Accessing files - ownership doesn't help

RuthB

Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
Hi,

Like everyone here, I've recently installed Vista (or rather - got a new
computer with Vista on it). I've transferred the files from my old computer,
and when trying to access them, got the usual 'access privilege' message, so
I changed ownership, as was suggested by the computer's 'help' , and even
restarted the computer, just to be sure. But now, even though my (admin)
account is the owner of all these documents, I still get the same 'user does
not have access privileges' message (or just - 'cannot access', in case of an
excel file).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ruth
RuthB

RE: Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
Oh, and I also checked the 'permission' issue - my account seems to have
permission to all these folders, but all the 'checks' are in grey, so I can't
change them, only deny permission (which is obviously not what I want to do)

thanks!
Kerry Brown

"RuthB" <RuthB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Like everyone here, I've recently installed Vista (or rather - got a new
> computer with Vista on it). I've transferred the files from my old
> computer,
> and when trying to access them, got the usual 'access privilege' message,
> so
> I changed ownership, as was suggested by the computer's 'help' , and even
> restarted the computer, just to be sure. But now, even though my (admin)
> account is the owner of all these documents, I still get the same 'user
> does
> not have access privileges' message (or just - 'cannot access', in case of
> an
> excel file).
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Ruth

Were the files encrypted on the XP computer? Right click on a file and pick
properties, then click on the Advanced button. Is there a tick beside
Encrypt file?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

RuthB

Re: Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
No, not encrypted, nor 'read only'. mysterious...

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Were the files encrypted on the XP computer? Right click on a file and pick
> properties, then click on the Advanced button. Is there a tick beside
> Encrypt file?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Jimmy Brush

Re: Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
Hello,

- What folder did you copy your files to?
- Are you familiar with using the command prompt?

- JB

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 06:36:01 -0700, RuthB
<RuthB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Like everyone here, I've recently installed Vista (or rather - got a new
>computer with Vista on it). I've transferred the files from my old computer,
>and when trying to access them, got the usual 'access privilege' message, so
>I changed ownership, as was suggested by the computer's 'help' , and even
>restarted the computer, just to be sure. But now, even though my (admin)
>account is the owner of all these documents, I still get the same 'user does
>not have access privileges' message (or just - 'cannot access', in case of an
>excel file).
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks,
>Ruth

RuthB

Re: Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
Hi,

I copied the entirety of 'my documents' folder - including subfolders - into
the new 'documents' folder.

I have used command prompt before, but only with very specific instructions

Ruth

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> - What folder did you copy your files to?
> - Are you familiar with using the command prompt?
>
> - JB
>
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 06:36:01 -0700, RuthB
> <RuthB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Like everyone here, I've recently installed Vista (or rather - got a new
> >computer with Vista on it). I've transferred the files from my old computer,
> >and when trying to access them, got the usual 'access privilege' message, so
> >I changed ownership, as was suggested by the computer's 'help' , and even
> >restarted the computer, just to be sure. But now, even though my (admin)
> >account is the owner of all these documents, I still get the same 'user does
> >not have access privileges' message (or just - 'cannot access', in case of an
> >excel file).
> >
> >Can anyone help?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Ruth

RuthB

Re: Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
I found now that I can change the properties of a single file so that I can
access it - I need to add my user name to the permissions. quite basic of
course. the annoying thing though, is that I defined the entire parent
folder, with all it's subfolders and files, with permission for my user name,
but it doesn't seem to "catch". Instead of my own user name there is an
unknown user with a long string of numbers as its name (starting with
S-1-5-21).

Does this make any more sense?

cheers.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> - What folder did you copy your files to?
> - Are you familiar with using the command prompt?
>
> - JB
>
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 06:36:01 -0700, RuthB
> <RuthB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Like everyone here, I've recently installed Vista (or rather - got a new
> >computer with Vista on it). I've transferred the files from my old computer,
> >and when trying to access them, got the usual 'access privilege' message, so
> >I changed ownership, as was suggested by the computer's 'help' , and even
> >restarted the computer, just to be sure. But now, even though my (admin)
> >account is the owner of all these documents, I still get the same 'user does
> >not have access privileges' message (or just - 'cannot access', in case of an
> >excel file).
> >
> >Can anyone help?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Ruth

Jimmy Brush

Re: Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
Yes, this can happen sometimes when accessing files created from
another installation of Windows.

I would recommend using the following command-line tool to give
yourself permission to all of your files and folders:

- Open an elevated command prompt by right-clicking it and clicking
Run As Administrator
- Browse to the folder you need to accessr (e.g. cd
documents\oldfolder)
- Type: icacls . /grant USEROI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q
(Where USER is your username)
(Or, if you want ANY user to be able to access these files, replace
USER with Users)

- JB

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:54:01 -0700, RuthB

)
> - Type: icacls . /grant USEROI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q
> (Where USER is your username)

Nearly there, but the 'USEROI)(CI)(F)' part (with the USER changed
appropriately) is said to be an invalid parameter

Ruthi

> (Or, if you want ANY user to be able to access these files, replace
> USER with Users)
>
> - JB
>
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:54:01 -0700, RuthB
> <RuthB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I found now that I can change the properties of a single file so that I can
> >access it - I need to add my user name to the permissions. quite basic of
> >course. the annoying thing though, is that I defined the entire parent
> >folder, with all it's subfolders and files, with permission for my user name,
> >but it doesn't seem to "catch". Instead of my own user name there is an
> >unknown user with a long string of numbers as its name (starting with
> >S-1-5-21).
> >
> >Does this make any more sense?
> >
> >cheers.
> >
> >"Jimmy Brush" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> - What folder did you copy your files to?
> >> - Are you familiar with using the command prompt?
> >>
> >> - JB

Jimmy Brush

Re: Accessing files - ownership doesn't help
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 05:48:01 -0700, RuthB
<RuthB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Sorry, if your username has spaces in it, you'll need to put it in
double quotes. For example:

icacls . /grant "Jimmy brush"OI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q

- JB