Stored User Name and Password - feature BROKEN

Ted W

Stored User Name and Password - feature BROKEN
The Stored User Name and Password feature does not work as it did in XP.

You used to be able save a Login/Password pairs for any domain and those
credentials would be passed on whenever you needed access to ANY resource or
service on the domain. This was a great help to us consultants whose laptops
are never homed to our clients domains.

The removal of this functionality causes no end of headaches. XP's feature
was a great help to those of us who roam between domains. Personally I can't
see this as a security breach as it will only work if you already have valid
credentials on the domain in the first place. And since you can store
Logins/Passwords for any machine on the domain anyway, it really is just an
improved management feature.

Now if the excuse for removing this feature was that it would limit
non-domain computers from accessing resources on networks they are not homed
in, then it actually encourages bad security practices as people will end up
resorting to using Standard logins (SQL Server) for resources that they
could formally use an integrated login.

Microsoft please restore this feature or explain why it was considered such
a security hole that needed to be removed in the first place.

Thnx
TED

Don Varnau

Re: Stored User Name and Password - feature BROKEN
Hi,
Longshot... I'm definitely *not* a networking guy ;-)
Internet Options> Security> Internet (and Intranet) Zones> Custom Level>
User Authentication> try the "Automatic logon" options.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Ted W" <atedw@com_nospam_cast.net> wrote in message
> The Stored User Name and Password feature does not work as it did in XP.
>
> You used to be able save a Login/Password pairs for any domain and those
> credentials would be passed on whenever you needed access to ANY resource

or
> service on the domain. This was a great help to us consultants whose

laptops
> are never homed to our clients domains.
>
> The removal of this functionality causes no end of headaches. XP's feature
> was a great help to those of us who roam between domains. Personally I

can't
> see this as a security breach as it will only work if you already have

valid
> credentials on the domain in the first place. And since you can store
> Logins/Passwords for any machine on the domain anyway, it really is just

an
> improved management feature.
>
> Now if the excuse for removing this feature was that it would limit
> non-domain computers from accessing resources on networks they are not

homed
> in, then it actually encourages bad security practices as people will end

up
> resorting to using Standard logins (SQL Server) for resources that they
> could formally use an integrated login.
>
> Microsoft please restore this feature or explain why it was considered

such
> a security hole that needed to be removed in the first place.
>
> Thnx
> TED

Ted W

Re: Stored User Name and Password - feature BROKEN
Nope - its already set to that. And besides this is a Windows Authentication
thing I need fixed, not IE.

thnx
TED

> Hi,
> Longshot... I'm definitely *not* a networking guy ;-)
> Internet Options> Security> Internet (and Intranet) Zones> Custom Level>
> User Authentication> try the "Automatic logon" options.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Ted W" <atedw@com_nospam_cast.net> wrote in message
>> The Stored User Name and Password feature does not work as it did in XP.
>>
>> You used to be able save a Login/Password pairs for any domain and those
>> credentials would be passed on whenever you needed access to ANY resource

> or
>> service on the domain. This was a great help to us consultants whose

> laptops
>> are never homed to our clients domains.
>>
>> The removal of this functionality causes no end of headaches. XP's
>> feature
>> was a great help to those of us who roam between domains. Personally I

> can't
>> see this as a security breach as it will only work if you already have

> valid
>> credentials on the domain in the first place. And since you can store
>> Logins/Passwords for any machine on the domain anyway, it really is just

> an
>> improved management feature.
>>
>> Now if the excuse for removing this feature was that it would limit
>> non-domain computers from accessing resources on networks they are not

> homed
>> in, then it actually encourages bad security practices as people will end

> up
>> resorting to using Standard logins (SQL Server) for resources that they
>> could formally use an integrated login.
>>
>> Microsoft please restore this feature or explain why it was considered

> such
>> a security hole that needed to be removed in the first place.
>>
>> Thnx
>> TED

Ted W

Re: Stored User Name and Password - feature BROKEN
Could someone from Microsoft please respond to this issue?
This is a serious problem for people with laptops who roam between domains.

"Ted W" <atedw@com_nospam_cast.net> wrote in message
> The Stored User Name and Password feature does not work as it did in XP.
>
> You used to be able save a Login/Password pairs for any domain and those
> credentials would be passed on whenever you needed access to ANY resource
> or service on the domain. This was a great help to us consultants whose
> laptops are never homed to our clients domains.
>
> The removal of this functionality causes no end of headaches. XP's feature
> was a great help to those of us who roam between domains. Personally I
> can't see this as a security breach as it will only work if you already
> have valid credentials on the domain in the first place. And since you can
> store Logins/Passwords for any machine on the domain anyway, it really is
> just an improved management feature.
>
> Now if the excuse for removing this feature was that it would limit
> non-domain computers from accessing resources on networks they are not
> homed in, then it actually encourages bad security practices as people
> will end up resorting to using Standard logins (SQL Server) for resources
> that they could formally use an integrated login.
>
> Microsoft please restore this feature or explain why it was considered
> such a security hole that needed to be removed in the first place.
>
> Thnx
> TED

brink

Ted W;353416 Wrote:
> The Stored User Name and Password feature does not work as it did in XP.
>
> You used to be able save a Login/Password pairs for any domain and
> those
> credentials would be passed on whenever you needed access to ANY
> resource or
> service on the domain. This was a great help to us consultants whose
> laptops
> are never homed to our clients domains.
>
> The removal of this functionality causes no end of headaches. XP's
> feature
> was a great help to those of us who roam between domains. Personally I
> can't
> see this as a security breach as it will only work if you already have
> valid
> credentials on the domain in the first place. And since you can store
> Logins/Passwords for any machine on the domain anyway, it really is
> just an
> improved management feature.
>
> Now if the excuse for removing this feature was that it would limit
> non-domain computers from accessing resources on networks they are not
> homed
> in, then it actually encourages bad security practices as people will
> end up
> resorting to using Standard logins (SQL Server) for resources that they
> could formally use an integrated login.
>
> Microsoft please restore this feature or explain why it was considered
> such
> a security hole that needed to be removed in the first place.
>
> Thnx
> TED

Hi Ted,

I do not know if this will help or not, but you might look at this
link.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...rds.html?ltr=S

Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Patrick O''''Connor

RE: Stored User Name and Password - feature BROKEN
Same problem here. We switched our laptop users to Vista (oops, in
retrospect). Beofre domain\* would cover everything from DFS shares, our app
server, and exchange. Now they have at least 3 entries floating around.
Explaining updating one (90 day password expiration...) is substantially
easier than conveying the fact that every entry with "domain" in it needs to
be changed.

Please readd this feature in Vista SP1, or sooner.