Rename Accounts

Dave

Rename Accounts
Hi,

I realise similar questions have been submitted, but none that address my
specific needs. I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium. When I first logged
in
it asked for an account name for the admin account - I put in 'Dave' which
set up the following account:

Account name: Dave, Store folder: Dave, Account type: Admin

Later I realised I should use a standard account for day to day work, I used
the User accounts control panel to rename the 'Dave' account to 'Admin', and
created a new standard account called 'Dave'. As has been discussed, the
store folder did not get renamed so I now have two accounts:

Account name: Admin, Store folder: Dave, Account type: Admin
Account name: Dave , Store folderave_2, Account type: Standard

Is it possible to use Easy Transfer to get to the following situation,
making the store
folder the same as the account name, and if so could someone please explain
the step by step proces to achieve this.

Account name: Admin, Store folder:Admin Account type: Admin
Account name: Dave, Store folderave Account type: Standard

I haven't any documents set up in the 'Dave' account so could delete it if
that helps, but have installed a fair amount of software & drivers from the
Admin account.

Kind regards,

Sarah

RE: Rename Accounts

"Dave" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I realise similar questions have been submitted, but none that address my
> specific needs. I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium. When I first logged
> in
> it asked for an account name for the admin account - I put in 'Dave' which
> set up the following account:
>
> Account name: Dave, Store folder: Dave, Account type: Admin
>
> Later I realised I should use a standard account for day to day work, I used
> the User accounts control panel to rename the 'Dave' account to 'Admin', and
> created a new standard account called 'Dave'. As has been discussed, the
> store folder did not get renamed so I now have two accounts:
>
> Account name: Admin, Store folder: Dave, Account type: Admin
> Account name: Dave , Store folderave_2, Account type: Standard
>
> Is it possible to use Easy Transfer to get to the following situation,
> making the store
> folder the same as the account name, and if so could someone please explain
> the step by step proces to achieve this.
>
> Account name: Admin, Store folder:Admin Account type: Admin
> Account name: Dave, Store folderave Account type: Standard
>
> I haven't any documents set up in the 'Dave' account so could delete it if
> that helps, but have installed a fair amount of software & drivers from the
> Admin account.
>
> Kind regards,

Sarah

RE: Rename Accounts
I did the exact same thing when I installed Vista Ultimate. I'm afraid I
don't have a solution for you; I ended up reinstalling Vista to get the
folders renamed. (It was only the next day.)
Dave

RE: Rename Accounts
Since my original email I have done some research and have now resolved the
problem, which I thought may be helpful to share with you all. Note I did not
have a lot of files/settings to back up for each account.

The answer is actually quite straightforward once you understand a few
basics about Vista:
1) You can not change the name of the Store folders - don't go there.
2) You can change the account names
3) You can change account types - Standard to Admin or Admin to Standard
4) You can create and delete accounts from an Admin account
5) You must always have at least one Admin account (Vista will not allow you
to delete the Account or change its type if it is the last Admin account)
6) There is nothing special about the first Admin account you create - an
Admin account created later has the same rights
7) You can have more than one Admin account at the same time.

With these rules in mind the problem was solved by the following steps, note
for clarity I use the following notation for accounts - Account Name(Store
Folder Name)

1) Log in as Admin(Dave)
2) Rename Dave(Dave_2) to OldDave(Dave_2) - this account will be deleted soon
3) Rename Admin(Dave) to Dave(Dave)
4) Create new Admin account - Admin(Admin)

5) Log into OldDave(Dave_2)
6) Backed up to external disk any files/documents you want to keep, and made
note of favourites I wanted to keep.

7) Log into the new Admin account Admin(Admin)
8) Delete OldDave account oldDave(Dave_2)
9) Change account type for Dave(Dave) account from Admin to Standard user

10) Log into Dave(Dave) account and restore backed up files

I now have the desired result apart from sorting out passwords and account
icons.

Account name: Admin, Store folder:Admin Account type: Admin
Account name: Dave, Store folderave Account type: Standard

The only niggle was that on deleting the OldDave(Dave_2) account, the
C:\Users\Dave_2 folder was emptied but not deleted - but I can live with that.

Hope it helps.

"Dave" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I realise similar questions have been submitted, but none that address my
> specific needs. I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium. When I first logged
> in
> it asked for an account name for the admin account - I put in 'Dave' which
> set up the following account:
>
> Account name: Dave, Store folder: Dave, Account type: Admin
>
> Later I realised I should use a standard account for day to day work, I used
> the User accounts control panel to rename the 'Dave' account to 'Admin', and
> created a new standard account called 'Dave'. As has been discussed, the
> store folder did not get renamed so I now have two accounts:
>
> Account name: Admin, Store folder: Dave, Account type: Admin
> Account name: Dave , Store folderave_2, Account type: Standard
>
> Is it possible to use Easy Transfer to get to the following situation,
> making the store
> folder the same as the account name, and if so could someone please explain
> the step by step proces to achieve this.
>
> Account name: Admin, Store folder:Admin Account type: Admin
> Account name: Dave, Store folderave Account type: Standard
>
> I haven't any documents set up in the 'Dave' account so could delete it if
> that helps, but have installed a fair amount of software & drivers from the
> Admin account.
>
> Kind regards,

frankfoz

RE: Rename Accounts
I am the adminstrator of My computer and I have another user when I turn on
my computer Vista defaults to the user Icon I have to click over mine how do
I change
I can't solve it.
Frank