Administrator rights

Hovis

Administrator rights
I am the sole user of my computer and there is only one account with me as
administrator. I use incredimail as my default mail but since the download of
some windows updates when I open the mail prog I get the message that
incredimail is not my default mail program. When I ask vista to make it my
default mail it tells me I need administrator rights. Cannot understand how
to get round this. Tried relogging again with the only account (mine) but
still problem persists
Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrator rights
Hovis wrote:
> I am the sole user of my computer and there is only one account with me as
> administrator. I use incredimail as my default mail but since the download of
> some windows updates when I open the mail prog I get the message that
> incredimail is not my default mail program. When I ask vista to make it my
> default mail it tells me I need administrator rights. Cannot understand how
> to get round this. Tried relogging again with the only account (mine) but
> still problem persists

Hello,

How are you asking Vista to make it your default program?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Dennis Kudin

Re: Administrator rights
This is not a good practice to work as administrator all the time.
You should have a user account and work under it. When necessary, you
can switch to administrator. Thus, there will be much lower chance for a
malicious program to be installed and run successfully on your PC.

When you change the default mail program, User Account Control asks you
to confirm this this administrative task by elevating the privileges.
You can just agree to this request.

In Vista, even admin account does not have the full rights by default.
Being the adminstrator, you can manually set the rights you actually need.

--
Best regards,
Dennis Kudin

Hovis wrote:
> I am the sole user of my computer and there is only one account with me as
> administrator. I use incredimail as my default mail but since the download of
> some windows updates when I open the mail prog I get the message that
> incredimail is not my default mail program. When I ask vista to make it my
> default mail it tells me I need administrator rights. Cannot understand how
> to get round this. Tried relogging again with the only account (mine) but
> still problem persists

alshab7

Re: Administrator rights
hi dennis,
i need to ask you how to get computer administrator with full privilages,
because i need to enable Nero Image Drive but it cannot be enabled unless
computer administrator (not administrator account) has been logged in,,,
please anybody can help me on that ....

"Dennis Kudin" wrote:

> This is not a good practice to work as administrator all the time.
> You should have a user account and work under it. When necessary, you
> can switch to administrator. Thus, there will be much lower chance for a
> malicious program to be installed and run successfully on your PC.
>
> When you change the default mail program, User Account Control asks you
> to confirm this this administrative task by elevating the privileges.
> You can just agree to this request.
>
> In Vista, even admin account does not have the full rights by default.
> Being the adminstrator, you can manually set the rights you actually need.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Dennis Kudin
> kudin@bezpeka.com
> http://www.security-ukraine.com
>

> Hovis wrote:
> > I am the sole user of my computer and there is only one account with me as
> > administrator. I use incredimail as my default mail but since the download of
> > some windows updates when I open the mail prog I get the message that
> > incredimail is not my default mail program. When I ask vista to make it my
> > default mail it tells me I need administrator rights. Cannot understand how
> > to get round this. Tried relogging again with the only account (mine) but
> > still problem persists

Hovis

Re: Administrator rights
A pop window comes up and asks if I want to make Incredimail my default mail
client. When I click yes it tells me I do not have admin rights. The program
does open but if I close it and open again it's the same story

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hovis wrote:
> > I am the sole user of my computer and there is only one account with me as
> > administrator. I use incredimail as my default mail but since the download of
> > some windows updates when I open the mail prog I get the message that
> > incredimail is not my default mail program. When I ask vista to make it my
> > default mail it tells me I need administrator rights. Cannot understand how
> > to get round this. Tried relogging again with the only account (mine) but
> > still problem persists

> Hello,
>
> How are you asking Vista to make it your default program?
>
> --
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Hovis

Re: Administrator rights
When I open incredimail it says if I want it to make it my default client.
When I click yes it says I do not have admin rights to which I have to click
ok. The program opens but next time I open it, it's the same story all over
again so it has not made it my default prog

"Dennis Kudin" wrote:

> This is not a good practice to work as administrator all the time.
> You should have a user account and work under it. When necessary, you
> can switch to administrator. Thus, there will be much lower chance for a
> malicious program to be installed and run successfully on your PC.
>
> When you change the default mail program, User Account Control asks you
> to confirm this this administrative task by elevating the privileges.
> You can just agree to this request.
>
> In Vista, even admin account does not have the full rights by default.
> Being the adminstrator, you can manually set the rights you actually need.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Dennis Kudin
> kudin@bezpeka.com
> http://www.security-ukraine.com
>

> Hovis wrote:
> > I am the sole user of my computer and there is only one account with me as
> > administrator. I use incredimail as my default mail but since the download of
> > some windows updates when I open the mail prog I get the message that
> > incredimail is not my default mail program. When I ask vista to make it my
> > default mail it tells me I need administrator rights. Cannot understand how
> > to get round this. Tried relogging again with the only account (mine) but
> > still problem persists

Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrator rights
Hello,

This is happening because the prompt is coming from your e-mail program,
and not Windows itself. It sounds like it is trying to change the
default e-mail settings for the entire computer, and not just your
account, which needs administrator power (which the e-mail client does
not have).

It seems the e-mail program you are using does not yet know how to ask
for your administrator power.

In Windows Vista, only programs that you give permission for ("Windows
needs your permission to continue") are allowed to use your admin power.

This stops programs from using your admin power that you do not start or
that do not reasonably need admin power.

I would suggest using the "Set program defaults" control panel to tell
Windows that you want to use this e-mail program as your default.

- Click start
- Click Programs
- Click Default Programs
- Click Set your Default Programs
- Select your e-mail program, and then choose one of the buttons on the
right

If your e-mail program is not displayed there, then it would probably be
easiest to run the e-mail program with your administrator power one time
and then allow it to change the e-mail settings that it is wanting to
change.

- Right-click the e-mail program
- Click Run As Administrator

I would suggest closing the e-mail program immediately after it changes
the setting, and then restarting it normally (without admin power).
Other than for this purpose, I can't think of a good reason an e-mail
program should be running with admin power.