Vista - Admin Account is disabled

George-Oh Help

Vista - Admin Account is disabled
I am running vista Ultimate - I am unable to install a single program or do
anything with out permission and an administrator account that seems to be
locked out. I boot in safe mode to get to admin account and it advises me to
contact my network administrator - I am at home -----anyone know how to fix
this other than wipe disk?
Mac

Re: Vista - Admin Account is disabled
How did you end up with a machine that you are not authorized to administer?

"George-Oh Help" <George-Oh Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running vista Ultimate - I am unable to install a single program or do
> anything with out permission and an administrator account that seems to be
> locked out. I boot in safe mode to get to admin account and it advises me
> contact my network administrator - I am at home -----anyone know how to
> fix
> this other than wipe disk?

Mike Brannigan

Re: Vista - Admin Account is disabled
"George-Oh Help" <George-Oh Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running vista Ultimate - I am unable to install a single program or do
> anything with out permission and an administrator account that seems to be
> locked out. I boot in safe mode to get to admin account and it advises me
> contact my network administrator - I am at home -----anyone know how to
> fix
> this other than wipe disk?

There is nothing wrong with your PC.
By default the Administrator account (big A) is disabled (you won't need to
use it anyway)
If your account is a member of the administrator group - which it will be by
default if this is the first account you set up as you installed the system
then it is an admin account BUT it is subject to User Account Control (UAC),
which is why you may occasionally see a pop up message about requiring admin
privileges or rights to do something - this is normal and a great way to
protect you from yourself.
If you wish to know more about UAC and even how to turn it off (be very
careful and fully understand he risks you are exposing yourself to by doing
this)
Just open Help and Support and search for UAC.

--

Mike Brannigan

Charan

Re: Vista - Admin Account is disabled
Dear Sir,

I have purchased a laptop a lenovo 3000 N100 with Windows Vista Business
Edition.
I have been using a general user profile i created for myself and i have
forgotten the Admin password. I am in a soup because i need to install
programs like Antivirus, PDF convertor etc which i cant as i do not have the
admin rights.

Please guide how can this be resolved.

Regards,

Charan

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "George-Oh Help" <George-Oh Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running vista Ultimate - I am unable to install a single program or do
> > anything with out permission and an administrator account that seems to be
> > locked out. I boot in safe mode to get to admin account and it advises me
> > contact my network administrator - I am at home -----anyone know how to
> > fix
> > this other than wipe disk?

> There is nothing wrong with your PC.
> By default the Administrator account (big A) is disabled (you won't need to
> use it anyway)
> If your account is a member of the administrator group - which it will be by
> default if this is the first account you set up as you installed the system
> then it is an admin account BUT it is subject to User Account Control (UAC),
> which is why you may occasionally see a pop up message about requiring admin
> privileges or rights to do something - this is normal and a great way to
> protect you from yourself.
> If you wish to know more about UAC and even how to turn it off (be very
> careful and fully understand he risks you are exposing yourself to by doing
> this)
> Just open Help and Support and search for UAC.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Mac

Re: Vista - Admin Account is disabled
Who did you purchase it from?

"Charan" <Charan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have purchased a laptop a lenovo 3000 N100 with Windows Vista Business
> Edition.
> I have been using a general user profile i created for myself and i have
> forgotten the Admin password. I am in a soup because i need to install
> programs like Antivirus, PDF convertor etc which i cant as i do not have
> the
> admin rights.
>
> Please guide how can this be resolved.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charan
>
> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> "George-Oh Help" <George-Oh Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I am running vista Ultimate - I am unable to install a single program or
>> >do
>> > anything with out permission and an administrator account that seems to
>> > be
>> > locked out. I boot in safe mode to get to admin account and it advises
>> > me
>> > contact my network administrator - I am at home -----anyone know how to
>> > fix
>> > this other than wipe disk?

>> There is nothing wrong with your PC.
>> By default the Administrator account (big A) is disabled (you won't need
>> use it anyway)
>> If your account is a member of the administrator group - which it will be
>> by
>> default if this is the first account you set up as you installed the
>> system
>> then it is an admin account BUT it is subject to User Account Control
>> (UAC),
>> which is why you may occasionally see a pop up message about requiring
>> admin
>> privileges or rights to do something - this is normal and a great way to
>> protect you from yourself.
>> If you wish to know more about UAC and even how to turn it off (be very
>> careful and fully understand he risks you are exposing yourself to by
>> doing
>> this)
>> Just open Help and Support and search for UAC.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

Mac

Re: Vista - Admin Account is disabled
Mike - the OP has obviously aquired a stolen laptop...

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "George-Oh Help" <George-Oh Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:572B5C27-0DE2-4DCF-AFA5-ADA032D5EF5B@microsoft.com...
>>I am running vista Ultimate - I am unable to install a single program or
>>do
>> anything with out permission and an administrator account that seems to
>> be
>> locked out. I boot in safe mode to get to admin account and it advises
>> me to
>> contact my network administrator - I am at home -----anyone know how to
>> fix
>> this other than wipe disk?

> There is nothing wrong with your PC.
> By default the Administrator account (big A) is disabled (you won't need
> to use it anyway)
> If your account is a member of the administrator group - which it will be
> by default if this is the first account you set up as you installed the
> system then it is an admin account BUT it is subject to User Account
> Control (UAC), which is why you may occasionally see a pop up message
> about requiring admin privileges or rights to do something - this is
> normal and a great way to protect you from yourself.
> If you wish to know more about UAC and even how to turn it off (be very
> careful and fully understand he risks you are exposing yourself to by
> doing this)
> Just open Help and Support and search for UAC.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan

Re: Vista - Admin Account is disabled
"Charan" <Charan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have purchased a laptop a lenovo 3000 N100 with Windows Vista Business
> Edition.
> I have been using a general user profile i created for myself and i have
> forgotten the Admin password. I am in a soup because i need to install
> programs like Antivirus, PDF convertor etc which i cant as i do not have
> the
> admin rights.
>
> Please guide how can this be resolved.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charan

The very first account you create on a brand new machine is an admin
account - - so if you have forgotten that password and you created a
standard user account then you are indeed "in a soup".
As it sounds like you're still at the stage of setting up the PC you might
as well just reinstall the OS using the method provided by the
manufacturer - this may or may not be a destructive process to any data you
may currently have on the system (check with them).
You can then start afresh with a new admin account and install all your
software.

--

Mike Brannigan