Computer dramatically slow with Vista

Jean DENOEL

Computer dramatically slow with Vista
Hi,
I installed Vista on my PC (ACER Aspire T120E-S965 with AMD Sempron(tm)
3000+ 2.00 Ghz and 1.00 Go RAM).
After trying more than 10 times, it seems to be finally stable but it is
DRAMATICALLY SLOW!!!
I'm glad I chose to install it on a second partition, using dual-boot
because I couldn't use it for my general work in such conditions.
With XP, it works just fine (so I don't believe my computer is responsible).
I also installed Vista on my notebook which doesn't seem to suffer the same
problem.
The major difference between these two installations is that I activated
Windows Vista on the slow machine and not yet on the notebook.
Any explanation?
Thank you
Mac

Re: Computer dramatically slow with Vista
Is it doing a lot of disk activity or struggling for memory?

"Jean DENOEL" <JeanDENOEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I installed Vista on my PC (ACER Aspire T120E-S965 with AMD Sempron(tm)
> 3000+ 2.00 Ghz and 1.00 Go RAM).
> After trying more than 10 times, it seems to be finally stable but it is
> DRAMATICALLY SLOW!!!
> I'm glad I chose to install it on a second partition, using dual-boot
> because I couldn't use it for my general work in such conditions.
> With XP, it works just fine (so I don't believe my computer is
> responsible).
> I also installed Vista on my notebook which doesn't seem to suffer the
> same
> problem.
> The major difference between these two installations is that I activated
> Windows Vista on the slow machine and not yet on the notebook.
> Any explanation?
> Thank you

Jean DENOEL

Re: Computer dramatically slow with Vista
Hi Mac,
Thanks for joining me for this problem.
No, the disk doesn't seem to be more involved than when using XP.
The computer seems just to "hang on" (doing what?)
For example, if I open Internet Explorer (with just "about:blank" as the
address) it takes more than 20 seconds to open. Any program takes much more
time to load than the same program with XP. That's what I call slow.

Jean

"Mac" wrote:

> Is it doing a lot of disk activity or struggling for memory?
>
> "Jean DENOEL" <JeanDENOEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I installed Vista on my PC (ACER Aspire T120E-S965 with AMD Sempron(tm)
> > 3000+ 2.00 Ghz and 1.00 Go RAM).
> > After trying more than 10 times, it seems to be finally stable but it is
> > DRAMATICALLY SLOW!!!
> > I'm glad I chose to install it on a second partition, using dual-boot
> > because I couldn't use it for my general work in such conditions.
> > With XP, it works just fine (so I don't believe my computer is
> > responsible).
> > I also installed Vista on my notebook which doesn't seem to suffer the
> > same
> > problem.
> > The major difference between these two installations is that I activated
> > Windows Vista on the slow machine and not yet on the notebook.
> > Any explanation?
> > Thank you

Mac

Re: Computer dramatically slow with Vista
Are you running the Aero features?

> Hi Mac,
> Thanks for joining me for this problem.
> No, the disk doesn't seem to be more involved than when using XP.
> The computer seems just to "hang on" (doing what?)
> For example, if I open Internet Explorer (with just "about:blank" as the
> address) it takes more than 20 seconds to open. Any program takes much
> more
> time to load than the same program with XP. That's what I call slow.
>
> Jean
>
> "Mac" wrote:
>
>> Is it doing a lot of disk activity or struggling for memory?
>>
>> "Jean DENOEL" <JeanDENOEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I installed Vista on my PC (ACER Aspire T120E-S965 with AMD Sempron(tm)
>> > 3000+ 2.00 Ghz and 1.00 Go RAM).
>> > After trying more than 10 times, it seems to be finally stable but it
>> > is
>> > DRAMATICALLY SLOW!!!
>> > I'm glad I chose to install it on a second partition, using dual-boot
>> > because I couldn't use it for my general work in such conditions.
>> > With XP, it works just fine (so I don't believe my computer is
>> > responsible).
>> > I also installed Vista on my notebook which doesn't seem to suffer the
>> > same
>> > problem.
>> > The major difference between these two installations is that I
>> > activated
>> > Windows Vista on the slow machine and not yet on the notebook.
>> > Any explanation?
>> > Thank you

Jean DENOEL

Re: Computer dramatically slow with Vista
No, I disconnected Aero features.
And, thinking about it, the disk is working more than for the same
operations in XP

"Mac" wrote:

> Are you running the Aero features?
>
> "Jean DENOEL" <JeanDENOEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Mac,
> > Thanks for joining me for this problem.
> > No, the disk doesn't seem to be more involved than when using XP.
> > The computer seems just to "hang on" (doing what?)
> > For example, if I open Internet Explorer (with just "about:blank" as the
> > address) it takes more than 20 seconds to open. Any program takes much
> > more
> > time to load than the same program with XP. That's what I call slow.
> >
> > Jean
> >
> > "Mac" wrote:
> >
> >> Is it doing a lot of disk activity or struggling for memory?

Mac

Re: Computer dramatically slow with Vista
You could try to switch off services you don't need. I suspect indexing may
be slowing you down at this time, background defrag too maybe. Have a look
in Task Manager to see what is running and have a look here...

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

> No, I disconnected Aero features.
> And, thinking about it, the disk is working more than for the same
> operations in XP
>
> "Mac" wrote:
>
>> Are you running the Aero features?
>>
>> "Jean DENOEL" <JeanDENOEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Mac,
>> > Thanks for joining me for this problem.
>> > No, the disk doesn't seem to be more involved than when using XP.
>> > The computer seems just to "hang on" (doing what?)
>> > For example, if I open Internet Explorer (with just "about:blank" as
>> > the
>> > address) it takes more than 20 seconds to open. Any program takes much
>> > more
>> > time to load than the same program with XP. That's what I call slow.
>> >
>> > Jean

Jean DENOEL

Re: Computer dramatically slow with Vista
Thanks, Mac, I'll do that and I'll let you know if it worked.
Talk to you later.

"Mac" wrote:

> You could try to switch off services you don't need. I suspect indexing may
> be slowing you down at this time, background defrag too maybe. Have a look
> in Task Manager to see what is running and have a look here...
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
>
> "Jean DENOEL" <JeanDENOEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No, I disconnected Aero features.
> > And, thinking about it, the disk is working more than for the same
> > operations in XP
> >
> > "Mac" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you running the Aero features?

Jean DENOEL

Re: Computer dramatically slow with Vista
Hi Mac,
I've gone to the site you suggest me to look to.
It helped.
I haven't read or applied all the changes it suggested but my computer isn't
as slow as it did.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate.