how do i change users account time usage

Mp

how do i change users account time usage
Hello.. if anyone knows how to give a limited time on an account please email
me on piernikarczykmj@aol.com.
My son is constantly on here and i know that cant be good for him so i would
like to give him just some time on the computer to stop him being on here
24/7. thankyou
MP
Dustin Harper

Re: how do i change users account time usage
You can set up parental controls (Start > Control Panel > Parental
Controls). You can set what times he can be on, and for how long total.

Hope this helps!

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
newsB74D75D-4A64-4309-BB5C-DE48C0872C7F@microsoft.com...

lcollins568@gmail.com

On Jun 2, 9:21 am, "Dustin Harper" <dhar...@vistarip.com> wrote:
> You can set upparental controls(Start > Control Panel >ParentalControls). You can set what times he can be on, and for how long total.

Not quite. The Vista parental controls will let you set times when the
computer can be used, but you can't control how long it can be used.
There is no "maxium run time" option. To get this kind of control you
need a third party parental control. I use one called PC Chaperone
(http://www.pc-chaperone.com). It will do what you want and more.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

<lcollins568@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1180918215.728355.196400@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
> On Jun 2, 9:21 am, "Dustin Harper" <dhar...@vistarip.com> wrote:
>> You can set upparental controls(Start > Control Panel >ParentalControls).
>> You can set what times he can be on, and for how long total.

> Not quite. The Vista parental controls will let you set times when the
> computer can be used, but you can't control how long it can be used.
> There is no "maxium run time" option. To get this kind of control you
> need a third party parental control. I use one called PC Chaperone
> (http://www.pc-chaperone.com). It will do what you want and more.

lcollins

That isn't exactly correct. You can set a maximum time, simply by setting
the time when a standard user is allowed to log on and when the user will be
automatically logged off. For instance, if you want a user to have access
for one hour you set the time when they are allowed to log on to 7:00 PM and
the time when they will be logged off to 8:00 PM.

You can check the time remaining for the session by hovering the cursor over
the Parental Controls icon in the Notification Area and a pop up will show
the time remaining. When one minute remains, the pop up will automatically
appear warning the user.

When the session ends, the system automatically returns to the Welcome
screen and that user can no longer log on.

The Administrator can also check the Activity Report to see exactly what the
user did during a session.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

lcollins568@gmail.com

Re: how do i change users account time usage
That is true, but only helpful if you know the exact hour when your
kid wants to use the computer. What if they want to use it between
7:30 and 8:30 instead of 8:00 and 9:00? The only way you could let
them is to reset they schedule.

With PC Chaperone I can set a schedule that lets my son use the
computer anytime between 5:00 and 10:00 while limiting the total time
he can use it to 2 hours. He can choose when he wants to use it, but
only for a total of 2 hours. Also, I can set schedules for programs as
well as the entire computer. For example, I have a schedule set that
limits my son's gaming to 1 hour a day. I can even limit the amount of
time that he can spend on specific websites. Without affecting general
web browsing, I have a schedule set that lets him use MySpace and
FaceBook for only an hour a day. This level of control is simply not
possible with the Vista parental controls. In fact I haven't seen any
other 3rd party parental control besides PC Chaperone that lets you
put schedules on individual websites.

I know I might sound like a cheerleader for these guys, it's just that
I love their software. It has been a godsend in so many ways. I can't
recommend it enough to any parent.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: how do i change users account time usage
lcollins

The whole point of Parental Controls is to restrict the kids to the time
that YOU set, not the time that THEY want to use the computer. I do agree
that the program settings should be more detailed, but we have to leave
something for the third party developers to do, otherwise it's unfair
competition.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

<lcollins568@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181003740.212119.88250@h2g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
> That is true, but only helpful if you know the exact hour when your
> kid wants to use the computer. What if they want to use it between
> 7:30 and 8:30 instead of 8:00 and 9:00? The only way you could let
> them is to reset they schedule.
>
> With PC Chaperone I can set a schedule that lets my son use the
> computer anytime between 5:00 and 10:00 while limiting the total time
> he can use it to 2 hours. He can choose when he wants to use it, but
> only for a total of 2 hours. Also, I can set schedules for programs as
> well as the entire computer. For example, I have a schedule set that
> limits my son's gaming to 1 hour a day. I can even limit the amount of
> time that he can spend on specific websites. Without affecting general
> web browsing, I have a schedule set that lets him use MySpace and
> FaceBook for only an hour a day. This level of control is simply not
> possible with the Vista parental controls. In fact I haven't seen any
> other 3rd party parental control besides PC Chaperone that lets you
> put schedules on individual websites.
>
> I know I might sound like a cheerleader for these guys, it's just that
> I love their software. It has been a godsend in so many ways. I can't
> recommend it enough to any parent.

lcollins568@gmail.com

Re: how do i change users account time usage
Unfair competition from Micorsoft???? I've never heard of such a thing