Keeps asking for administrators password?

***** charles

Keeps asking for administrators password?
Hi all,

My new Dell all of a sudden started asking for my
administrator account password periodically. I am
using Vista Home Premium. I don't know what I
did to trigger this activity since it didn't do it just
after I got it several weeks ago.

Any ideas?

thanks,
charles......

Gistcheckin

RE: Keeps asking for administrators password?
Have you been operating as a standard user? If so, attempting to perform an
administrative task would initiate the prompt.

Getting Started with User Account Control on Windows Vista - Scroll down to
Credential Prompt
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...022.aspx#EMJAC

What is User Account Control?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...665471033.mspx

--
Gistcheckin

"***** charles" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My new Dell all of a sudden started asking for my
> administrator account password periodically. I am
> using Vista Home Premium. I don't know what I
> did to trigger this activity since it didn't do it just
> after I got it several weeks ago.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> charles......

***** charles

Re: Keeps asking for administrators password?
I tried to boot into "safe" mode to logon as Administrator and there
is no such entity any more. I logged back into regular mode and I
am logging in as an administrative user. I didn't think what I was
trying to do required administrative rights and even if it did I thought
I was already an "administrator".

later.....

"Gistcheckin" <Gistcheckin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you been operating as a standard user? If so, attempting to perform

an
> administrative task would initiate the prompt.
>
> Getting Started with User Account Control on Windows Vista - Scroll down

> Credential Prompt
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...022.aspx#EMJAC
>
> What is User Account Control?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...daa-4cc5-a092-
9908305665471033.mspx

> --
> Gistcheckin
>

> "***** charles" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My new Dell all of a sudden started asking for my
> > administrator account password periodically. I am
> > using Vista Home Premium. I don't know what I
> > did to trigger this activity since it didn't do it just
> > after I got it several weeks ago.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > thanks,
> > charles......

Gistcheckin

Re: Keeps asking for administrators password?
When you are logged on to Windows with a standard account, you can do
anything that you can do with an administrator account, but if you want to do
something that affects other users of the computer, such as installing
software or changing security settings, Windows might ask you to provide a
password for an administrator account.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...14a451033.mspx

--
Gistcheckin