Limiting website access by time

covills

Limiting website access by time
I want my son to be able to use my Vista Premium PC for access to allow him
to do homework, but I want to limit access to sites such as Myspace, facebook
etc for a period of time each day so that he is not distracted. How can I
do this?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Limiting website access by time
Covills

Use the Parental Controls that are included in Vista. Go to the following
website for how to set this up or just type Parental Controls in the Vista
Help and Support.

Search Results:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...ental+controls

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"covills" <covills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want my son to be able to use my Vista Premium PC for access to allow him
> to do homework, but I want to limit access to sites such as Myspace,
> facebook
> etc for a period of time each day so that he is not distracted. How can
> do this?

kathymiller8@gmail.com

Re: Limiting website access by time
You're better off with a good third party parental control. Try out
http://www.pc-chaperone.com

kathymiller8@gmail.com

Re: Limiting website access by time
Oh, I forgot to add, the Vista parental controls will not let you
restrict access to websites by setting a maximum time limit when the
site can be viewed. The Vista controls will let you block access to a
website completely, but that's it. PC Chaperone (http://www.pc-
chaperone.com), the parental control I use, is the only one I could
find that will let you set schedules for individual websites. All the
other programs I checked out will let you schedule Internet access,
but none had the ability to schedule access to individual websites.

covills

Re: Limiting website access by time

Hi Ronnie,
Parental Controls appears to give me the choice of limiting by time OR
limiting by website, not a mix of the two which is what I really want -
unless I'm missing something.

Thanks

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Covills
>
> Use the Parental Controls that are included in Vista. Go to the following
> website for how to set this up or just type Parental Controls in the Vista
> Help and Support.
>
> Search Results:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...ental+controls
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "covills" <covills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want my son to be able to use my Vista Premium PC for access to allow him
> > to do homework, but I want to limit access to sites such as Myspace,
> > facebook
> > etc for a period of time each day so that he is not distracted. How can
> > do this?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Limiting website access by time
Covills

I'm not understanding what you are saying here? The time and blocked
websites are 2 separate components of the Parental Controls. The time
limites define when a user can log onto the computer and the Website Filter
defines which websites can or cannot be visited when that user is logged on.

--

> Hi Ronnie,
> Parental Controls appears to give me the choice of limiting by time OR
> limiting by website, not a mix of the two which is what I really want -
> unless I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Covills
>>
>> Use the Parental Controls that are included in Vista. Go to the following
>> website for how to set this up or just type Parental Controls in the
>> Vista
>> Help and Support.
>>
>> Search Results:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...ental+controls
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "covills" <covills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want my son to be able to use my Vista Premium PC for access to allow
>> >him
>> > to do homework, but I want to limit access to sites such as Myspace,
>> > facebook
>> > etc for a period of time each day so that he is not distracted. How
>> > can
>> > do this?

kev2100@gmail.com

Re: Limiting website access by time
Vista will not let you put time limits on specific websites. This is a
feature that is also missing on almost every 3rd party Internet
filtering or parental control program. I did a pile of research on
this topic a couple months ago, testing more programs then I can
remember, and found that the ONLY program that would let you set
schedules like this is a program called PC Chaperone. You can find out
more on their website at http://www.pc-chaperone.com

JJT

Re: Limiting website access by time
MVP--I think that the user wants to limit TIME spent on the INTERNET, not
time spent logged on to the computer and not to completely block certain
websites. I would also like to limit time spent on the internet while still
allowing the child to be logged on to the computer for other purposes , but
it seems that Vista does not have that capability.