Administrator Rights

Jimbo

Administrator Rights
I have one account set up on a Vista Business 64 HP Laptop. I am trying to
deinstall some software and it keeps telling me that I have to have admin
rights and to contact the administrator. I am the administrator. Also, I
can't run sfc, except in safe mode. There is some HP software called HP
Protect Tools for Administrator, but, I can't run it, nor deinstall it,
because I am not an Administrator, even though my account states I am. ANy
thoughts...Is this caused by HP??

Thank you
Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrator Rights
Jimbo wrote:
> I have one account set up on a Vista Business 64 HP Laptop. I am trying to
> deinstall some software and it keeps telling me that I have to have admin
> rights and to contact the administrator. I am the administrator. Also, I
> can't run sfc, except in safe mode. There is some HP software called HP
> Protect Tools for Administrator, but, I can't run it, nor deinstall it,
> because I am not an Administrator, even though my account states I am. ANy
> thoughts...Is this caused by HP??
>
> Thank you

Hello,

In Windows Vista, even though you are an administrator, only programs
that ask for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to
continue") are allowed to use your admin power.

This helps keep your computer secure by only allowing administrative
programs that you start to use your admin power.

Programs that need admin power but were made before Vista do not know
how to ask you for your admin power.

To use these programs, you have to right-click on them and click Run As
Administrator. This will indicate to Windows that you want them to use
your admin power.

If you want a program that does not currently prompt for admin power to
always prompt you in the future, you can right-click on the program,
click properties, click the compatibility tab, and put a check next to
run as administrator.

Also, to use administrative command-line utilities, you must start them
from an administrative command prompt - right-click on command prompt,
and click Run As Administrator.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
FrustratedVistaUserInTexas

RE: Administrator Rights
Jimbo,

I have a similiar problem. I bought an HP Pavillion 9000 a week ago. It has
Vista Home Premium preloaded on it. The retailer threw in a free Canon MP160
multifunction printer. Well I canot get the printer to install at all. I keep
getting "An error has occured" popup. Talk about frustrating! I contacted HP
and Canon both and they basically saw its the others problem. I did however
get a tip on how to log on as full administrator. I think it works but I have
to wait and see. Here's what you do:
Click start
Enter "cmd" into the run box
Type
net users Administrator /active

You should have full rights now but I dunno........

Dale