Missing: Compatibility Tab in Properties

=?Utf-8?B?Qml0?=

Missing: Compatibility Tab in Properties
Yes, I have the security tab, still. The two are not related in this case.
I am missing the Compatibility tab only. What must I do to get it back?

Thank you for your time.
=?Utf-8?B?bnljbWFu?=

RE: Missing: Compatibility Tab in Properties
I have the same problem. Compatibility tab is missing, and when I open the
program compatibility wizard in the Control Panel > Programs, it has been
disabled. No further information. There's no KB article about enabling it
(or even about program compatibility in general in Vista).
--
nycman

"Bit" wrote:

> Yes, I have the security tab, still. The two are not related in this case.
> I am missing the Compatibility tab only. What must I do to get it back?
>
> Thank you for your time.

=?Utf-8?B?Qml0?=

RE: Missing: Compatibility Tab in Properties
I finally fixed mine. My Vista was an upgrade from XP, and for whatever
reason SYSTEMROOT and WINDIR in the registry were set to normal strings,
instead of expandable ones. Thus, windows would literally call %windir% and
rundll32 would crash as a result. Changing to expandable strings remedies
Rundll AND re-enabled my compatibility tab.
=?Utf-8?B?bnljbWFu?=

RE: Missing: Compatibility Tab in Properties
OK, I'll take the bait.

How does a person change from normal to expandable?

By that, I mean changing strings from normal to expandable, not changing
one's self from normal to expandable.
--
nycman

"Bit" wrote:

> I finally fixed mine. My Vista was an upgrade from XP, and for whatever
> reason SYSTEMROOT and WINDIR in the registry were set to normal strings,
> instead of expandable ones. Thus, windows would literally call %windir% and
> rundll32 would crash as a result. Changing to expandable strings remedies
> Rundll AND re-enabled my compatibility tab.

=?Utf-8?B?Qml0?=

RE: Missing: Compatibility Tab in Properties
no bait intended. Remove the two entries, and replace them with identical
entries as REG_EXPAND_SZ.

"nycman" wrote:

> OK, I'll take the bait.
>
> How does a person change from normal to expandable?
>
> By that, I mean changing strings from normal to expandable, not changing
> one's self from normal to expandable.
> --
> nycman
>

> "Bit" wrote:
>
> > I finally fixed mine. My Vista was an upgrade from XP, and for whatever
> > reason SYSTEMROOT and WINDIR in the registry were set to normal strings,
> > instead of expandable ones. Thus, windows would literally call %windir% and
> > rundll32 would crash as a result. Changing to expandable strings remedies
> > Rundll AND re-enabled my compatibility tab.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Missing: Compatibility Tab in Properties
Right click inside the registry key and select the 'Expandable String
Value' option.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP