Access Denied

coopdanewf

Access Denied
I'm having the problems trying to upgrade/install different programs and
drivers ... "access denied". My account/profile is listed as an
administrtor. When i tried to show the "admin" profile through dos (net user
administrator /active:yes) it would not let me .. system error 5 has
occured.. access denied. any suggestions?

coopdanewf
Jimmy Brush

Re: Access Denied
Hello,

In Windows Vista, even though you are an administrator, only programs
that ask for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to
continue") are allowed to use your admin power.

This prevents programs that you did not start from having admin power
over your computer.

If a program does not ask for your permission, yet you want it to have
admin power (e.g. the command prompt), you can right-click on it and
click Run As Administrator.

If a certain program does not prompt but you will always want it to
have admin power, you can open its properties screen, select the
compatability tab, and instruct it to run as administrator by checking
the appropriate box.

- JB

On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:29:01 -0700, coopdanewf
<coopdanewf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm having the problems trying to upgrade/install different programs and
>drivers ... "access denied". My account/profile is listed as an
>administrtor. When i tried to show the "admin" profile through dos (net user
>administrator /active:yes) it would not let me .. system error 5 has
>occured.. access denied. any suggestions?
>
>coopdanewf

Jason

Re: Access Denied
Jimbo,
Your solution sounded promising but like most things having to do with
Vista, it did not work.

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Windows Vista, even though you are an administrator, only programs
> that ask for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to
> continue") are allowed to use your admin power.
>
> This prevents programs that you did not start from having admin power
> over your computer.
>
> If a program does not ask for your permission, yet you want it to have
> admin power (e.g. the command prompt), you can right-click on it and
> click Run As Administrator.
>
> If a certain program does not prompt but you will always want it to
> have admin power, you can open its properties screen, select the
> compatability tab, and instruct it to run as administrator by checking
> the appropriate box.
>
> - JB
>
> On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:29:01 -0700, coopdanewf
> <coopdanewf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm having the problems trying to upgrade/install different programs and
> >drivers ... "access denied". My account/profile is listed as an
> >administrtor. When i tried to show the "admin" profile through dos (net user
> >administrator /active:yes) it would not let me .. system error 5 has
> >occured.. access denied. any suggestions?
> >
> >coopdanewf

Jimmy Brush

Re: Access Denied
Jason wrote:
> Jimbo,
> Your solution sounded promising but like most things having to do with
> Vista, it did not work.

Can you be more specific?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Jason

Re: Access Denied

If that does not work here is the link.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...lnwthj/001.jpg

Jason wrote:

> If that does not work here is the link.
> http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...lnwthj/001.jpg
>

> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Jason wrote:
>>> Jimbo,
>>> Your solution sounded promising but like most things having to do with
>>> Vista, it did not work.

>> Can you be more specific?
>>
>> --
>> -JB
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Have you tried running the program in Windows XP compatibility mode?

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
Jason

Re: Access Denied
I have been trying to run this program as XP compatible. When I try to run
without I get this pretty looking screen.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...lnwthj/002.jpg
Somewhat looks kind of like safe mode.