Permissions and access for program

projoe688

Permissions and access for program
On this one computer, several users play an internet game. I cannot get the
program set up to run for all users and allow changes in data files
accociated with the program. I have tried various permission and security
settings for all accounts. I have deleted and reinstalled the program to try
to start over on permissions. I had it working on one user account but not
the main one, then made another change to permissions and now it doesn't work
on the one account and I can't wven get back to the point where it was usable
but didn't update the data files each time.

So... First is there a way to return to the original or default permissions
and security settings.

Second...How do I get a program to run on all acounts and be able to modify
data files equally.

At this point the regular user account will run the program but requires a
admin password to do so. Is there a way to bypass the neccesity of inputing
an admin password each time?

Is there a way to set a program as identified and approved to run so that it
will do so each time without prompting for "unidentified" program?

Is it possible to make permissions and accounts easier to work through and
get the same results versus having so many different ways and things on so
many differnt pages to control? Such as a single page or a permissions help
tool that asks specific questions about what you are trying to accomplish in
plain English (or another language as appropriate) so that the definitions of
"persmissions", "inherited", "shared", "as admin", "full control" "execute"
"write" etc etc would not necesarily have to be fully understood in order
accomplish the objective on having multiple users have access to programs and
information with out having to take 6 mths of classes in order to be able to
do it all?

I understand the necesity for security. I can see how this will help protect
my kids in many ways. I like the ideas. I am having problem understanding how
to accomplish what I am trying to do.

Can anyone help?

swtrckymt.grl

RE: Permissions and access for program
i need to update my anti-virus program but cannot becouse i need the
administrators password to be able to update it. my computer is not protected
at this time. is there a way to bypass the administrator password so i can
get my computer protected again?
--
swtrckymt.grl

"projoe688" wrote:

> On this one computer, several users play an internet game. I cannot get the
> program set up to run for all users and allow changes in data files
> accociated with the program. I have tried various permission and security
> settings for all accounts. I have deleted and reinstalled the program to try
> to start over on permissions. I had it working on one user account but not
> the main one, then made another change to permissions and now it doesn't work
> on the one account and I can't wven get back to the point where it was usable
> but didn't update the data files each time.
>
> So... First is there a way to return to the original or default permissions
> and security settings.
>
> Second...How do I get a program to run on all acounts and be able to modify
> data files equally.
>
> At this point the regular user account will run the program but requires a
> admin password to do so. Is there a way to bypass the neccesity of inputing
> an admin password each time?
>
> Is there a way to set a program as identified and approved to run so that it
> will do so each time without prompting for "unidentified" program?
>
> Is it possible to make permissions and accounts easier to work through and
> get the same results versus having so many different ways and things on so
> many differnt pages to control? Such as a single page or a permissions help
> tool that asks specific questions about what you are trying to accomplish in
> plain English (or another language as appropriate) so that the definitions of
> "persmissions", "inherited", "shared", "as admin", "full control" "execute"
> "write" etc etc would not necesarily have to be fully understood in order
> accomplish the objective on having multiple users have access to programs and
> information with out having to take 6 mths of classes in order to be able to
> do it all?
>
> I understand the necesity for security. I can see how this will help protect
> my kids in many ways. I like the ideas. I am having problem understanding how
> to accomplish what I am trying to do.
>
> Can anyone help?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Permissions and access for program
Who does the administrator account belong to? Is this your administrator
account and you forgot the password?

Need more details to help.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"swtrckymt.grl" <swtrckymtgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> help
>> tool that asks specific questions about what you are trying to accomplish
>> in
>> plain English (or another language as appropriate) so that the
>> definitions of
>> "persmissions", "inherited", "shared", "as admin", "full control"
>> "execute"
>> "write" etc etc would not necesarily have to be fully understood in order
>> accomplish the objective on having multiple users have access to programs
>> and
>> information with out having to take 6 mths of classes in order to be able
>> do it all?
>>
>> I understand the necesity for security. I can see how this will help
>> protect
>> my kids in many ways. I like the ideas. I am having problem understanding

no i am not the administrator to this computer. my husband is. he is not
curently with me at this time and will not be back home until november. i
can't wait that long to get this protection on our computer. can you help me?
?
swtrckymt.grl

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >> help
> >> tool that asks specific questions about what you are trying to accomplish
> >> in
> >> plain English (or another language as appropriate) so that the
> >> definitions of
> >> "persmissions", "inherited", "shared", "as admin", "full control"
> >> "execute"
> >> "write" etc etc would not necesarily have to be fully understood in order
> >> accomplish the objective on having multiple users have access to programs
> >> and
> >> information with out having to take 6 mths of classes in order to be able
> >> do it all?
> >>
> >> I understand the necesity for security. I can see how this will help
> >> protect
> >> my kids in many ways. I like the ideas. I am having problem understanding

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Permissions and access for program
I'm afraid that your stuck? There is no way in Vista to get administrator
privileges without the admin password? You need to contact your husband and
get the password.