Administrator only to download on C drive

Emily

Administrator only to download on C drive
Hi, I'm an editor who uses macros to assist in editing. I have to download
the templates/macros directly to my C Drive. I just got this
computer(Gateway laptop), and when I tried to download the macro directly to
m C Drive, I get the notice that I have to contact the administrator because
I don't have permission. However, my account IS administrator, so I see no
reason why I am unable to download to my disk. I have had problems with
downloading other programs as well, where I get a pop-up saying I need to
contact an administrator for permission.

This is rather frustrating and a bit unnerving since my job depends on being
able to use these macros.

What needs to be done to get this taken care of? Saving to my C drive is a
must for these Macro to work.
Michael Walraven

Re: Administrator only to download on C drive
Emily,
Creating files at C:\ is not permitted in Vista. The root (C:\) is protected
by the operating system for use by the operating system.
(There are ways around that but they raise complications that I doubt you
want to get into).
In general you should save things that are for the user in user areas, such
as
c:\Users\your name\ or C:\Users\your name\documents etc.

If you are having problems savings files at locations other than the root
get back with the actual location you are trying to save to as that would
imply some other reason than the root protection of Vista.

Michael

"Emily" <Emily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm an editor who uses macros to assist in editing. I have to
> download
> the templates/macros directly to my C Drive. I just got this
> computer(Gateway laptop), and when I tried to download the macro directly
> m C Drive, I get the notice that I have to contact the administrator
> because
> I don't have permission. However, my account IS administrator, so I see
> no
> reason why I am unable to download to my disk. I have had problems with
> downloading other programs as well, where I get a pop-up saying I need to
> contact an administrator for permission.
>
> This is rather frustrating and a bit unnerving since my job depends on
> being
> able to use these macros.
>
> What needs to be done to get this taken care of? Saving to my C drive is
> must for these Macro to work.

Jimmy Brush

Emily wrote:
> Hi, I'm an editor who uses macros to assist in editing. I have to download
> the templates/macros directly to my C Drive. I just got this
> computer(Gateway laptop), and when I tried to download the macro directly to
> m C Drive, I get the notice that I have to contact the administrator because
> I don't have permission. However, my account IS administrator, so I see no
> reason why I am unable to download to my disk. I have had problems with
> downloading other programs as well, where I get a pop-up saying I need to
> contact an administrator for permission.
>
> This is rather frustrating and a bit unnerving since my job depends on being
> able to use these macros.
>
> What needs to be done to get this taken care of? Saving to my C drive is a
> must for these Macro to work.

Hello,

In Windows Vista, even though you are an administrator, programs that do
not ask for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to
continue") are not allowed to use your admin power.

This protects you by stopping administrative programs from running that
you do not start.

Writing to drive C is an administrative action by default.

I would recommend either of the following options:

1- Run the program you are using to download the macros "as
administrator" by right-clicking on it and clicking Run As Administrator
- this will indicate to Windows that you want that program to be able to
perform administrative tasks.

2- Change the security on drive C by taking ownership of it and giving
your username permission to write to it - this will indicate to windows
that writing to drive C *is NOT* an administrative action, which will
allow any program, including possibly malicious programs that you do not
explicitly start, to write to that location without your consent.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Emily

Re: Administrator only to download on C drive
How do I take ownership of the C drive? My user is the only one on my
computer.

And the program I'm using to download the macros is IE, so I'm not sure how
I'd run that as an admnistrator.