"...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB device!

Chris Thorn

"...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB device!
Hi there - thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I bought a Trust BT-2100p Bluetooth adapter for my PC the other day as it
said it was compatible with Vista (unlike a number of adapters on the
market). I downloaded the lastest drivers for Vista off the website instead
of using the drivers on the CD.

Each time I have tried to install it, the installation hangs on 0% as the
Bluetooth stack starts to install. After 30 seconds or so, I get a red
'critical' box appear which says:

The system administrator has set polices to prevent this installation.

The only option then is to press OK and the installation quits.

I was tearing my hair out yesterday trying to work out what to do. After a
lot of messing around I enabled the actual Administrator account on Vista
using Start > Run... > secpol.msc. I tried the installation logged on as
Administrator and still it hasn't worked.

I've enabled and disabled various bits and pieces such as Windows Installer
etc, and items regarding elevated privileges, but still it won't work.

If anyone can help me install this Bluetooth dongle I'd be so happy I'd
probably cry.

Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
Tim

Re: "...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB device!
I think the first obvious question (since it wasn't stated in your post)
would be: are you in a corporate environment attached to a domain? If so,
you need to talk to the network/server administrator about the group policy.
Different story if you are on a home network. Please post back...

Tim

"Chris Thorn" <ChrisThorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there - thanks for taking the time to help me out.
>
> I bought a Trust BT-2100p Bluetooth adapter for my PC the other day as it
> said it was compatible with Vista (unlike a number of adapters on the
> market). I downloaded the lastest drivers for Vista off the website
> instead
> of using the drivers on the CD.
>
> Each time I have tried to install it, the installation hangs on 0% as the
> Bluetooth stack starts to install. After 30 seconds or so, I get a red
> 'critical' box appear which says:
>
> The system administrator has set polices to prevent this installation.
>
> The only option then is to press OK and the installation quits.
>
> I was tearing my hair out yesterday trying to work out what to do. After a
> lot of messing around I enabled the actual Administrator account on Vista
> using Start > Run... > secpol.msc. I tried the installation logged on as
> Administrator and still it hasn't worked.
>
> I've enabled and disabled various bits and pieces such as Windows
> Installer
> etc, and items regarding elevated privileges, but still it won't work.
>
> If anyone can help me install this Bluetooth dongle I'd be so happy I'd
> probably cry.
>
> Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Chris Thorn

Re: "...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB devi
Hi Tim, sorry I should have said. I'm just on a home PC. I should also say
I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.

"Tim" wrote:

> I think the first obvious question (since it wasn't stated in your post)
> would be: are you in a corporate environment attached to a domain? If so,
> you need to talk to the network/server administrator about the group policy.
> Different story if you are on a home network. Please post back...
>
> Tim
>
> "Chris Thorn" <ChrisThorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there - thanks for taking the time to help me out.
> >
> > I bought a Trust BT-2100p Bluetooth adapter for my PC the other day as it
> > said it was compatible with Vista (unlike a number of adapters on the
> > market). I downloaded the lastest drivers for Vista off the website
> > instead
> > of using the drivers on the CD.
> >
> > Each time I have tried to install it, the installation hangs on 0% as the
> > Bluetooth stack starts to install. After 30 seconds or so, I get a red
> > 'critical' box appear which says:
> >
> > The system administrator has set polices to prevent this installation.
> >
> > The only option then is to press OK and the installation quits.
> >
> > I was tearing my hair out yesterday trying to work out what to do. After a
> > lot of messing around I enabled the actual Administrator account on Vista
> > using Start > Run... > secpol.msc. I tried the installation logged on as
> > Administrator and still it hasn't worked.
> >
> > I've enabled and disabled various bits and pieces such as Windows
> > Installer
> > etc, and items regarding elevated privileges, but still it won't work.
> >
> > If anyone can help me install this Bluetooth dongle I'd be so happy I'd
> > probably cry.
> >
> > Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: "...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB device!
Chris,

Have you read the Trust manual for installing this driver in Vista?

Before you start making changes to Vista, you need to contact Trust and ask
about any known issues with those Beta drivers. They are the people who will
be aware of any problems.

Trust - Contact:
http://www.trust.com/support/contact.aspx?item=15076

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Chris Thorn" <ChrisThorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there - thanks for taking the time to help me out.
>
> I bought a Trust BT-2100p Bluetooth adapter for my PC the other day as it
> said it was compatible with Vista (unlike a number of adapters on the
> market). I downloaded the lastest drivers for Vista off the website
> instead
> of using the drivers on the CD.
>
> Each time I have tried to install it, the installation hangs on 0% as the
> Bluetooth stack starts to install. After 30 seconds or so, I get a red
> 'critical' box appear which says:
>
> The system administrator has set polices to prevent this installation.
>
> The only option then is to press OK and the installation quits.
>
> I was tearing my hair out yesterday trying to work out what to do. After a
> lot of messing around I enabled the actual Administrator account on Vista
> using Start > Run... > secpol.msc. I tried the installation logged on as
> Administrator and still it hasn't worked.
>
> I've enabled and disabled various bits and pieces such as Windows
> Installer
> etc, and items regarding elevated privileges, but still it won't work.
>
> If anyone can help me install this Bluetooth dongle I'd be so happy I'd
> probably cry.
>
> Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Chris Thorn

Re: "...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB devi
Thanks Ronnie.

I checked out the manual first but it just seems to refer to XP. I emailed
Trust about 10 days ago but have not heard anything back.

Thanks for the link, I'll email them again now.

In your opinion do you reckon it's most likely to be their drivers that are
'at fault', assuming my system security policies etc are set to 'default'?

Chris

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Have you read the Trust manual for installing this driver in Vista?
>
> Before you start making changes to Vista, you need to contact Trust and ask
> about any known issues with those Beta drivers. They are the people who will
> be aware of any problems.
>
> Trust - Contact:
> http://www.trust.com/support/contact.aspx?item=15076
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Chris Thorn" <ChrisThorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there - thanks for taking the time to help me out.
> >
> > I bought a Trust BT-2100p Bluetooth adapter for my PC the other day as it
> > said it was compatible with Vista (unlike a number of adapters on the
> > market). I downloaded the lastest drivers for Vista off the website
> > instead
> > of using the drivers on the CD.
> >
> > Each time I have tried to install it, the installation hangs on 0% as the
> > Bluetooth stack starts to install. After 30 seconds or so, I get a red
> > 'critical' box appear which says:
> >
> > The system administrator has set polices to prevent this installation.
> >
> > The only option then is to press OK and the installation quits.
> >
> > I was tearing my hair out yesterday trying to work out what to do. After a
> > lot of messing around I enabled the actual Administrator account on Vista
> > using Start > Run... > secpol.msc. I tried the installation logged on as
> > Administrator and still it hasn't worked.
> >
> > I've enabled and disabled various bits and pieces such as Windows
> > Installer
> > etc, and items regarding elevated privileges, but still it won't work.
> >
> > If anyone can help me install this Bluetooth dongle I'd be so happy I'd
> > probably cry.
> >
> > Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: "...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB devi
Hi Chris,

We are seeing this type of problem often with drivers for Vista. If they are
properly configured, the install program should ask for your permission to
elevate the install with admin privileges.

What you are seeing means that the install is not configured correctly for
Vista and the lack of documentation for Vista in the manuals is another
indication that these drivers may not be ready for Vista.

Some other things you can try:
If the drivers are in a folder on the root drive, try moving them to a
folder under the C:\Users\your username, such as the Desktop folder.

Right click the install program file and select the Run As Administrator
option.

Right click the install file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select
the Windows XP mode option. Also, select the Run As Administrator option in
that dialog.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> Thanks Ronnie.
>
> I checked out the manual first but it just seems to refer to XP. I emailed
> Trust about 10 days ago but have not heard anything back.
>
> Thanks for the link, I'll email them again now.
>
> In your opinion do you reckon it's most likely to be their drivers that
> are
> 'at fault', assuming my system security policies etc are set to 'default'?
>
> Chris
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>> Have you read the Trust manual for installing this driver in Vista?
>>
>> Before you start making changes to Vista, you need to contact Trust and
>> ask
>> about any known issues with those Beta drivers. They are the people who
>> will
>> be aware of any problems.
>>
>> Trust - Contact:
>> http://www.trust.com/support/contact.aspx?item=15076
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Chris Thorn" <ChrisThorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there - thanks for taking the time to help me out.
>> >
>> > I bought a Trust BT-2100p Bluetooth adapter for my PC the other day as
>> > it
>> > said it was compatible with Vista (unlike a number of adapters on the
>> > market). I downloaded the lastest drivers for Vista off the website
>> > instead
>> > of using the drivers on the CD.
>> >
>> > Each time I have tried to install it, the installation hangs on 0% as
>> > the
>> > Bluetooth stack starts to install. After 30 seconds or so, I get a red
>> > 'critical' box appear which says:
>> >
>> > The system administrator has set polices to prevent this installation.
>> >
>> > The only option then is to press OK and the installation quits.
>> >
>> > I was tearing my hair out yesterday trying to work out what to do.
>> > After a
>> > lot of messing around I enabled the actual Administrator account on
>> > Vista
>> > using Start > Run... > secpol.msc. I tried the installation logged on
>> > as
>> > Administrator and still it hasn't worked.
>> >
>> > I've enabled and disabled various bits and pieces such as Windows
>> > Installer
>> > etc, and items regarding elevated privileges, but still it won't work.
>> >
>> > If anyone can help me install this Bluetooth dongle I'd be so happy I'd
>> > probably cry.
>> >
>> > Many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Chris Thorn

Re: "...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB devi
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go. I'll also post back here with what
Trust say (if they ever get back to me).

Thanks all,

Chris

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> We are seeing this type of problem often with drivers for Vista. If they are
> properly configured, the install program should ask for your permission to
> elevate the install with admin privileges.
>
> What you are seeing means that the install is not configured correctly for
> Vista and the lack of documentation for Vista in the manuals is another
> indication that these drivers may not be ready for Vista.
>
> Some other things you can try:
> If the drivers are in a folder on the root drive, try moving them to a
> folder under the C:\Users\your username, such as the Desktop folder.
>
> Right click the install program file and select the Run As Administrator
> option.
>
> Right click the install file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select
> the Windows XP mode option. Also, select the Run As Administrator option in
> that dialog.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Chris Thorn" <ChrisThorn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Ronnie.
> >
> > I checked out the manual first but it just seems to refer to XP. I emailed
> > Trust about 10 days ago but have not heard anything back.
> >
> > Thanks for the link, I'll email them again now.
> >
> > In your opinion do you reckon it's most likely to be their drivers that
> > are
> > 'at fault', assuming my system security policies etc are set to 'default'?
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Chris,
> >>
> >> Have you read the Trust manual for installing this driver in Vista?
> >>
> >> Before you start making changes to Vista, you need to contact Trust and
> >> ask
> >> about any known issues with those Beta drivers. They are the people who
> >> will
> >> be aware of any problems.
> >>
> >> Trust - Contact:
> >> http://www.trust.com/support/contact.aspx?item=15076
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: "...administrator has set polices..." - can't install USB devi
Chris

Your welcome and, yes, please let us know what you find on this issue.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP