Group Policy Client Service

mrlinx

Group Policy Client Service
Hi!

I was developing an application using VS.NET 2005, and debugging some code
on Security Permissions for Registry access and all the sudden the IDE
crashed. Because I couldn't reopen VS.NET, I restarted the computer.

At the Logon screen, it now says: "The Group Policy Client service failed to
logon. Access is denied".

I can't go using safe mode, last know good configuration, directory repair,
etc. Always the same error.

This computer only a have local account.

His there any solution to this problem?

PS: I wanted to find the logs, but can't find a way to logon.
Mike Brannigan

Re: Group Policy Client Service
"mrlinx" <mrlinx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I was developing an application using VS.NET 2005, and debugging some code
> on Security Permissions for Registry access and all the sudden the IDE
> crashed. Because I couldn't reopen VS.NET, I restarted the computer.
>
> At the Logon screen, it now says: "The Group Policy Client service failed
> logon. Access is denied".
>
> I can't go using safe mode, last know good configuration, directory
> repair,
> etc. Always the same error.
>
> This computer only a have local account.
>
> His there any solution to this problem?
>
> PS: I wanted to find the logs, but can't find a way to logon.

If you have catastrophically impacted the security settings such that a key
system component such as the Group Policy Client service is unable to start,
then you may have a problem..
[The GPC service is required to process local group policy and is a new
service for Windows Vista since he old client policy service was part of Win
Logon and thus was a potential cause of instability in XP]
If the machine will not start in safe mode etc then you should try booting
from the DVD and using the Windows Repair Environment, if that fails then
you will probably be forced to reinstall the OS. Your data should be safe,
but you may have to reinstall your applications and development tools.

--

Mike Brannigan

mrlinx

Re: Group Policy Client Service
Thanks.

I used the DVD to restore to a last known point and worked.