Moving windows 2000 hard drives to vista

Cecil

Moving windows 2000 hard drives to vista
Hello;

I have a new machine on the way that is running vista business. I need to
physically move 2 windows 2000 small business server EIDE drives into the new
machine. I have removed security restrictions on the drives and given full
access on the drives to "everyone". I will probably want to "take ownership"
of the drives when they get moved but is there anything else that I am
missing? Anyone else do this and can show me the pitfalls?

Thanks in advance.
Cecil

Bruce Chambers

Re: Moving windows 2000 hard drives to vista
Cecil wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I have a new machine on the way that is running vista business. I need to
> physically move 2 windows 2000 small business server EIDE drives into the new
> machine. I have removed security restrictions on the drives and given full
> access on the drives to "everyone". I will probably want to "take ownership"
> of the drives when they get moved but is there anything else that I am
> missing?

Will the new computer have an EIDE controller to which you can connect
the hard drives?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Cecil

Re: Moving windows 2000 hard drives to vista
Bruce,

Thank you for your reply! Yes the new computer will have an IDE controller
one way or the other. If there isn't one installed I have already checked on
a PCI card that will give me 4 IDE channels for the 2 hard drives and
possibly even moving a DVD RW.

I am wondering what I should do with permissions, taking ownership, and
things of that nature to prep the drives for the move 1) to a new machine and
2) to a different OS. They are both NTFS drives. One is data only and the
other is the boot / OS drive.

Thank you for your reply!
Cecil