How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium ?

Palmtree345

How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium ?
How do I turn off the Guest Account in Windows Vista HOME PREMIUM? The
Microsoft Help menu says how to turn it off IF the person is NOT
using Vista Home Premium. Unfortunately, it does not say anywhere how to
turn this off when using Vista Home Premium.

I've been through all the menus in the Control Panel / User Accounts. Also,
I've searched through the Microsoft Knowledge Base with no luck.

I have 3 standard user accounts that are password-protected and 1
administrator account (which is mine). (The problem is my ****age son is
using the Guest Account.) Thank you.
brink

Re: How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium ?

Hi Palmtree345,

Try this out: (Must be in a administrator account)
1. Open User Accounts. (In Control Panel)
2. Click on "Manage another account". (In blue)
3. Double Left click the "Guest" account icon.
4. Click "Turn off the guest account". (In blue)
5. Now you should see "Guest account is off" under the Guest name.

That's it.
Also, if you want to keep your son off, make sure the other accounts
are password protected with a password he can not guess.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Palmtree345

Re: How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium
Thank you for your idea but, unfortunately, that option is not available in
my Administrator account.

In the Control Panel, I go to "Add or Remove User Accounts". Then there's
some security pop-up type window to click on. Then I'm in the "Manage
Accounts" window. There are only the 4 user accounts (including mine) and an
"ASP.NET Machine Account". So, 5 accounts are shown. There is no Guest
Account which is peculiar because it clearly shows a Guest Account on the
Windows Vista login screen.

Anyway, there is no "Manage Another Account" option on this window (on my
Win Vista HOME PREMIUM). This is what is so catch-22 about this. I'm
supposed to be able to disable it but there is no way to do it!

Any more ideas? Thank you.

"brink" wrote:

> Hi Palmtree345,
>
> Try this out: (Must be in a administrator account)
> 1. Open User Accounts. (In Control Panel)
> 2. Click on "Manage another account". (In blue)
> 3. Double Left click the "Guest" account icon.
> 4. Click "Turn off the guest account". (In blue)
> 5. Now you should see "Guest account is off" under the Guest name.
>
> That's it.
> Also, if you want to keep your son off, make sure the other accounts
> are password protected with a password he can not guess.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

brink

Re: How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium ?

OK,

When you go into Control Panel, make sure you click "Classic View" in
the upper left corner. This will show the Control Panel with icons,
like the old days. Then follow the above instructions to see if you
have the same. It should be, I have Home premium as well.

Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Palmtree345

Re: How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium
In the Control Panel, I switched to "Classic View" and then selected "User
Accounts". Then the next window showed the normal Win Vista screen - this
new windows was not in classic view.

I navigated through Manage User Accounts and again, there were the 5
accounts (4 user accounts plus the "ASP.NET Machine Account"). There was no
Guest Account to modify.

I think when I set up Vista (it was already installed on the laptop), it
asked if I wanted ASP.NET. I would have answered "yes" that I may need to
use it. I wonder if this takes the place of the Guest Account ?? In any
case, when I double click on the "ASP.NET" account, I am not able to turn it
off - there is no option in blue.

"brink" wrote:

> OK,
>
> When you go into Control Panel, make sure you click "Classic View" in
> the upper left corner. This will show the Control Panel with icons,
> like the old days. Then follow the above instructions to see if you
> have the same. It should be, I have Home premium as well.
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

Michael Walraven

Re: How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium
ASP.NET is a 'user' installed by Microsoft application programs, it provides
(as I understand it) a basis of various standard functions for other
programs to call in a standardized way. It is OK and most systems probably
have it.

I seem to remember that there is a registry entry for accounts that are NOT
supposed to be visible. But of course I don't remember its actual location.
Depending on how far you want to continue this, you might use regedit to
search for 'Guest' and see if any of the entries seem like they are
applicable. (standard warning - you can really screw up your machine mucking
in the registry).

Also using the command

control userpasswords2

gets you another look at current accounts, perhaps something here could
provide a clue.
You might check that all the accounts are of the type you think they should
be (properties - group membership).

Michael

"Palmtree345" <Palmtree345@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the Control Panel, I switched to "Classic View" and then selected "User
> Accounts". Then the next window showed the normal Win Vista screen - this
> new windows was not in classic view.
>
> I navigated through Manage User Accounts and again, there were the 5
> accounts (4 user accounts plus the "ASP.NET Machine Account"). There was
> no
> Guest Account to modify.
>
> I think when I set up Vista (it was already installed on the laptop), it
> asked if I wanted ASP.NET. I would have answered "yes" that I may need to
> use it. I wonder if this takes the place of the Guest Account ?? In
> any
> case, when I double click on the "ASP.NET" account, I am not able to turn
> it
> off - there is no option in blue.
>
> ************************************************** ******
>
> "brink" wrote:
>

>> OK,
>>
>> When you go into Control Panel, make sure you click "Classic View" in
>> the upper left corner. This will show the Control Panel with icons,
>> like the old days. Then follow the above instructions to see if you
>> have the same. It should be, I have Home premium as well.
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
>> Please post feedback to help others.

brink

Re: How do I turn off Guest Account in Windows Vista Home Premium ?

OK,

Well you can try setting up Parental Controls in the Control Panel to
block access.

OR

You can go to the extreme and try this:
1. Click on Computer (In Start Menu)
2. Right click on your hard drive (usually Local Disk (C: )) and click
Properties.
3. Click the Security tab.
4. Click the Edit button.
5. Select the User account you want to deny. (See screenshot below)

303

6. In bottom pane, click the options you want denied for that user
account/group.
7. Click Apply to make the change.
8. Answer Yes to any confirmation windows, including for all subfolders
and files underneath.

Just make sure you are in a administrator account and don't do your
account by accident. If you have any problems afterwards, just go back
and undo the changes you made. If somehow it really messed things up,
then reboot into Safe Mode (Hit F8 while rebooting) and go back and undo
the changes you made.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

|Filename: Deny.jpg |