Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied

JasonD

Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied
I booted up my Vista Ultimate this AM to a "Your password has expired and
must be changed message."

It offers me 3 fields, 1st one is filled in (my old pw presumably), 2nd says
"new pw", 3rd says "confirm pw".

I fill in 2, and 3, and click -> which results in a brief flash of
"Changing password..." then "Access is denied."

I've tried clearing 1 and putting in my pw instead of letting it get filled
in, the result is the same.

How do i fix this?

Thanks.
Jimmy Brush

Re: Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied
JasonD wrote:
> I booted up my Vista Ultimate this AM to a "Your password has expired and
> must be changed message."
>
> It offers me 3 fields, 1st one is filled in (my old pw presumably), 2nd says
> "new pw", 3rd says "confirm pw".
>
> I fill in 2, and 3, and click -> which results in a brief flash of
> "Changing password..." then "Access is denied."
>
> I've tried clearing 1 and putting in my pw instead of letting it get filled
> in, the result is the same.
>
> How do i fix this?
>
> Thanks.

It sounds like your user account is set such that it is not allowed to
change its password.

- Is your account an administrator account?
- Can you still log in?
- Do you have any other administrator accounts available to log in with?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
JasonD

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> JasonD wrote:
> > I booted up my Vista Ultimate this AM to a "Your password has expired and
> > must be changed message."
> >
> > It offers me 3 fields, 1st one is filled in (my old pw presumably), 2nd says
> > "new pw", 3rd says "confirm pw".
> >
> > I fill in 2, and 3, and click -> which results in a brief flash of
> > "Changing password..." then "Access is denied."
> >
> > I've tried clearing 1 and putting in my pw instead of letting it get filled
> > in, the result is the same.
> >
> > How do i fix this?
> >
> > Thanks.

> It sounds like your user account is set such that it is not allowed to
> change its password.
>
> - Is your account an administrator account?
> - Can you still log in?
> - Do you have any other administrator accounts available to log in with?
>
> --
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Yes, the account is an admin for the box.
No, I cannot login. I only get the "pw expired, change pw"
No, this is the ONLY account on my machine.

-Jason
Thomas Wilson

Re: Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied
Jason,
Your problem sounds like mine. This post fixed my problem.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1d10f933c13fe1

"JasonD" <JasonD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> JasonD wrote:
>> > I booted up my Vista Ultimate this AM to a "Your password has expired
>> > and
>> > must be changed message."
>> >
>> > It offers me 3 fields, 1st one is filled in (my old pw presumably), 2nd
>> > says
>> > "new pw", 3rd says "confirm pw".
>> >
>> > I fill in 2, and 3, and click -> which results in a brief flash of
>> > "Changing password..." then "Access is denied."
>> >
>> > I've tried clearing 1 and putting in my pw instead of letting it get
>> > filled
>> > in, the result is the same.
>> >
>> > How do i fix this?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> It sounds like your user account is set such that it is not allowed to
>> change its password.
>>
>> - Is your account an administrator account?
>> - Can you still log in?
>> - Do you have any other administrator accounts available to log in with?
>>
>> --
>> -JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

> Yes, the account is an admin for the box.
> No, I cannot login. I only get the "pw expired, change pw"
> No, this is the ONLY account on my machine.
>
> -Jason

JasonD

Re: Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied
Thomas-

That link seems to lead back to this post (on groups.google) when I click
it, did you mean for it to lead elsewhere?

Help appreciated thanks.

-Jason

"Thomas Wilson" wrote:

> Jason,
> Your problem sounds like mine. This post fixed my problem.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1d10f933c13fe1
>

> "JasonD" <JasonD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> It sounds like your user account is set such that it is not allowed to
> >> change its password.
> >>
> >> - Is your account an administrator account?
> >> - Can you still log in?
> >> - Do you have any other administrator accounts available to log in with?
> >>
> >> --
> >> -JB
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

> > Yes, the account is an admin for the box.
> > No, I cannot login. I only get the "pw expired, change pw"
> > No, this is the ONLY account on my machine.
> >
> > -Jason

Thomas Wilson

Re: Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied
Try this

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c409ca13516339

> Thomas-
>
> That link seems to lead back to this post (on groups.google) when I click
> it, did you mean for it to lead elsewhere?
>
> Help appreciated thanks.
>
> -Jason
>
> "Thomas Wilson" wrote:
>
>> Jason,
>> Your problem sounds like mine. This post fixed my problem.
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1d10f933c13fe1
>>

>> "JasonD" <JasonD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > Yes, the account is an admin for the box.
>> > No, I cannot login. I only get the "pw expired, change pw"
>> > No, this is the ONLY account on my machine.
>> >
>> > -Jason

JasonD

Re: Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied
Thanks. I was able to get in as the Administrator using the tool.

-Jason

"Thomas Wilson" wrote:

> Try this
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c409ca13516339
>

> "JasonD" <JasonD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thomas-
> >
> > That link seems to lead back to this post (on groups.google) when I click
> > it, did you mean for it to lead elsewhere?
> >
> > Help appreciated thanks.
> >
> > -Jason
> >
> > "Thomas Wilson" wrote:
> >
> >> Jason,
> >> Your problem sounds like mine. This post fixed my problem.
> >>
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1d10f933c13fe1

skript kiddie

Re: Password expired - change pw -> Access is denied

hi skript kiddie here
administrator account was locked
now the user account password for the admin is denied and iam not able
reach your link because of parental controls any suggestions?

--
skript kiddie