"You need permission to perform this action"

Tryin_to_Learn

"You need permission to perform this action"
I'm so frustrated. I'm trying to do such simple things -- I transfer a file
from my external harddrive to my new computer. Then I try to rename it or
delete it and get the "You need permission" run-around. I'm the only user of
this machine and it's an administrator account so it makes no sense to me.
Then with another folder, I renamed it and all went well. Then I tried to
rename it a second time and got the "You need permission" message. I had just
renamed it! How can it give me permission once and deny permission the second
time? I've looked through some of the other posts with similar problems and I
see suggestions about command line executions and stuff and yeah, if that's
what I have to do, I'll do it. But it seems like something is seriously wrong
with this program to be so hard for the typical user (i.e., non-IT person).

So, after my brief rant . . . anyone have ideas what I need to do here? One
thing I'm concerned about . . . I bought this computer as a display model.
The computer name (core admin account) was set to "Best Buy". (Guess where I
bought the computer <g>.) Anyway, I took it back, told them I didn't want my
computer named Best Buy and that I hadn't been able to rename it. They ended
up creating a new admin account, transferring all the files to that, and then
deleting the Best Buy account. Could that be part of why I'm having trouble?

Help?
Jimmy Brush

Re: "You need permission to perform this action"
Hello,

The prompts are meant to protect system locations (such as program files
and c:\) from non-administrative access.

You should not be experiencing any prompting when accessing files inside
of your user folder (such as Documents, Pictures, etc) or folders that
you have created in Windows Vista.

You may have to go through a prompt to access folders or files from
other hard drives.

You can change the security settings on folders and files to stop them
from prompting, but you should only do this on folders that you created
or only contain files that you will create, you should never do that on
system folders.

Can you be more specific as to what version of Windows Vista you have
and what locations are prompting you for permission?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Tryin_to_Learn

Re: "You need permission to perform this action"
I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium and the files I was trying to change were
all in the Documents folder in my user folder.

Tryin_to_Learn wrote:
> I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium and the files I was trying to change were
> all in the Documents folder in my user folder.
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The prompts are meant to protect system locations (such as program files
>> and c:\) from non-administrative access.
>>
>> You should not be experiencing any prompting when accessing files inside
>> of your user folder (such as Documents, Pictures, etc) or folders that
>> you have created in Windows Vista.
>>
>> You may have to go through a prompt to access folders or files from
>> other hard drives.
>>
>> You can change the security settings on folders and files to stop them
>> from prompting, but you should only do this on folders that you created
>> or only contain files that you will create, you should never do that on
>> system folders.
>>
>> Can you be more specific as to what version of Windows Vista you have
>> and what locations are prompting you for permission?
>>
>> --
>> -JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

See if this helps:

- Click start
- Type: command prompt
- Right-click command prompt when it appears
- Click Run As Administrator
- Type the following commands exactly, pressing enter after each line:

cd %userprofile%
icacls . /grant "%username%"OI)(CI)(F) /T /C /L /Q

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
Tryin_to_Learn

Re: "You need permission to perform this action"
Here's an update -- I tried connecting to email support and got the error
message that my Product ID is invalid. I even tried having Microsoft get the
Product ID directly from my computer and it still says the ID is invalid. I
had used the same Live Chat support a few days ago, before Best Buy deleted
the original admin account and set this one up and I was able to get in just
fine. Any ideas what's causing my ID to appear invalid? I'd like to be able
to use LiveChat if I need to.

Also, now I'm unable to replicate the problem I was having earlier. I'm no
longer getting the "need permission" message in the Documents folder. The
only thing I can think of is that I had tried enabling sharing of that folder
and then rebooted my computer. Could that have fixed it?

"Tryin_to_Learn" wrote:

> I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium and the files I was trying to change were
> all in the Documents folder in my user folder.
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The prompts are meant to protect system locations (such as program files
> > and c:\) from non-administrative access.
> >
> > You should not be experiencing any prompting when accessing files inside
> > of your user folder (such as Documents, Pictures, etc) or folders that
> > you have created in Windows Vista.
> >
> > You may have to go through a prompt to access folders or files from
> > other hard drives.
> >
> > You can change the security settings on folders and files to stop them
> > from prompting, but you should only do this on folders that you created
> > or only contain files that you will create, you should never do that on
> > system folders.
> >
> > Can you be more specific as to what version of Windows Vista you have
> > and what locations are prompting you for permission?
> >
> > --
> > -JB
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Tryin_to_Learn

Re: "You need permission to perform this action"
Ok -- I'm afraid I'm dense but just to be sure -- do I actually type
userprofile? I'm thinking I do type that, but I substitute my username where
it says username, right? Also, when I get the command prompt, it's
automatically signed in as an administrator.

Tryin_to_Learn wrote:
> Here's an update -- I tried connecting to email support and got the error
> message that my Product ID is invalid. I even tried having Microsoft get the
> Product ID directly from my computer and it still says the ID is invalid. I
> had used the same Live Chat support a few days ago, before Best Buy deleted
> the original admin account and set this one up and I was able to get in just
> fine. Any ideas what's causing my ID to appear invalid? I'd like to be able
> to use LiveChat if I need to.
>
> Also, now I'm unable to replicate the problem I was having earlier. I'm no
> longer getting the "need permission" message in the Documents folder. The
> only thing I can think of is that I had tried enabling sharing of that folder
> and then rebooted my computer. Could that have fixed it?

Enabling sharing may have done it, it does muck around with security
settings.

Not sure about the support question, considering it was fine before, but
I have heard that in some cases you have to get support through your
computer manufacturer and not Microsoft directly.

Tryin_to_Learn wrote:
> Ok -- I'm afraid I'm dense but just to be sure -- do I actually type
> userprofile? I'm thinking I do type that, but I substitute my username where
> it says username, right? Also, when I get the command prompt, it's
> automatically signed in as an administrator.
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> See if this helps:
>>
>> - Click start
>> - Type: command prompt
>> - Right-click command prompt when it appears
>> - Click Run As Administrator
>> - Type the following commands exactly, pressing enter after each line:
>>
>> cd %userprofile%
>> icacls . /grant "%username%"OI)(CI)(F) /T /C /L /Q
>>
>> --
>> -JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

You can type those commands exactly as I typed them - those %%'d items
are automatically filled in with the correct value by your computer.

Or you can fille them in yourself if you'd like. %userprofile% is your
user profile folder.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
Tryin_to_Learn

Re: "You need permission to perform this action"
Ok, I did what you suggested. Keep your fingers crossed.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Tryin_to_Learn wrote:
> > Ok -- I'm afraid I'm dense but just to be sure -- do I actually type
> > userprofile? I'm thinking I do type that, but I substitute my username where
> > it says username, right? Also, when I get the command prompt, it's
> > automatically signed in as an administrator.
> >
> > "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
> >
> >> See if this helps:
> >>
> >> - Click start
> >> - Type: command prompt
> >> - Right-click command prompt when it appears
> >> - Click Run As Administrator
> >> - Type the following commands exactly, pressing enter after each line:
> >>
> >> cd %userprofile%
> >> icacls . /grant "%username%"OI)(CI)(F) /T /C /L /Q
> >>
> >> --
> >> -JB
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
> >>

> You can type those commands exactly as I typed them - those %%'d items
> are automatically filled in with the correct value by your computer.
>
> Or you can fille them in yourself if you'd like. %userprofile% is your
> user profile folder.
>
> --
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

James Hallett

I am tryin to delete a file from my "programs file" that I no longer require
and I keep getting a message saying that i do not have permission.

I am the administrator of this computer and am the only user.

How do I get permission so that this message will not come back on any
folder i try to delete in the future?

This is really frustrating and i have alot of folders which give me this
message mainly from software created folders where i have uninstalled the
software and wish to delete the remaining folder as it is no longer needed.

Also some software that has been installed i wish to uninstall but once
again i get the same message how do I solve this problem too?