Unable to load new software

sarah!

Unable to load new software
Hey, Im trying to download software from the internet but when I try to run
the installer I get the message
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I have disabled the UAC
and all the permissions boxes are ticked allow. I changed the compatability
to windows XP and tried 'run as administrator' but NOTHING seems to be
allowing this program to run. Is there anyway or am I goin to have to accept
that im not going to have restricted access even on my own laptop?
Dustin Harper

Re: Unable to load new software
What software is it? There may be a workaround available. Some software just
doesn't work, and you may have to wait for a patch from the developer.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"sarah!" <sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey, Im trying to download software from the internet but when I try to
> run
> the installer I get the message
> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
> have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I have disabled the
> UAC
> and all the permissions boxes are ticked allow. I changed the
> compatability
> to windows XP and tried 'run as administrator' but NOTHING seems to be
> allowing this program to run. Is there anyway or am I goin to have to
> accept
> that im not going to have restricted access even on my own laptop?

Sarah

RE: Unable to load new software
I am having that problem with the latest Firefox update, 2.0.0.4. I installed
it on the admin account, but it keeps prompting me to install it on my
standard account and I have not been able to get it to work. I tried running
as admin, I tried disabling UAC, I even tried changing the standard account
to an admin account, but then - get this - when I opened the
formerly-standard account, my desktop was blank, all my icons were blanks,
Windows search and help would not work, and despite the fact that I could
easily navigate to the folder where firefox.exe was stored, I could NOT get
it to run. Nothing worked! Everything was back to normal as soon as I set the
account to standard again, but I am still getting prompted to install the
Firefox update. *despair*

Another Sarah