File copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium H

Neagle

File copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium H
I need help with step by step instructions on how to perform a file copy from
external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium HD. After some research
this is what I have tried please prompt me on my failure:

1 Clicked the Start button.

2. Clicked All Programs.

3. Went into Accessories.

4. Right-clicked on Command Prompt.

5. Selected Run as administrator.

6. When the UAC Prompt appears, clicked Continue.

This gave me an elevated command prompt, then I:

1. At the command prompt, inputed takeown /f filepath (takeown /f c:\*.*).

2. Pressed Enter on the keyboard.

3. A message displayed that this action completed successfully.

4. Now I inputed icacls (icacls c:\windows\*.*).

5. A message displayed that this completed successfully.

I still cannot transfer files from one disk to another not even a Word file.
I have no idea why Microsoft took so much control out of the hands of even
an administrator’s account. If I can not resolve this issue I will be forced
to install XP Pro over Vista on my new laptop. I need one Windows based OS
to communicate with work related programs.

Francois PIETTE

Re: File copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium H
I don't clearly understand the situation.
Are you using two computers connected thru a LAN ?
Are you using a single Vista computer ?
Are you using an USB disk connected to your vista computer ?

FYI: I have a laptop running Vista ultimate and I have no problem accessing
the USB disk I used with my previous XP laptop. And I have no problem to
access my previous XP-PC when connected to the LAN.

--
Francois PIETTE
http://www.overbyte.be

"Neagle" <Neagle@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
>I need help with step by step instructions on how to perform a file copy
>from
> external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium HD. After some research
> this is what I have tried please prompt me on my failure:
>
> 1 Clicked the Start button.
>
> 2. Clicked All Programs.
>
> 3. Went into Accessories.
>
> 4. Right-clicked on Command Prompt.
>
> 5. Selected Run as administrator.
>
> 6. When the UAC Prompt appears, clicked Continue.
>

> This gave me an elevated command prompt, then I:
>
> 1. At the command prompt, inputed takeown /f filepath (takeown /f c:\*.*).
>
> 2. Pressed Enter on the keyboard.
>
> 3. A message displayed that this action completed successfully.
>
> 4. Now I inputed icacls (icacls c:\windows\*.*).
>
> 5. A message displayed that this completed successfully.
>
> I still cannot transfer files from one disk to another not even a Word
> file.
> I have no idea why Microsoft took so much control out of the hands of even
> an administrator’s account. If I can not resolve this issue I will be
> forced
> to install XP Pro over Vista on my new laptop. I need one Windows based
> OS
> to communicate with work related programs.

GWL

RE: File copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium H
I am not sure I understand why you want to do this on a Command Prompt. I
have been doing exactly the operation you describe from my old XP machine to
my new Vista machine. I have been using the Computer screen from the start
menu that is the same as the old Windows Explorer. I just open the folder I
want to copy from via LAN and drag them to the Vista folders where I want the
file to be copied.

"Francois PIETTE" wrote:

> I don't clearly understand the situation.
> Are you using two computers connected thru a LAN ?
> Are you using a single Vista computer ?
> Are you using an USB disk connected to your vista computer ?
>
> FYI: I have a laptop running Vista ultimate and I have no problem accessing
> the USB disk I used with my previous XP laptop. And I have no problem to
> access my previous XP-PC when connected to the LAN.
>
> --
> Francois PIETTE
> http://www.overbyte.be
>

> "Neagle" <Neagle@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> >I need help with step by step instructions on how to perform a file copy
> >from
> > external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premium HD. After some research
> > this is what I have tried please prompt me on my failure:
> >
> > 1 Clicked the Start button.
> >
> > 2. Clicked All Programs.
> >
> > 3. Went into Accessories.
> >
> > 4. Right-clicked on Command Prompt.
> >
> > 5. Selected Run as administrator.
> >
> > 6. When the UAC Prompt appears, clicked Continue.
> >

> > This gave me an elevated command prompt, then I:
> >
> > 1. At the command prompt, inputed takeown /f filepath (takeown /f c:\*.*).
> >
> > 2. Pressed Enter on the keyboard.
> >
> > 3. A message displayed that this action completed successfully.
> >
> > 4. Now I inputed icacls (icacls c:\windows\*.*).
> >
> > 5. A message displayed that this completed successfully.
> >
> > I still cannot transfer files from one disk to another not even a Word
> > file.
> > I have no idea why Microsoft took so much control out of the hands of even
> > an administrator’s account. If I can not resolve this issue I will be
> > forced
> > to install XP Pro over Vista on my new laptop. I need one Windows based
> > OS
> > to communicate with work related programs.

Neagle

Re: File copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premi

I am using an USB disk, from my old XP laptop, connected to a vista
computer. I can not copy files from the USB disk to my new Vista hard drive.
hayami.wai

Re: File copy from external XP Pro HD to internal Vista Home Premi
I believe the problem that you are getting is due to the files and folders
permission. As your source files and folders had originated from another
computer, it has existing ACLs tag along with it, making it unaccessible from
your Vista machine.

1) Open the properties page of the folder you want to copy.
2) Click on Security > Advanced > Owner > Edit
3) Select the account you would like to use to gain ownership on the
folder/files (under the 'Change Owner to' box)
4) Check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'
5) Apply and OK
6) Close the properties page and reopen it again
7) Go to Security
8) Make sure that the account that you had granted ownership to has full
access to the folders/files

try copying the files