XP and Vista on the same Computer

=?Utf-8?B?VHJleSBBdHJpZWRlcw==?=

XP and Vista on the same Computer
I currently have XP and Vista Ultimate on the same computer. Upon startup, I
should be able to choose which OS I'd like to use. One of the problems is, I
can't use the keyboard to choose. I've tried plugging in a second keyboard,
but this doesn't solve the problem. By default, Vista is the starting OS.
Another problem I'm having is, I'm unable to access any of my files that are
accessable through XP. I know I can individually change the administrative
rights to each file, but this is extremely tedious. Are there any
suggestions?
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: XP and Vista on the same Computer
In article <324B4C58-2C66-4505-B95B-E3FFE6BD29D8@microsoft.com>, Trey Atriedes
wrote:

> One of the problems is, I*can't use the keyboard to choose. *....
> ...*By default, Vista is the starting OS. *

I don't know how you set up the dual boot but I set mine up on an XP machine by
installing VISTA ....

When I boot up I eventually get to a plain text menu with two choices -- XP and
VISTA and I can switch between the two by using the up down arrows.

You can set XP to be the default if you want to (as I have done so that my wife
can turn on the PC and not have to fiddle to get to her desktop) and the
easiest way to do this and make any other changes in the bootup procedure is to
install VISTABOOTPro (Google on that for source) which is free. It makes it
easy to change the default and to edit the description so that my Other Windows
is now described as XP Pro.

If you mean that you can't turn on the computer and somehow tell it which you
want before you get to that boot menu then that I understand. If you are in XP
or in VISTA you can use WINKEY / U / R /ENTER to restart but it will only go to
the default OS unless you stand by to change it. It would be nice if you could
add say V to go to VISTA and X to go to XP and then go get a cup of coffee

Maybe next year ...... ?

Jimmy Brush

Re: XP and Vista on the same Computer
Hello,

<snip>
> Another problem I'm having is, I'm unable to access any of my files that
> are
> accessable through XP. I know I can individually change the
> administrative
> rights to each file, but this is extremely tedious. Are there any
> suggestions?

To gain write-access to your files that were created from Windows XP while
using non-administrative programs (programs that do not ask for permission
when they start), you will need to change the permissions on those files to
give yourself access.

You should be able to add a permission granting you access on the folder
that contains your files, and that permission should filter down to all of
the files in that folder.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User