AutoUpdates Won't Insteall: Says ADMIN has "limited rights"

Rampager83

AutoUpdates Won't Insteall: Says ADMIN has "limited rights"
I'm helping a bud try to get past this problem. He has a Toshiba laptop
running Vista Ultimate. Some TOSHIBA updates were downloaded and generate
the following message when he tries to install them:

"The TOSHIBA Software Upgrades application may not start, because the
current user has limited rights to system resources."

The user is in the primary ADMIN account.

I've tried the gpedit suggestion I found in another thread, but had no
success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rampager83
Mac

Re: AutoUpdates Won't Insteall: Says ADMIN has "limited rights"
May need to activate the hidden admin account or is that what you mean by
primary?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...+account+vista

"Rampager83" <Rampager83@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm helping a bud try to get past this problem. He has a Toshiba laptop
> running Vista Ultimate. Some TOSHIBA updates were downloaded and generate
> the following message when he tries to install them:
>
> "The TOSHIBA Software Upgrades application may not start, because the
> current user has limited rights to system resources."
>
> The user is in the primary ADMIN account.
>
> I've tried the gpedit suggestion I found in another thread, but had no
> success.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Rampager83

Jimmy Brush

Rampager83 wrote:
> I'm helping a bud try to get past this problem. He has a Toshiba laptop
> running Vista Ultimate. Some TOSHIBA updates were downloaded and generate
> the following message when he tries to install them:
>
> "The TOSHIBA Software Upgrades application may not start, because the
> current user has limited rights to system resources."
>
> The user is in the primary ADMIN account.
>
> I've tried the gpedit suggestion I found in another thread, but had no
> success.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Rampager83

Hello,

Sounds like the Toshiba updater and/or updater files are not compatible
with Vista.

If the update files themselves are executable, right-click on them and
click run as administrator.

Otherwise, you will need to start the updater with admin power by
right-clicking it and clicking Run As Administrator.

In Windows Vista, only programs that ask for your permission ("Windows
needs your permission to continue") are allowed to use your
administrator power.

This stops programs from using your admin power that you did not start.

Administrative programs that aren't made for Vista don't know how to ask
to use your admin power.

To use these programs, you must right-click on them and click Run As
Administrator.

If you always want a certain program to ask for your administrator power
when it starts, you can right-click the program, click properties, click
on the compatibility tab, and put a check next to run as administrator.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User