Windows Message I don't understand

Becky

Windows Message I don't understand
My son't new Windows Vista laptop is confusing us. It keeps saying he "Needs
to Verify Windows" and that if he doesn't it will shut down in 2 weeks. What
is that about and how does he verify Windows? I've been trying to find the
answer to this all over the internet but maybe it's too simple for anyone to
mention. Can someone tell us before the lights go out??

Thanks in advance!

Becky
David Dickinson

Re: Windows Message I don't understand
"Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My son't new Windows Vista laptop is confusing us. It keeps saying he
> "Needs
> to Verify Windows" and that if he doesn't it will shut down in 2 weeks.
> What
> is that about and how does he verify Windows? I've been trying to find the
> answer to this all over the internet but maybe it's too simple for anyone
> mention. Can someone tell us before the lights go out??

Are you sure it's using those exact words? "Needs to Verify Windows"

If I'm correct in what Vista is actually telling you, it wants to be
"activated". It's part of Microsoft's program to protect itself from
thieves. If your copy of Vista isn't activated (apparently in a couple of
weeks on your machine) Vista won't exactly "shut down", but it will go into
"reduced functionality mode". Basically all you'll be able to do with it is
to go on the internet.

Go ahead and activate it:

1) Click the Start button, then Run.
2) Type in "slui.exe" and click OK.

The Activation Wizard will open. If it says "Activate Windows Now" then go
ahead an follow the procedure given.

If it says that Windows is already activated, then you're getting a message
from something else, and we'll need more detailed information before you do
anything.

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Becky

Re: Windows Message I don't understand
I bet that's it. He told me what the message said and he probably remembered
it wrong. I think we can do that. Thanks!