Choosing Location of Downloaded programs

Genitruc

Choosing Location of Downloaded programs
The whole "but I'M the administrator" seems to be a recurring theme in these
threads.

I am trying to download a program to a specific location so that it can be
easily read by a scanning program.

When I try to choose to save the program in "Program Files" I receive a
message telling me that I can't do this without the permission of the
administrator. Of course, I am logged on as the sole administrator...
amber-55

RE: Choosing Location of Downloaded programs

"Genitruc" wrote:

> The whole "but I'M the administrator" seems to be a recurring theme in these
> threads.
>
> I am trying to download a program to a specific location so that it can be
> easily read by a scanning program.
>
> When I try to choose to save the program in "Program Files" I receive a
> message telling me that I can't do this without the permission of the
> administrator. Of course, I am logged on as the sole administrator...

Genitruc

RE: Choosing Location of Downloaded programs
ummm...???

Help???

"amber-55" wrote:

> "Genitruc" wrote:
>
> > The whole "but I'M the administrator" seems to be a recurring theme in these
> > threads.
> >
> > I am trying to download a program to a specific location so that it can be
> > easily read by a scanning program.
> >
> > When I try to choose to save the program in "Program Files" I receive a
> > message telling me that I can't do this without the permission of the
> > administrator. Of course, I am logged on as the sole administrator...

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Choosing Location of Downloaded programs
Genitruc

The Program Files folder is highly restricted as part of the new security
structure in Vista. The only time a program should be writing to that folder
is during an installation. configuration, settings and other occassional
information for the program should be directed to the User folder area.

If a program tries to write to that location, the write is automatically
"virtualized" and redirected to the users Virtual Store folder. (
C:\Users\username\App Data\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files).

This is why you are having problems placing those files in that location.

Another thing to remember is that even a user that is a member of the
Administrators group will still run as a Standard user, unless they are
prompted by UAC to elevate a certain action with their Administrator
privileges.

If a program such as your 'scanning' program is requiring that files be
placed in that location, then the program is likely not compatible with
Vista.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP