Setting up Vista on 25 notebooks for students.

Tony4X4

Setting up Vista on 25 notebooks for students.
Hi there,

Our school it about to embark on a IT program that will envolve 25 students
each getting their own notebooks. I would like to setup accounts / profiles
that will enable the students to use the notebooks but without affecting the
security or the performance of the notebook by loading applications that are
not relevant to the program. At the same timeI don't want the policy to be
too resrtictive that it create an administrative nightmae for me.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or point me in the right direction.

These notebooks maybe taken home.

Thanks

Tony
f/fgeorge

Re: Setting up Vista on 25 notebooks for students.
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 09:56:04 -0700, Tony4X4
<Tony4X4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Our school it about to embark on a IT program that will envolve 25 students
>each getting their own notebooks. I would like to setup accounts / profiles
>that will enable the students to use the notebooks but without affecting the
>security or the performance of the notebook by loading applications that are
>not relevant to the program. At the same timeI don't want the policy to be
>too resrtictive that it create an administrative nightmae for me.
>
>Can anyone give me some suggestions or point me in the right direction.
>
>These notebooks maybe taken home.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tony

We have over 1000 pc's at my work. Every Thursday we ask people to
leave their pc's on overnight to upgrade their antivirus and any MS
fixes that come out. I suggest you do this to the Students laptops as
well. Pick a day they are in class and the machines are likely to be
on and then, since they will be on the network anyway, update them.
We also have a seperate Admin password so each user cannot install any
software without an IT person physically coming by. We can do remote
access, but do it only very rarely.
Just come up with a good image and then make all machines exactly the
same. That way Tech Support is easier and each Student can actually
get help from one another if needed.

f/fgeorge

Re: Setting up Vista on 25 notebooks for students.
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 09:56:04 -0700, Tony4X4
<Tony4X4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Our school it about to embark on a IT program that will envolve 25 students
>each getting their own notebooks. I would like to setup accounts / profiles
>that will enable the students to use the notebooks but without affecting the
>security or the performance of the notebook by loading applications that are
>not relevant to the program. At the same timeI don't want the policy to be
>too resrtictive that it create an administrative nightmae for me.
>
>Can anyone give me some suggestions or point me in the right direction.
>
>These notebooks maybe taken home.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tony

Sorry forgot something, consider a LoJack type system for the laptops.
It is cheap insurance when the kids lose one! Some of our local High
Schools have done it and the laptop was just 'misplaced' at grandma's
house, but it was found and the kid had it back in no time.