System Restore

Adun T'Far

System Restore
Ok I am really screwed up. some guy hid my admin account using the registry
hack. (add a dword with the account name) and now i cant log into anything
but guest. When trying system restore i got:

there was an unexpected error

class not registered

Please close system restore and try again.

Is there any way I can fix my main problem which is to unhide my admin
account? All i can do is remove the password on it. I just need to log in and
delete the registry key or use system restore, which doesnt work.

Need help
thanks.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: System Restore
Adun

Not sure what you mean by "some guy" hid your admin account?
Was this someone who knew your password? Was this perhaps the network
administrator for your company or your parent?

Also not sure what you mean by "all I can do is remove the password on it"?
You cannot remove a password from an admin account if you are logged on as
Guest?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Adun T'Far" <Adun T'Far@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok I am really screwed up. some guy hid my admin account using the
> registry
> hack. (add a dword with the account name) and now i cant log into anything
> but guest. When trying system restore i got:
>
> there was an unexpected error
>
> class not registered
>
> Please close system restore and try again.
>
> Is there any way I can fix my main problem which is to unhide my admin
> account? All i can do is remove the password on it. I just need to log in
> and
> delete the registry key or use system restore, which doesnt work.
>
> Need help
> thanks.

Adun T''''Far

Re: System Restore
Well, a person, I dont know who, "hid" my admin account by using this tutorial:
http://www.petri.co.il/hide_a_user_f...ndows_xp. htm
(It works the same in windows vista) I guess I didnt press the lock button
or I misclicked and I left my computer fully logged in. I can remove my
password from the guest account by pressing ctrl-alt-delete -> press change a
password -> and change "guest" to my admin name "GamePlaya3159" and change my
admin password to nothing.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Adun
>
> Not sure what you mean by "some guy" hid your admin account?
> Was this someone who knew your password? Was this perhaps the network
> administrator for your company or your parent?
>
> Also not sure what you mean by "all I can do is remove the password on it"?
> You cannot remove a password from an admin account if you are logged on as
> Guest?
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Adun T'Far" <Adun T'Far@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok I am really screwed up. some guy hid my admin account using the
> > registry
> > hack. (add a dword with the account name) and now i cant log into anything
> > but guest. When trying system restore i got:
> >
> > there was an unexpected error
> >
> > class not registered
> >
> > Please close system restore and try again.
> >
> > Is there any way I can fix my main problem which is to unhide my admin
> > account? All i can do is remove the password on it. I just need to log in
> > and
> > delete the registry key or use system restore, which doesnt work.
> >
> > Need help
> > thanks.

brink

Re: System Restore

Adun T''''Far;355018 Wrote:
> Well, a person, I dont know who, "hid" my admin account by using this
> tutorial:
> 'Hide a User from the Welcome Screen in Windows XP'
> (http://tinyurl.com/6loz8)
> (It works the same in windows vista) I guess I didnt press the lock
> button
> or I misclicked and I left my computer fully logged in. I can remove
> my
> password from the guest account by pressing ctrl-alt-delete -> press
> change a
> password -> and change "guest" to my admin name "GamePlaya3159" and
> change my
> admin password to nothing.

Have you tried reversing that tutorial to see if it will unhide your
account? Change the value to 1 instead of 0. Then reboot. Just
deleting it would not change it back.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Adun T''''Far

Re: System Restore
Yes, I tried changing it to 1 but it said "Error writing value", now i assume
thats because im using the guest account. Do you know if the Windows Vista
install cd has a cmd prompt that has admin rights? I forgot the disk at work
so, I cant test it. Either, that or another solution?

Thanks for all you help everyone

"brink" wrote:

> Have you tried reversing that tutorial to see if it will unhide your
> account? Change the value to 1 instead of 0. Then reboot. Just
> deleting it would not change it back.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: System Restore
Adun

Yes, you can access the repair environment with the installation disk. Your
best strategy at this point is to enable the built-in Administrator account.
You can then use this account to unhide your administrator account. This
account is hidden by default when Vista is installed and does not have a
password associated with it. Jimmy Brush MVP, has automated this procedure,
which makes it easy to use.

Go to the following website.

What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator account:
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx

Use the 'Option 2' to enable the built-in administrator account. Be sure to
print the instructions before starting.

After you do this, log in with the administrator account and unhide your
original account.

--

> Yes, I tried changing it to 1 but it said "Error writing value", now i
> assume
> thats because im using the guest account. Do you know if the Windows Vista
> install cd has a cmd prompt that has admin rights? I forgot the disk at
> work
> so, I cant test it. Either, that or another solution?
>
> Thanks for all you help everyone
>
> "brink" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried reversing that tutorial to see if it will unhide your
>> account? Change the value to 1 instead of 0. Then reboot. Just
>> deleting it would not change it back.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
>> Please post feedback to help others.

Adun T''''Far

Re: System Restore

This may seem dumb to ask, but what is the password?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Adun
>
> Yes, you can access the repair environment with the installation disk. Your
> best strategy at this point is to enable the built-in Administrator account.
> You can then use this account to unhide your administrator account. This
> account is hidden by default when Vista is installed and does not have a
> password associated with it. Jimmy Brush MVP, has automated this procedure,
> which makes it easy to use.
>
> Go to the following website.
>
> What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator account:
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx
>
> Use the 'Option 2' to enable the built-in administrator account. Be sure to
> print the instructions before starting.
>
> After you do this, log in with the administrator account and unhide your
> original account.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Adun T''''Far" <AdunTFar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I tried changing it to 1 but it said "Error writing value", now i
> > assume
> > thats because im using the guest account. Do you know if the Windows Vista
> > install cd has a cmd prompt that has admin rights? I forgot the disk at
> > work
> > so, I cant test it. Either, that or another solution?
> >
> > Thanks for all you help everyone
> >
> > "brink" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried reversing that tutorial to see if it will unhide your
> >> account? Change the value to 1 instead of 0. Then reboot. Just
> >> deleting it would not change it back.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Shawn
> >>

> >> --
> >> brink
> >>
> >> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> >> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> >> Please post feedback to help others.

Adun T''''Far

Re: System Restore

This may seem dumb, but what is the password?
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Adun
>
> Yes, you can access the repair environment with the installation disk. Your
> best strategy at this point is to enable the built-in Administrator account.
> You can then use this account to unhide your administrator account. This
> account is hidden by default when Vista is installed and does not have a
> password associated with it. Jimmy Brush MVP, has automated this procedure,
> which makes it easy to use.
>
> Go to the following website.
>
> What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator account:
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx
>
> Use the 'Option 2' to enable the built-in administrator account. Be sure to
> print the instructions before starting.
>
> After you do this, log in with the administrator account and unhide your
> original account.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Adun T''''Far" <AdunTFar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I tried changing it to 1 but it said "Error writing value", now i
> > assume
> > thats because im using the guest account. Do you know if the Windows Vista
> > install cd has a cmd prompt that has admin rights? I forgot the disk at
> > work
> > so, I cant test it. Either, that or another solution?
> >
> > Thanks for all you help everyone
> >
> > "brink" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried reversing that tutorial to see if it will unhide your
> >> account? Change the value to 1 instead of 0. Then reboot. Just
> >> deleting it would not change it back.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Shawn
> >>

> >> --
> >> brink
> >>
> >> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> >> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> >> Please post feedback to help others.

Adun T''''Far

Re: System Restore

Nevermind I reset it using:
net user administrator password99

Thanks for your help Ronnie!

"Adun T''''Far" wrote:

> This may seem dumb, but what is the password?
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Adun
> >
> > Yes, you can access the repair environment with the installation disk. Your
> > best strategy at this point is to enable the built-in Administrator account.
> > You can then use this account to unhide your administrator account. This
> > account is hidden by default when Vista is installed and does not have a
> > password associated with it. Jimmy Brush MVP, has automated this procedure,
> > which makes it easy to use.
> >
> > Go to the following website.
> >
> > What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator account:
> > http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx
> >
> > Use the 'Option 2' to enable the built-in administrator account. Be sure to
> > print the instructions before starting.
> >
> > After you do this, log in with the administrator account and unhide your
> > original account.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >

> > "Adun T''''Far" <AdunTFar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, I tried changing it to 1 but it said "Error writing value", now i
> > > assume
> > > thats because im using the guest account. Do you know if the Windows Vista
> > > install cd has a cmd prompt that has admin rights? I forgot the disk at
> > > work
> > > so, I cant test it. Either, that or another solution?
> > >
> > > Thanks for all you help everyone

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: System Restore
Adun

There shouldn't have been a password associated with that account, unless
someone set a password for the account.

Glad this worked for you. Enjoy.