Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Getting access to HD

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2007
Cory B
 

Posts: n/a
Getting access to HD
I have a friend of mines Vista HD from his laptop in my Vista Desktop. I
need to pull all his pics-vids-docs off before a reinstall. It got
corrupted. I cant get access to all his folders. I have his PW, but how do
I "Log-on" to his HD??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Getting access to HD
Cory

You simply to take ownership of the folders/files on that hard drive. Vista
includes a "Takeown" command line tool that is easy to use.

Start an elevated command prompt and type: takeown /? to see the
parameters and syntax.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Cory B" <CoryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C35E8494-06A0-400F-BC20-8A3A6B9F7327@microsoft.com...
>I have a friend of mines Vista HD from his laptop in my Vista Desktop. I
> need to pull all his pics-vids-docs off before a reinstall. It got
> corrupted. I cant get access to all his folders. I have his PW, but how
> do
> I "Log-on" to his HD??


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2007
Cory B
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Getting access to HD


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Cory
>
> You simply to take ownership of the folders/files on that hard drive. Vista
> includes a "Takeown" command line tool that is easy to use.
>
> Start an elevated command prompt and type: takeown /? to see the
> parameters and syntax.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Cory B" <CoryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C35E8494-06A0-400F-BC20-8A3A6B9F7327@microsoft.com...
> >I have a friend of mines Vista HD from his laptop in my Vista Desktop. I
> > need to pull all his pics-vids-docs off before a reinstall. It got
> > corrupted. I cant get access to all his folders. I have his PW, but how
> > do
> > I "Log-on" to his HD??




> elevated command prompt??

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2007
Cory B
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Getting access to HD
What would I type to take ownership of the entire drive?

"Cory B" wrote:

>
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Cory
> >
> > You simply to take ownership of the folders/files on that hard drive. Vista
> > includes a "Takeown" command line tool that is easy to use.
> >
> > Start an elevated command prompt and type: takeown /? to see the
> > parameters and syntax.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >
> >
> > "Cory B" <CoryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:C35E8494-06A0-400F-BC20-8A3A6B9F7327@microsoft.com...
> > >I have a friend of mines Vista HD from his laptop in my Vista Desktop. I
> > > need to pull all his pics-vids-docs off before a reinstall. It got
> > > corrupted. I cant get access to all his folders. I have his PW, but how
> > > do
> > > I "Log-on" to his HD??

>
>
>
> > elevated command prompt??

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Getting access to HD
Cory

It depends on how the drive is set up with folder folder structure, etc.

Most user data files on XP were contained in the Document and Settings
folder structure.

When you copy files from that old hard drive, do not move the system
folders, such as Documents and Settings, Windows, etc. This could cause a
conflict with folders in Vista. Your best strategy would be to create a
folder in Vista, in the C:\Public folder somewhere called Imported Files and
copy all of the files and folders there.

By opening an elevated command prompt, I meant to open the command prompt
with administrator privileges. Go to Start and type: cmd.exe In the
results, right-click the cmd.exe file and select the Run As Administrator
option.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Cory B" <CoryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0C780E77-1BBC-46AE-9349-5ADC5CA32912@microsoft.com...
> What would I type to take ownership of the entire drive?
>
> "Cory B" wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Cory
>> >
>> > You simply to take ownership of the folders/files on that hard drive.
>> > Vista
>> > includes a "Takeown" command line tool that is easy to use.
>> >
>> > Start an elevated command prompt and type: takeown /? to see the
>> > parameters and syntax.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Ronnie Vernon
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> >
>> > "Cory B" <CoryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:C35E8494-06A0-400F-BC20-8A3A6B9F7327@microsoft.com...
>> > >I have a friend of mines Vista HD from his laptop in my Vista Desktop.
>> > >I
>> > > need to pull all his pics-vids-docs off before a reinstall. It got
>> > > corrupted. I cant get access to all his folders. I have his PW,
>> > > but how
>> > > do
>> > > I "Log-on" to his HD??

>>
>>
>>
>> > elevated command prompt??


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vista can not access xp, but xp can access visat =?Utf-8?B?Z2x5bm5zMTA=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 20 12-12-2008 16:18
Re: Can't Access Printer- Access Denied. =?Utf-8?B?UmljIFN0ZXJsaW5n?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 04-07-2007 05:06
Vista "Access Is Denied" Trying to Access Network Share justin.richert@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 03-26-2007 13:18
Vista can't access Win2000 but can access XP =?Utf-8?B?YWxleGM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 03-10-2007 14:21
Access is denied message when trying to access a remote printer =?Utf-8?B?TWFya0M=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 03-09-2007 02:34




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:11.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120