ultimate on my old hard drive, which is
> currently the slave in my new computer, and I want to upgrade to Ultimate
> on
> my new hard drive.
>
> Every time I try to update I am prompted to purchase the upgrade again. Is
> it possible to, without paying, to upgrade to Ulitmate on two different
> hard
> drives if you have already purchased the update once before?

KButzke

RE: Vista Upgrade onto 2nd hard drive
Thank you for letting me know. I figured this was the problem. What bugs me
more than not being able to upgrade is that I am still using the original key
and it is installed on two separate drives.