Admin Installation Urgent Reply Needed

Alfy

Admin Installation Urgent Reply Needed
Hello,

I'm just wondering I have windows Vista Home Basic and I have 3 people that
use this computer and they are set as Admin and I have to leave it that way.

If I install a program that I only want to use and no-one else on the
computer, how do I make that happen, whilst them still being Admin?

Thanks!
Mike Brannigan

Re: Admin Installation Urgent Reply Needed
"Alfy" <Alfy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm just wondering I have windows Vista Home Basic and I have 3 people
> that
> use this computer and they are set as Admin and I have to leave it that
> way.
>
> If I install a program that I only want to use and no-one else on the
> computer, how do I make that happen, whilst them still being Admin?
>
> Thanks!

]
You can't
If you let other user logon to your PC especially with admin privileges then
you have no personal security and they will be able to circumvent any
temporary blocks you try and put in place.
By default they do not need to have the icon on their start menu or desktop
but you will not be able to prevent them attempting to run the application
in a number of other way.

--

Mike Brannigan

kuan wai

RE: Admin Installation Urgent Reply Needed
In such a case where everyone's an admin, you can't. Or rather, if the other
users aren't that knowledgeable about ACLs, you can still achieve what you
want.

1) Open the Properties window of the application.
2) On the Security tab, click on Edit
3) Remove all the Groups and Users
4) Click on Add, and then search for your own user name and add it
5) Grant yourself with Full Control to the application

Just some additional knowledge, if the other admin users exercise their Take
Ownership priviledge on the application, there is nothing you can do to stop
them.

PS. I have never use the Home Basic before. I have no idea if there is any
Security tab available on the properties window. If there is none and if
Vista Home Basic has the same behavior as XP Home, you can enter Vista in
safe mode, open the properties window of the application and the Security tab
should be there.