After 5 months ask for activation

The Viking

After 5 months ask for activation
So, I have Vista Ultimate. Yesterday everything was ok. Today it is not. I
keep getting the message that my os is not genuine.
IT IS!!!
So-I changed the key(same old one) Vista goes on the net and tells me
everything is fine, close the window and. I get this validation question.
What is going on??
jake

RE: After 5 months ask for activation

"The Viking" wrote:

> So, I have Vista Ultimate. Yesterday everything was ok. Today it is not. I
> keep getting the message that my os is not genuine.
> IT IS!!!
> So-I changed the key(same old one) Vista goes on the net and tells me
> everything is fine, close the window and. I get this validation question.
> What is going on??

Same problem here, except with Windows Vista Business:
It might have something to do with the updates, because I
downloaded/installed updates, and it told me that I had activate my windows.
I type my key, and it tells me its already been used. And it has been used
(by me, on this computer), so wtf. Now it keeps giving me genuine advantage
BS.
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
Select the option to activate by phone.

As for why?
I am not sure except possibly some hardware updates have been known to
cause this for some.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Same problem here, except with Windows Vista Business:
> It might have something to do with the updates, because I
> downloaded/installed updates, and it told me that I had activate my
> windows.
> I type my key, and it tells me its already been used. And it has
> been used
> (by me, on this computer), so wtf. Now it keeps giving me genuine
> advantage
> BS.

Mac

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
What is the free phone number?

> Select the option to activate by phone.
>
> As for why?
> I am not sure except possibly some hardware updates have been known to
> cause this for some.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Same problem here, except with Windows Vista Business:
>> It might have something to do with the updates, because I
>> downloaded/installed updates, and it told me that I had activate my
>> windows.
>> I type my key, and it tells me its already been used. And it has been
>> used
>> (by me, on this computer), so wtf. Now it keeps giving me genuine
>> advantage
>> BS.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
The phone number is toll free in many areas but not all.
After you choose the option to activate by phone, a screen will come
up for you to select your region.
The correct number will be displayed at that time.

--

"Mac" <mac@nospam.com> wrote in message
> What is the free phone number?

Mac

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
Point is folks should not have to pay to have such problems fixed...

> The phone number is toll free in many areas but not all.
> After you choose the option to activate by phone, a screen will come up
> for you to select your region.
> The correct number will be displayed at that time.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Mac" <mac@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> What is the free phone number?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:50:04 -0700, The Viking

>So, I have Vista Ultimate. Yesterday everything was ok. Today it is not. I
>keep getting the message that my os is not genuine.

Let's clarify whether you are posting about WGA (Windows Genuine
Advantage) or Product Activation - because they are largely unrelated
systems that share only a common anti-piracy objective.

Your subject line suggests Product Activation is the problem. If so,
what you would have experienced, is your PC refusing to operate
normally, after 3 days of warnings that you need to activate.

On the other hand, WGA would present with a pop-up telling you your OS
installation is not "genuine", i.e. is now (as of a recent WGA
"update") considered to be using a stolen key.

Which was it?

>So-I changed the key(same old one) Vista goes on the net and tells me
>everything is fine, close the window and. I get this validation question.
>What is going on??

I don't know, yet.

Firstly, let's get as much detail on those various alerts, etc. not
only to tell whether this is WGA or Product Activation, but also to be
sure it's not some (other <g>) malware protection racket.

Did you:
- change any hardware?
- remove any hardware for troubleshooting purposes?
- convert any file systems or reformat any patritions?
- update BIOS or other device firmware or ROMs?
- change any device drivers?
- change any core CMOS settings?
- boot your HD in a different PC?
- change any overclocking settings?

If so, Vista's apparently hair-trigger Product Activation component
monitoring system may have pulled the pin on the DoS payload.

If not, it's less likely to be Product Activation, unless something
(file system mishap, malware attack) ate your WPA information.

If none of the above applies, but you are online and swallowing WGA
updates, then it's possible one of these has taken exception to your
product key. If that's the case, then take a look at your OS
installation disk, CoA sticker, etc. to see if there are any signs of
these being counterfeited; it may be an un-false positive.

In any event, you can call MS and ask about all this stuff. If you
explain it's a WPA or WGA issue, they should assist you for free.

>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

The rights you save may be your own
>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

LoneStar

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
Hey Viking.......... you got some pretty good responses from people trying
to help. Do you think it would be cool if you'd actually REPLY. Hello!!

EW

"The Viking" <TheViking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So, I have Vista Ultimate. Yesterday everything was ok. Today it is not. I
> keep getting the message that my os is not genuine.
> IT IS!!!
> So-I changed the key(same old one) Vista goes on the net and tells me
> everything is fine, close the window and. I get this validation question.
> What is going on??

**ssed off!

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
I have the same problem, except I'm using vista home premium. After 3 months,
yesterday I get told my copy of vista is not genuine and need to validate it
by typing in my authentication code. When I do this it then says that it is
already in use and I'm back to square one. I don't see why customers should
pay for calls to fix bugs in their system, but what else can we do? It's
shocking really.

"LoneStar" wrote:

> Hey Viking.......... you got some pretty good responses from people trying
> to help. Do you think it would be cool if you'd actually REPLY. Hello!!
>
> EW
>
> "The Viking" <TheViking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So, I have Vista Ultimate. Yesterday everything was ok. Today it is not. I
> > keep getting the message that my os is not genuine.
> > IT IS!!!
> > So-I changed the key(same old one) Vista goes on the net and tells me
> > everything is fine, close the window and. I get this validation question.
> > What is going on??

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: After 5 months ask for activation
You do not pay for the call, it is a toll free number.

There are many reasons why you can be prompted to activate, most are by
design and legitimate, some are not because there does seem to be bugs in
the activation component. Instead of getting **ssed off, you need to try and
discover exactly why your system is asking for activation.

The overwhelming majority of systems where I have seen this 'problem' end up
having a legitimate activation issue.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP