User Accounts and UAC Strange Behaviour, Users are not shown under "Manage another account"

lushdog

User Accounts and UAC Strange Behaviour, Users are not shown under "Manage another account"
Hi, I'm having several problems with my User Accounts.

1) If I try to click "Manage Another Account" I do not see a list of
my users, just an empty box under "Choose the account you would like
to change." If I create a new account I still have a blank box where
the list of users should be.

2) I cannot change the type of account. When I open "Change your
account" I get a blank user picture and it is set to "Standard User"
even though I am part of the Administrator group. Changing account
types and hitting OK has no effect.

3) I cannot turn UAC on or off. When I open the UAC panel it is
unchecked even if UAC is on. If I check the box and hit OK I am not
prompted to reboot. If I check the box and hit Ok then return,the UAC
box is still unchecked (same as with changing account types), so it's
obvious it is not turning UAC on. I can turn the UAC on by using the
tool in Msconfig.exe and then rebooting.

4) What is fishy is that I can see the list of my users (with their
pictures) if I go to "Set-up parental controls" under "Manage another
account." I can also create a new user account from that screen but of
course I cannot do anything with it.

5) I am using Vista Home Premium so I cannot load the "Local Users and
Groups" snap-in to see if I can modify my users from there.

If you know of other message boards where I could post this question
please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Lushdog

Jimmy Brush

Re: User Accounts and UAC Strange Behaviour, Users are not shownunder "Manage another account"
lushdog wrote:
> Hi, I'm having several problems with my User Accounts.
>
> 1) If I try to click "Manage Another Account" I do not see a list of
> my users, just an empty box under "Choose the account you would like
> to change." If I create a new account I still have a blank box where
> the list of users should be.
>
> 2) I cannot change the type of account. When I open "Change your
> account" I get a blank user picture and it is set to "Standard User"
> even though I am part of the Administrator group. Changing account
> types and hitting OK has no effect.
>
> 3) I cannot turn UAC on or off. When I open the UAC panel it is
> unchecked even if UAC is on. If I check the box and hit OK I am not
> prompted to reboot. If I check the box and hit Ok then return,the UAC
> box is still unchecked (same as with changing account types), so it's
> obvious it is not turning UAC on. I can turn the UAC on by using the
> tool in Msconfig.exe and then rebooting.
>
> 4) What is fishy is that I can see the list of my users (with their
> pictures) if I go to "Set-up parental controls" under "Manage another
> account." I can also create a new user account from that screen but of
> course I cannot do anything with it.
>
> 5) I am using Vista Home Premium so I cannot load the "Local Users and
> Groups" snap-in to see if I can modify my users from there.
>
> If you know of other message boards where I could post this question
> please let me know.
>

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Lushdog

Hello,

While I'm not sure what's causing your problems, I can offer a workaround:

- Open an elevated command prompt (right-click, run as administrator)
- Use the net command to administer your user accounts
- Type: net help user
and: net help localgroup
This will display information on how to use the net comand to manage
users.

For example:

net user
lists the users on your computer

net user USER /active:yes
enables USER's account

net user USER /delete
deletes USER's account

net user USER PASSWORD /add
creates USER's account with password of PASSWORD

net localgroup administrators USER /add
makes USER an administrator

net localgroup administrators USER /remove
makes USER a normal user

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
H van Rossum

RE: User Accounts and UAC Strange Behaviour, Users are not shown under
I am having exact the same problem in Vista Ultimate, anybody have a solution?

Thanks, Hans