"Run as Admin.." needed for those in Admin group?

Barkingdog

"Run as Admin.." needed for those in Admin group?
I have Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) installed on my box and I'm a member
of the local Administrator's group. Do I still need need to use "right-click,
... run as admin, etc...." to install software? What would happen if I used my
normal "Admin" permissions to do the install?

TIA,

Barkingdog

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: "Run as Admin.." needed for those in Admin group?
Barkingdog

If the program is Vista compatible, then it may ask for permission to
elevate with admin privileges before installing. If it is a legacy program
that is not aware of Vista, it will simply fail and you may need to use the
Run As Admin to elevate the installer.

Remember that in Vista a user with adminprivileges still runs as a standard
user.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Barkingdog" <Barkingdog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news70C83DE-9030-4E14-A0DD-5261E58A7073@microsoft.com...
>I have Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) installed on my box and I'm a member
> of the local Administrator's group. Do I still need need to use
> "right-click,
> .. run as admin, etc...." to install software? What would happen if I used
> my
> normal "Admin" permissions to do the install?
>
> TIA,
>
> Barkingdog

Barkingdog

Re: "Run as Admin.." needed for those in Admin group?
Thank you but regarding

"Remember that in Vista a user with adminprivileges still runs as a standard
> user.

"

That doesn't make sense. Deny the average user Admin privileges but don't
give a user in the Admin group "standard" privileges. And if we do what
account plays the role of the Administrator from past OS's? (Uber-Admin?)

TIA,

Barkingdog

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Barkingdog
>
> If the program is Vista compatible, then it may ask for permission to
> elevate with admin privileges before installing. If it is a legacy program
> that is not aware of Vista, it will simply fail and you may need to use the
> Run As Admin to elevate the installer.
>
> Remember that in Vista a user with adminprivileges still runs as a standard
> user.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Barkingdog" <Barkingdog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news70C83DE-9030-4E14-A0DD-5261E58A7073@microsoft.com...
> >I have Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) installed on my box and I'm a member
> > of the local Administrator's group. Do I still need need to use
> > "right-click,
> > .. run as admin, etc...." to install software? What would happen if I used
> > my
> > normal "Admin" permissions to do the install?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Barkingdog

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: "Run as Admin.." needed for those in Admin group?
Barkingdog

Running an admin account in Vista is different because in previous versions
of Windows, such as XP, everyone ran as full administrator with no
safeguards in place despite advice not to do this. This meant that any
malicious program could hijack that administrator account and gain complete
control over the system, with no restrictions on the damage that it could
do. The user usually was not even aware that this was happening, until it
was too late.

In Vista, when you run with an administrator account, you still have the
same admin power, but a progman must ask for your permission before using
your admin privileges. This is what User Account Control (UAC) is all about.
If you want to start any program and allow it to use your admin privileges
you can simply right click the program and select the Run As Administrator
option.