Administrator not an administrator

rwbta

Administrator not an administrator
I have an administrator account but Vista Ultimate 64-bit keeps telling me I
need to be an administrator. Then it presents me with a button to press to
approve a particular action and accepts it since I'm the administrator (or am
I?). For example, if I want to run a program, any program, I have to give
myself permission to run it.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? And, is there anyway to get around it?
David Dickinson

Re: Administrator not an administrator
"rwbta" <rwbta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an administrator account but Vista Ultimate 64-bit keeps telling me
> need to be an administrator. Then it presents me with a button to press to
> approve a particular action and accepts it since I'm the administrator (or
> am
> I?). For example, if I want to run a program, any program, I have to give
> myself permission to run it.
>
> Is this the way it is supposed to work? And, is there anyway to get around
> it?

You're seeing User Account Control (UAC) in action. There are actually two
kinds of administrators in Vista: The master or super Administrator, and all
others, which must approve their actions to UAC.

The Local Security Policy has some settings related to UAC, and you can turn
it off in Security Center -- but Security Center will complain about it
unless you turn off notifications of /all/ security issues (a short-sighted
approach to notification control, IMHO).

There are lots of posts related to UAC in this forum and in the
vista.security forum.

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

tim

Re: Administrator not an administrator
yes.

--
Timothy Gilbertson
Arizona

rwbta

Re: Administrator not an administrator
Thanks for the info. Normally I don't run the administrator account, but
sometimes an administrator needs to administer.