Vista block batch files from being unzipped

Francois PIETTE

Vista block batch files from being unzipped
When unzipping a batch file using WinZip 11, I get an error "Windows has
blocked the file TestBak.bat from being extracted".

How do I change Vista setup so that batch files are allowed to be be
extracted ?

Best regards,
--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista block batch files from being unzipped
have you tried unpacking it using the built in unzip function.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Francois PIETTE" <fpiette@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:uHMgPaatHHA.412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
When unzipping a batch file using WinZip 11, I get an error "Windows has
blocked the file TestBak.bat from being extracted".

How do I change Vista setup so that batch files are allowed to be be
extracted ?

Best regards,
--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

Francois PIETTE

Re: Vista block batch files from being unzipped
> have you tried unpacking it using the built in unzip function.

Once WinZip is installed, you have no more access to the built in unzip feature.

--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> a écrit dans le message de news:Oi4ZyRetHHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
have you tried unpacking it using the built in unzip function.

"Francois PIETTE" <fpiette@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:uHMgPaatHHA.412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
When unzipping a batch file using WinZip 11, I get an error "Windows has
blocked the file TestBak.bat from being extracted".

How do I change Vista setup so that batch files are allowed to be be
extracted ?

Best regards,
--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

Neil Harley

Francois PIETTE wrote:
> > have you tried unpacking it using the built in unzip function.

> Once WinZip is installed, you have no more access to the built in unzip
> feature.

Have you looked to see if the zip file is blocked?

Right click and look at the bottom of the General Tab
Francois PIETTE

Re: Vista block batch files from being unzipped
>> > have you tried unpacking it using the built in unzip function.
>>
>> Once WinZip is installed, you have no more access to the built in unzip
>> feature.
>>

> Have you looked to see if the zip file is blocked?
>
> Right click and look at the bottom of the General Tab

The problem seems linked to a zip file downloaded from the internet. Looks
like Vista remember I downloaded the file from the internet. Unzipping a bat
file from another zip file doesn't pose any problem. Strange, strange...

--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

Neil Harley

Francois PIETTE wrote:

>>> Once WinZip is installed, you have no more access to the built in
>>> unzip feature.
>>>

>> Have you looked to see if the zip file is blocked?
>>
>> Right click and look at the bottom of the General Tab

> The problem seems linked to a zip file downloaded from the internet.
> Looks like Vista remember I downloaded the file from the internet.
> Unzipping a bat file from another zip file doesn't pose any problem.
> Strange, strange...

So was your zip blocked or not? From your answer I can't make out if you
have solved the issue or not!
Francois PIETTE

Re: Vista block batch files from being unzipped
> So was your zip blocked or not?

The zip was not blocked at all. Was is blocked is a batch file which is into
the zip. Everything unzip perfectly, except the batch file. When unzipping a
batch file (alone or with other files) using WinZip 11, I get an error
"Windows has
blocked the file TestBak.bat from being extracted".

> From your answer I can't make out if you have solved the issue or not!

I've got the batch file by other mean so I'm not stuck right now, but the
problem still has to be solved.

As I said in the previous message, it looks like Vista remember the zip file
has been downloaded and prohibe any bat file from being extracted. Other
files are OK from the same zip file, and other zip files created on my
system, containing bat files, do not have any problem.

--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

"Neil Harley" <nomail@home.com> a écrit dans le message de

>>> Have you looked to see if the zip file is blocked?
>>>
>>> Right click and look at the bottom of the General Tab

>> The problem seems linked to a zip file downloaded from the internet.
>> Looks like Vista remember I downloaded the file from the internet.
>> Unzipping a bat file from another zip file doesn't pose any problem.
>> Strange, strange...
>>

> So was your zip blocked or not? From your answer I can't make out if you
> have solved the issue or not!

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Vista block batch files from being unzipped
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:31:53 +0200, "Francois PIETTE"

>> So was your zip blocked or not?

>The zip was not blocked at all. Was is blocked is a batch file which is into
>the zip. Everything unzip perfectly, except the batch file. When unzipping a
>batch file (alone or with other files) using WinZip 11, I get an error
>"Windows has blocked the file TestBak.bat from being extracted".

Hm, interesting.

What I'd do is create a do-nothing .BAT (such as a single REM
statement), zip it up, and see if you get repro. If you don't, then
send that .ZIP to yourself so that when it arrives by email, it should
be flagged as from "the Internet", and retry.

If you still don't get repro, then have a very close look at the
particular .BAT (is it .BAT.PIF? Does it contain MZ code, or "nasty"
statements? Is the .ZIP password-protected? Do the av's logs say
anything about intercepting it?)

>As I said in the previous message, it looks like Vista remember the zip file
>has been downloaded and prohibe any bat file from being extracted. Other
>files are OK from the same zip file, and other zip files created on my
>system, containing bat files, do not have any problem.

OK, then yes; it prolly does indeed "remember" these as being to be
handled in the Internet Zone (at least, if not Restricted Zone). Or
there's a different Vista mechanism involved, such as IE 7's Protected
Mode - are these pulled down via IE 7? Do you get repro if you pull
then down via, say, Firefox?

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

Francois PIETTE

Re: Vista block batch files from being unzipped
I've done the test with the mail. Here is the result: Vista block the bat
file when trying to extract from the zip file saved from the mail I sent to
myself. There was no problem to extract from the original zip file.

So I confirm it is a problem with security settings in the system. I used
"Windows Mail" to send/receive the mail with teh attached zip file.

Where are the security settings ? I guess I have to use secpol.msc. I'd like
to know where to search because there are so much items to try !

> OK, then yes; it prolly does indeed "remember" these as being to be
> handled in the Internet Zone (at least, if not Restricted Zone). Or
> there's a different Vista mechanism involved, such as IE 7's Protected
> Mode - are these pulled down via IE 7? Do you get repro if you pull
> then down via, say, Firefox?

I have not used IE7 to get the file. It was sent by email.

Regards,
--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> a écrit
dans le message de news:tdpv731272lpidqpac06g225g0okgja54c@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:31:53 +0200, "Francois PIETTE"
>
>>> So was your zip blocked or not?

>>The zip was not blocked at all. Was is blocked is a batch file which is
>>into
>>the zip. Everything unzip perfectly, except the batch file. When unzipping
>>batch file (alone or with other files) using WinZip 11, I get an error
>>"Windows has blocked the file TestBak.bat from being extracted".

> Hm, interesting.
>
> What I'd do is create a do-nothing .BAT (such as a single REM
> statement), zip it up, and see if you get repro. If you don't, then
> send that .ZIP to yourself so that when it arrives by email, it should
> be flagged as from "the Internet", and retry.
>
> If you still don't get repro, then have a very close look at the
> particular .BAT (is it .BAT.PIF? Does it contain MZ code, or "nasty"
> statements? Is the .ZIP password-protected? Do the av's logs say
> anything about intercepting it?)
>
>>As I said in the previous message, it looks like Vista remember the zip
>>file
>>has been downloaded and prohibe any bat file from being extracted. Other
>>files are OK from the same zip file, and other zip files created on my
>>system, containing bat files, do not have any problem.

> OK, then yes; it prolly does indeed "remember" these as being to be
> handled in the Internet Zone (at least, if not Restricted Zone). Or
> there's a different Vista mechanism involved, such as IE 7's Protected
> Mode - are these pulled down via IE 7? Do you get repro if you pull
> then down via, say, Firefox?
>

>>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

> Tip Of The Day:
> To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...
>>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Vista block batch files from being unzipped
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:29:31 +0200, "Francois PIETTE"

>I've done the test with the mail. Here is the result: Vista block the bat
>file when trying to extract from the zip file saved from the mail I sent to
>myself. There was no problem to extract from the original zip file.

>So I confirm it is a problem with security settings in the system. I used
>"Windows Mail" to send/receive the mail with teh attached zip file.

>Where are the security settings ?

I don't know if it's changed, but when IE4's OE and MS Office 2000's
Outbreak debuted HTML "message text", it was handled in the Internet
Zone by duuuuhfault, tho you could set it to Restricted Zone.

IOW, the "security model" in those days was along the lines of IE's
security zones, not NT/NTFS's permissions, account rights, etc.

Bubbleboy PoC'd malware attack via scripts embedded in "message text".
then Kak went wild, then San and Valentine dropped destructive
payloads into the same email mechanism, as AFAICR did BleBla.

Throughout all of this, MS kept shipping these HTML-aware email
clients in Intrernet Zone by duuuuhfault. In fact, it was only with
Windows and MS Office XP that this changed - at last, the default is
Restricted Zone. This may be what's biting you in Vista, or it may be
a separate setting somewhere within Windows Mail.

Personally, I just avoid MSware email apps and use Eudora instead.

>I guess I have to use secpol.msc. I'd like to know where to search
>because there are so much items to try !

I'd start with IE's security zone settings and details, then look for
settings within Windows Mail - something like latter-day OE's "block
dangerous attachment types" checkbox. It would be good security to
propagate that block down through contents of .ZIP archives, even when
they are moved. Chances are the marker might be an ADS; look for
that, or exclude it by copying the downloaded copy of the .zip to a
FATxx file system, try again from there, then if no joy, rename and
try again (in case the name is tracked somehow).

>> OK, then yes; it prolly does indeed "remember" these as being to be
>> handled in the Internet Zone (at least, if not Restricted Zone). Or
>> there's a different Vista mechanism involved, such as IE 7's Protected
>> Mode - are these pulled down via IE 7? Do you get repro if you pull
>> then down via, say, Firefox?

>I have not used IE7 to get the file. It was sent by email.

OK. Both OE and Outlook used to work with IE's security zones, and in
fact passed the message "text" to the same HTML rendering engine. As
I say, I don't know whether that has changed in Vista; I suspect not,
in that HTML is such a significant risk surface, I doubt if it would
be duplicated. Let's see if a search picks up anything... yep!

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...m-malware.aspx

"While Windows Mail blocks running executables even when they are
included in a .ZIP file, other email clients could as well if they
used a technology available (via APIs) in Windows called Attachment
Manager (AM), first introduced in Windows XP Service Pack 2"

(I see why you're referring to Group Policy}

Not finding what I was looking for; the role (if any) of ADS in
tagging such content.

I'm on a ten-year lunch break