Unknown Account

swasrfa007

Unknown Account
I was changing some properties of a folder then I saw a Unknown Account under
security permissions.
It wasnt there before.

"Account Unknown (s-1-5-21-592332418-3359817199-588524365-1001)"

Can anyone help me???
explain me wat is it and does it matter?
how can I remove this account??
David Dickinson

Re: Unknown Account
"swasrfa007" <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was changing some properties of a folder then I saw a Unknown Account
>under
> security permissions.
> It wasnt there before.
>
> "Account Unknown (s-1-5-21-592332418-3359817199-588524365-1001)"

At some point, a user account existed on that machine and was given access
to that folder or, if the permissions were inhereted, to a parent folder.
Then the user account was deleted. What you see is the SID ("security
identifier" is, I think, the correct term for the abbreviation -- I've just
called them "SIDs" for years) for the deleted account. The SID of an
account the actual identifier used by Windows. Windows can't use the SID to
look up its symbolic name ("Joe" or "Bob", for instance) because the account
doesn't exist anymore. That's why it says "Account Unknown" just before the
SID.

You can safely delete it from the security permissions for that folder (or,
if the permissions are inherited, you'll have to delete the SID from the
originating parent folder).

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

swasrfa007

Re: Unknown Account
Thank you for replaying me

I did have an account a few weeks ago
and i deleted that account
so I think maybe this "Unknown Account" is my old account at some point??

If so, then how can I remove this account??
Can I just remove it in regedit?
Please give me specific instructions.

Thanks again for replying my message!!!!

"swasrfa007" <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for replaying me
>
> I did have an account a few weeks ago
> and i deleted that account
> so I think maybe this "Unknown Account" is my old account at some point??
>
> If so, then how can I remove this account??
> Can I just remove it in regedit?
> Please give me specific instructions.

The "account" already has been removed. What you saw in the folder
permissions dialog box were simply some vestige settings that were left
behind. And that is where you can remove them. There's nothing in the
registry that you need to change.

Go to the folder where you saw that SID string. Right-click it and select
Properties. Click the Security tab. If you don't see the SID, everything
is fine for that folder. If it's there, click the Edit button, then click
the Remove button. If you're told that you can't remove that account
because it's being inherited, then close those dialog boxes and go up one
folder in the tree and repeat the procedure. Keep doing that until you can
remove the "Unknown Account" SID from the permissions dialog box.

Alternatively, you can just ignore it. It's not hurting anything.

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org
Please reply only to the newsgroup, not by email.

swasrfa007

Re: Unknown Account
Thank you!
The problem is solved!!!!!