UPGRADE PROBLEM

lightfla

UPGRADE PROBLEM
I have built a windows VISTA Basic PC for my sister. I just received the
hardrive from her previous PC and installed the drive as slave. I want to
transfer files, favorites, email account info etc but am not able to access
those folder because of insufficient rights. The old hard drive has windows
XP home edition installed on it. How can i gain rights on the new computer
to gain full access to all files etc on the old PC hard drive. There is alot
of data in ducments and setting especially that I want to transfer to the new
system. Thanks in advance...lightfla@comcast.net
Jimmy Brush

Re: UPGRADE PROBLEM
lightfla wrote:
> I have built a windows VISTA Basic PC for my sister. I just received the
> hardrive from her previous PC and installed the drive as slave. I want to
> transfer files, favorites, email account info etc but am not able to access
> those folder because of insufficient rights. The old hard drive has windows
> XP home edition installed on it. How can i gain rights on the new computer
> to gain full access to all files etc on the old PC hard drive. There is alot
> of data in ducments and setting especially that I want to transfer to the new
> system. Thanks in advance...lightfla@comcast.net

Hello,

This problem is caused by the security settings that Windows XP has
applied to the hard drive as well as the new security in Windows Vista.

In Windows Vista, only programs that ask for your permission ("Windows
needs your permission to continue") are allowed to use your
administrator powers.

This prevents programs from using your administrator power that you did
not start.

In order to access most of the files on the other hard drive, you will
either need to change the security settings on the files or use your
Windows Vista administrator power.

If you are actually wanting to copy the files from the old hard drive to
the new one and won't need access to the old hard drive for everyday
use, the easiest solution is to use your Windows Vista administrator power.

I would recommend temporarily disabling the new security in Windows
Vista to allow every program you run to use your administrator power.
This will make it very easy to transfer the settings.

To do this:

- Click start
- Click Control Panel
- Click User Accounts and Family Safety
- Click User Accounts
- Click Turn User Account Control on or off
- Uncheck the box
- Click OK
- Restart your computer

After you import the files you need, be sure to re-enable this setting
to turn the Windows Vista security features back on.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
lightfla

Re: UPGRADE PROBLEM
Thankyou. I did exactly that and it worked fine.
Regards