Fonts and UAC

vrycraftylady81

Fonts and UAC
I recently bought Print Shop 22, but some of the Windows fonts cause the
program to suddenly shut down. Fonts like 'gulimche, geobats, and batang'
seem to cause a lot of problems on my system. I try to delete these items in
the fonts folder, but UAC doesn't allow me.
I am the administrator on the computer, and I selected properties on the bad
fonts to try to get rid of them and went through all the advanced windows,
and they all said I had full control, yet when I try to delete the system
still claims I don't have permission.
I have never used these fonts in Vista or in XP, and they do nothing but
cause problems and I want them gone. How can I delete them to use my
publishing program freely?
Mac

Re: Fonts and UAC
You need to Take Control of the files before you can have do anything with
them

http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8248

"vrycraftylady81" <vrycraftylady81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:08687E31-A722-4909-84A3-7A6D1CE42476@microsoft.com...
>I recently bought Print Shop 22, but some of the Windows fonts cause the
> program to suddenly shut down. Fonts like 'gulimche, geobats, and batang'
> seem to cause a lot of problems on my system. I try to delete these items
> in
> the fonts folder, but UAC doesn't allow me.
> I am the administrator on the computer, and I selected properties on the
> bad
> fonts to try to get rid of them and went through all the advanced windows,
> and they all said I had full control, yet when I try to delete the system
> still claims I don't have permission.
> I have never used these fonts in Vista or in XP, and they do nothing but
> cause problems and I want them gone. How can I delete them to use my
> publishing program freely?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Fonts and UAC
vrycraftylady81,

Open the Fonts folder, right click the Font you want to delete and select
Properties/Security Tab.

Click the Advanced Button near the bottom. Select the Owner Tab. Select your
administrator account and click Apply/OK.

If your administrator account does not appear in the list on this dialog,
click the Edit Button and select your account, click Apply/OK.

Ok your way out of the properties dialog.

You should be able to delete the font file.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"vrycraftylady81" <vrycraftylady81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:08687E31-A722-4909-84A3-7A6D1CE42476@microsoft.com...
>I recently bought Print Shop 22, but some of the Windows fonts cause the
> program to suddenly shut down. Fonts like 'gulimche, geobats, and batang'
> seem to cause a lot of problems on my system. I try to delete these items
> in
> the fonts folder, but UAC doesn't allow me.
> I am the administrator on the computer, and I selected properties on the
> bad
> fonts to try to get rid of them and went through all the advanced windows,
> and they all said I had full control, yet when I try to delete the system
> still claims I don't have permission.
> I have never used these fonts in Vista or in XP, and they do nothing but
> cause problems and I want them gone. How can I delete them to use my
> publishing program freely?

EricFletcher

Re: Fonts and UAC
I am having exactly the same problem and this solution doesn't work for me at
all. No matter what I do, I get the "Destination Folder Access Denied" dialog
telling me I need "...permission to perform this action". I am logged in as
Administrator. Even if I disable UAC, I still cannot remove a font.

I looked at the "JoeJoe" link but feel a bit uneasy about downloading
something with so little apparent documentation and explanation --
particularly for something that appears to be designed to overcome security
issues.

On the other hand, I find it astonishing that this apparently simple task is
so complicated -- and that Vista's otherwise excellent Help is so completely
wrong in its explanation of how to uninstall a font.

I will certainly be monitoring this thread to see if there is a solution --
or if I've just somehow missed something obvious...

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> vrycraftylady81,
>
> Open the Fonts folder, right click the Font you want to delete and select
> Properties/Security Tab.
>
> Click the Advanced Button near the bottom. Select the Owner Tab. Select your
> administrator account and click Apply/OK.
>
> If your administrator account does not appear in the list on this dialog,
> click the Edit Button and select your account, click Apply/OK.
>
> Ok your way out of the properties dialog.
>
> You should be able to delete the font file.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

[snip]
Jimmy Brush

Re: Fonts and UAC
Hello,

Could one of you having the fonts issue do the following:

- Click start
- Find command prompt
- Right-click it, and click Run As Administrator
- Type the following commands:

cd %windir%\fonts
icacls FONT.ttf

(Where FONT.ttf is the filename of the problem font)

- Report back what that command reports

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
EricFletcher

Re: Fonts and UAC
Here's what I see:

C:\Windows\Fonts>icacls batang.ttc
batang.ttc NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerF)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsRX)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMRX)
BUILTIN\UsersRX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

That was for a font I'd like to remove (Batang). When I tried it with a font
I'd like to keep (Bookman Old Style; file named BOOKOS.TTF), the response is
slightly different:

BOOKOS.TTF NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMI)(F)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(F)
BUILTIN\UsersI)(RX)

Using "coure.fon" yeilds the same response as with "batang.ttc"; with
"MICHELIN.OTF" (a client's font I want to be able to use), I get the same
response as with "BOOKOS.TTF".

I hope this helps you diagnose the problem.

Thanks
Eric

EricFletcher wrote:
> Here's what I see:
>
> C:\Windows\Fonts>icacls batang.ttc
> batang.ttc NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerF)
> BUILTIN\AdministratorsRX)
> NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMRX)
> BUILTIN\UsersRX)
>
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>
> That was for a font I'd like to remove (Batang). When I tried it with a font
> I'd like to keep (Bookman Old Style; file named BOOKOS.TTF), the response is
> slightly different:
>
> BOOKOS.TTF NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMI)(F)
> BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(F)
> BUILTIN\UsersI)(RX)
>
> Using "coure.fon" yeilds the same response as with "batang.ttc"; with
> "MICHELIN.OTF" (a client's font I want to be able to use), I get the same
> response as with "BOOKOS.TTF".
>
> I hope this helps you diagnose the problem.
>
> Thanks
> Eric

It seem the fonts you are having trouble with are protected by the OS.
This would indicate that they were included with the OS, and some parts
of the OS may depend on their existence.

In order to delete them, you have to do 2 things:

1) Take ownership of the file
2) Give yourself permission to modify the file

You can do this from an administrator command prompt in any edition of
Windows Vista by issuing the following commands:

takeown /F filename /A
icacls filename /grant AdministratorsM)

After issuing these commands, you can delete the file.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
EricFletcher

Re: Fonts and UAC
Some progress at last! That sort of works but it will be awfully tedious for
all the fonts I want to remove. (The Acer laptop came with Vista installed,
and these fonts appear to be there "in case" I want to set other languages. I
will not need this functionality. More importantly though, if they are not
removed, they end up being included in the font pulldowns in programs I use,
and it slows things down -- and can too easily lead to incorrect choices. I
would expect Vista to make it easy to manage fonts -- and would have no
problem going through the UAC hoops since it is not something one normally
needs to do frequently.

I also discovered (from your web site) that if I run Windows Explorer as
administrator, I can get access to the Security part of a font's properties.
Then I can change it to give myself access and be able to delete it (or move
it to a folder in case I need to re-install it later).

However, although this is easier than using the command line (which seems
like a step back to DOS days!), it is still going to be awfully tedious to
remove the 30 or so fonts and their related face files.

I will perserver though, and will post an update here if I find a better or
easier solution.

Thanks for your assistance.