Standard User works like admin account

jcraig33

Standard User works like admin account
I am currently working on deploying 30 Dell PC's with Vista pre-installed on
them. I set up the first PC and deleted the admin account created at set up.
I then logged onto the PC with my log in. I show as a standard user. There
is an admin account set up on the PC, just not the one created during set up.
I can change my account from a standard user to an admin without a password.
The UAC works as if I am already an admin. I can change the clock and
everything else an admin can do. Is this because the original admin account
was deleted?
Michael Walraven

Re: Standard User works like admin account
If there is no 'user' administrator account then the 'default' administrator
account is enabled this account does not need a password. Vista is expecting
at least one 'user' administrator account on the system. The 'default'
administrator account cannot be deleted, but if there is a 'user'
administrator account on the system the 'default' cannot be used. Rational
is that there needs to be some way to perform administrative duties if ALL
the 'user' administrator accounts are deleted.
Michael

"jcraig33" <jcraig33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently working on deploying 30 Dell PC's with Vista pre-installed
>on
> them. I set up the first PC and deleted the admin account created at set
> up.
> I then logged onto the PC with my log in. I show as a standard user.
> There
> is an admin account set up on the PC, just not the one created during set
> up.
> I can change my account from a standard user to an admin without a
> password.
> The UAC works as if I am already an admin. I can change the clock and
> everything else an admin can do. Is this because the original admin
> account
> was deleted?

jcraig33

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> If there is no 'user' administrator account then the 'default' administrator
> account is enabled this account does not need a password. Vista is expecting
> at least one 'user' administrator account on the system. The 'default'
> administrator account cannot be deleted, but if there is a 'user'
> administrator account on the system the 'default' cannot be used. Rational
> is that there needs to be some way to perform administrative duties if ALL
> the 'user' administrator accounts are deleted.
> Michael
>

> "jcraig33" <jcraig33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am currently working on deploying 30 Dell PC's with Vista pre-installed
> >on
> > them. I set up the first PC and deleted the admin account created at set
> > up.
> > I then logged onto the PC with my log in. I show as a standard user.
> > There
> > is an admin account set up on the PC, just not the one created during set
> > up.
> > I can change my account from a standard user to an admin without a
> > password.
> > The UAC works as if I am already an admin. I can change the clock and
> > everything else an admin can do. Is this because the original admin
> > account
> > was deleted?

I reinstalled the OS, creating the administrator during setup. I then
downloaded the 18 current updates. When I added the computer to the domain
and logged in using a user login the account behaved as if it were an
administrator. The UAC would asked if I wished to continue, but wouldn't ask
for an administrative password. The account shows that it was a standard
user. When I take the PC off the domain and create a standard user account
the UAC behaves normally. Is there something that has to be done differently
when joining a domain. I wouldn't think that the domain users should be able
to change their account into an administrator without a password.
George-Oh Help

Re: Standard User works like admin account
when you guys figue this out tell me how to put the admin account back - We
have 18 preloaded dells that do not have admin privilages period... even in
safe mode...

"George-Oh Help" wrote:

> when you guys figue this out tell me how to put the admin account back - We
> have 18 preloaded dells that do not have admin privilages period... even in
> safe mode...
>
> "jcraig33" wrote:
>

> > "Michael Walraven" wrote:
> >
> > > If there is no 'user' administrator account then the 'default' administrator
> > > account is enabled this account does not need a password. Vista is expecting
> > > at least one 'user' administrator account on the system. The 'default'
> > > administrator account cannot be deleted, but if there is a 'user'
> > > administrator account on the system the 'default' cannot be used. Rational
> > > is that there needs to be some way to perform administrative duties if ALL
> > > the 'user' administrator accounts are deleted.
> > > Michael
> > >

> > > "jcraig33" <jcraig33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > I reinstalled the OS, creating the administrator during setup. I then
> > downloaded the 18 current updates. When I added the computer to the domain
> > and logged in using a user login the account behaved as if it were an
> > administrator. The UAC would asked if I wished to continue, but wouldn't ask
> > for an administrative password. The account shows that it was a standard
> > user. When I take the PC off the domain and create a standard user account
> > the UAC behaves normally. Is there something that has to be done differently
> > when joining a domain. I wouldn't think that the domain users should be able
> > to change their account into an administrator without a password.

Our problem was that a group policy needed to be set. Without this group
policy every domain user is treated as an admnistrator.
jcraig33

Re: Standard User works like admin account
Does anyone know exactly what server modifications and group policy settings
are necessary in order to get a domain user to function properly in Vista
Business. I still have standard users behaving as administrators.

"jcraig33" wrote:

> "George-Oh Help" wrote:
>
> > when you guys figue this out tell me how to put the admin account back - We
> > have 18 preloaded dells that do not have admin privilages period... even in
> > safe mode...

> > > I reinstalled the OS, creating the administrator during setup. I then
> > > downloaded the 18 current updates. When I added the computer to the domain
> > > and logged in using a user login the account behaved as if it were an
> > > administrator. The UAC would asked if I wished to continue, but wouldn't ask
> > > for an administrative password. The account shows that it was a standard
> > > user. When I take the PC off the domain and create a standard user account
> > > the UAC behaves normally. Is there something that has to be done differently
> > > when joining a domain. I wouldn't think that the domain users should be able
> > > to change their account into an administrator without a password.

> Our problem was that a group policy needed to be set. Without this group
> policy every domain user is treated as an admnistrator.

jcraig33

Re: Standard User works like admin account
The solution to my problem was to create a password for the default local
administrator. I could also have disabled the local administrator. Now the
standard user functions normally.