Administrator?????

Phil

Administrator?????
Hi,

I first posted this under Vista General, but then saw this group so I
decided to post it here also.

I have a notebook with only one user, ME. I have administrator rights, but
in trying to do certain things (as simple as running program) I'm told that
I have to have Administrator privileges. What am I missing??????

For example. If I double click on certain icons on my desktop the program
will open, but not work correctly. If I right click on the icon and select
"Run as Administrator" the program works fine. On some icons I get the
message that I need to be an Administrator to open the program.

If I go into User Accounts, I'm the only one listed and it says
"Administrator."

I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Thanks,
Phil

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrator?????
Phil

In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still run
with Standard account privileges. This is part of the new security model in
Vista. If a program is completely compatible with Vista and you run the
program, it will simply run and not ask for permission unless it must access
sensitive or restricted parts of the system.

The programs that do not ask or tell you they need to have admin privileges,
are not Vista compatible. What you can do with these programs is right click
the programs icon and select Properties/Shortcut Tab/Advanced Button. Place
a check mark in the Run As Administrator option. If this is not a shortcut,
select the Compatibility Tab and select the same option at the bottom of
dialog. This will cause the program to ask for your permission.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Phil" <phil@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6CA341F-79B0-4822-9F3B-8AD7CC6657C8@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I first posted this under Vista General, but then saw this group so I
> decided to post it here also.
>
> I have a notebook with only one user, ME. I have administrator rights,
> but
> in trying to do certain things (as simple as running program) I'm told
> that
> I have to have Administrator privileges. What am I missing??????
>
> For example. If I double click on certain icons on my desktop the program
> will open, but not work correctly. If I right click on the icon and
> select
> "Run as Administrator" the program works fine. On some icons I get the
> message that I need to be an Administrator to open the program.
>
> If I go into User Accounts, I'm the only one listed and it says
> "Administrator."
>
> I'm running Vista Home Premium.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

direwolf1973@gmail.com

Re: Administrator?????
On Jun 13, 7:28 pm, "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <r...@invalid.org> wrote:
> Phil
>
> In Vista, even though you are using an Administrator account, you still run
> with Standard account privileges. This is part of the new security model in
> Vista. If a program is completely compatible with Vista and you run the
> program, it will simply run and not ask for permission unless it must access
> sensitive or restricted parts of the system.
>
> The programs that do not ask or tell you they need to have admin privileges,
> are not Vista compatible. What you can do with these programs is right click
> the programs icon and select Properties/Shortcut Tab/Advanced Button. Place
> a check mark in the Run As Administrator option. If this is not a shortcut,
> select the Compatibility Tab and select the same option at the bottom of
> dialog. This will cause the program to ask for your permission.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> "Phil" <p...@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> news6CA341F-79B0-4822-9F3B-8AD7CC6657C8@microsoft.com...
>
> > Hi,

> > I first posted this under Vista General, but then saw this group so I
> > decided to post it here also.

> > I have a notebook with only one user, ME. I have administrator rights,
> > but
> > in trying to do certain things (as simple as running program) I'm told
> > that
> > I have to have Administrator privileges. What am I missing??????

> > For example. If I double click on certain icons on my desktop the program
> > will open, but not work correctly. If I right click on the icon and
> > select
> > "Run as Administrator" the program works fine. On some icons I get the
> > message that I need to be an Administrator to open the program.

> > If I go into User Accounts, I'm the only one listed and it says
> > "Administrator."

> > I'm running Vista Home Premium.

> > Thanks,
> > Phil

Ronnie, do you know if it's possible to set admin permissions for all
applications globally (within the scope of a directory path), rather
than clicking each app individually?

--

Brian Stone
Microsoft SQL Server

rspheenix

RE: Administrator?????
Hi, Phil and all,

I do NOT have the final definitive accurate answer for this. What I will
share is confirmation today from a friend who has a "real" version of Vista.
This is after MANY hours of witless conversation with the Lenovo tech support
people. I am running a brand-new Lenovo desktop with what it claims is Vista
Home Premium. My problems with admin rights and accessing acounts started to
be deja vu all over again from the time I tried to help a friend with XP Home
on a cheap machine. The manufacturer has given/deployed THEIR version of
'Home' and it takes a bit of work to uncover the fact that there are
significant chunks of the o/s that have been surgically removed from the
"flavor". My friend visited, ran my machine for a few minutes, and had the
same revelation as mine - there is stuff missing.

You might want to explore that prospect before thinking it is your problem.

Regards from the steep-again part of the learning curve,

Justin
A+, MCDST
--
Justin