No Administrator Account

Steve Midgley

No Administrator Account
No, this isn't another case of the administrator account being disabled
(well, yes it is but I have a bigger problem). The only administrator
account on the computer is the ASPNET account, which does me no good at all.
The Administrator account isn't a logon choice in Safe Mode.

I don't know why or when this happened, but the only logon account on this
computer is a member of "users" and "Debugger Users" only - it was a member
of administrators, as well, but something got changed. I can't elevate the
account at all, for any reason. Any attempt to "Run as Administrator"
results in "Access Denied"

Running "net user Administrator /Active:yes" from the command prompt gives
me access denied.

Booting from the Vista disk and running the same command as above "seems" to
work but I still have no administrator logon in safe mode, as I should.

I've done several searches and have found others that have the same problem
but no solutions.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I might try next. Remember, I can't
do anything that requires an administrative account, elevated from a user or
otherwise.

I could easily reinstall Vista but I work as a computer tech and would like
to have the solution in case it comes up again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Steve Midgley

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: No Administrator Account
Steve

We are trying to track down exactly why this problem is occurring. Can you
give us some history on the problem?

Was this an upgrade over XP or a clean install?
If an upgrade, what was the status of the user accounts in XP prior to the
upgrade?
Had any accounts been hidden in XP?
Were you using the built-in administrator account as your everyday account
in XP?
Did you ever rename the built-in administrator account in XP?
Did all of the user accounts on XP appear in Vista after the upgrade?

What was the first indication you saw that there was a problem with the user
accounts in Vista?
What happened just prior to this discovery?
Was User Account Control enabled or ever disabled?

Boot from the Vista DVD and access the command prompt option.
Type:

net user (press enter)

Post the results back here.

Thanks.

PS. If you would rather take this to email, replace invalid with mvps.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Steve Midgley" <smidgley@com.net> wrote in message
> No, this isn't another case of the administrator account being disabled
> (well, yes it is but I have a bigger problem). The only administrator
> account on the computer is the ASPNET account, which does me no good at
> all. The Administrator account isn't a logon choice in Safe Mode.
>
> I don't know why or when this happened, but the only logon account on this
> computer is a member of "users" and "Debugger Users" only - it was a
> member of administrators, as well, but something got changed. I can't
> elevate the account at all, for any reason. Any attempt to "Run as
> Administrator" results in "Access Denied"
>
> Running "net user Administrator /Active:yes" from the command prompt gives
> me access denied.
>
> Booting from the Vista disk and running the same command as above "seems"
> to work but I still have no administrator logon in safe mode, as I should.
>
> I've done several searches and have found others that have the same
> problem but no solutions.
>
> Does anyone have any advice as to what I might try next. Remember, I can't
> do anything that requires an administrative account, elevated from a user
> or otherwise.
>
> I could easily reinstall Vista but I work as a computer tech and would
> like to have the solution in case it comes up again.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance,
> Steve Midgley

Steve Midgley

Re: No Administrator Account
Thanks for getting back so quickly, Ronnie. I've answered your questions
inline and will keep checking back for updates or if to see if you need
anything further from me.

> We are trying to track down exactly why this problem is occurring. Can you
> give us some history on the problem?
>
> Was this an upgrade over XP or a clean install?

Upgrade

> If an upgrade, what was the status of the user accounts in XP prior to the
> upgrade?

Everything was working normally

> Had any accounts been hidden in XP?

No

> Were you using the built-in administrator account as your everyday account
> in XP?

Yes

> Did you ever rename the built-in administrator account in XP?

Yes

> Did all of the user accounts on XP appear in Vista after the upgrade?

Yes, everything was working perfectly

> What was the first indication you saw that there was a problem with the
> user accounts in Vista?

The first indication that something had changed was that I was being
required to enter my password at logon .

> What happened just prior to this discovery?

I can't identify any changes to the system right before this started
happening. This machine is seldom rebooted, so it could have been a while
before I noticed.

> Was User Account Control enabled or ever disabled?

UAC was disabled

> Boot from the Vista DVD and access the command prompt option.
> Type:
>
> net user (press enter)

"Administrator Guest

Command completed with one or more errors."

My everyday user account is not listed here.

> Post the results back here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS. If you would rather take this to email, replace invalid with mvps.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Steve Midgley" <smidgley@com.net> wrote in message
>> No, this isn't another case of the administrator account being disabled
>> (well, yes it is but I have a bigger problem). The only administrator
>> account on the computer is the ASPNET account, which does me no good at
>> all. The Administrator account isn't a logon choice in Safe Mode.
>>
>> I don't know why or when this happened, but the only logon account on
>> this computer is a member of "users" and "Debugger Users" only - it was a
>> member of administrators, as well, but something got changed. I can't
>> elevate the account at all, for any reason. Any attempt to "Run as
>> Administrator" results in "Access Denied"
>>
>> Running "net user Administrator /Active:yes" from the command prompt
>> gives me access denied.
>>
>> Booting from the Vista disk and running the same command as above "seems"
>> to work but I still have no administrator logon in safe mode, as I
>> should.
>>
>> I've done several searches and have found others that have the same
>> problem but no solutions.
>>
>> Does anyone have any advice as to what I might try next. Remember, I
>> can't do anything that requires an administrative account, elevated from
>> a user or otherwise.
>>
>> I could easily reinstall Vista but I work as a computer tech and would
>> like to have the solution in case it comes up again.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance,
>> Steve Midgley

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: No Administrator Account
Steve

Thanks.

2 more quick questions.

What name did you give to the built-in administrator account in XP when you
changed it?

Boot with the DVD again, access the command prompt and type:

net user administrator (press enter)

Post back the results.

Thanks.

--

news:be2dnbCkifZgpcPbnZ2dnUVZ_sSmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Thanks for getting back so quickly, Ronnie. I've answered your questions
> inline and will keep checking back for updates or if to see if you need
> anything further from me.

Steve Midgley

Re: No Administrator Account
The name I gave the XP administrator account was Steve Midgley

net user administrator:

User name Administrator
Full Name
Comment Built-in account for administering the
computer/dom
ain
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

Password last set 5/30/2007 10:14:51 PM
Password expires Never
Password changeable 5/30/2007 10:14:51 PM
Password required Yes
User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon Never

Logon hours allowed All

Global Group memberships *None
The command completed successfully.

> Steve
>
> Thanks.
>
> 2 more quick questions.
>
> What name did you give to the built-in administrator account in XP when
> you changed it?
>
> Boot with the DVD again, access the command prompt and type:
>
> net user administrator (press enter)
>
> Post back the results.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Steve Midgley" <smidgley@com.net> wrote in message
> news:be2dnbCkifZgpcPbnZ2dnUVZ_sSmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Thanks for getting back so quickly, Ronnie. I've answered your questions
>> inline and will keep checking back for updates or if to see if you need
>> anything further from me.

Did the Steve Midgley account ever appear in Vista after the upgrade?
What account are you logging on with now?
Is the account you are logging on with now the same one that inexplicably
changed?

Getting late, we can continue tomorrow.

Thanks again.
--

news:XsmdnaYaNpgCzcPbnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> The name I gave the XP administrator account was Steve Midgley
>

> net user administrator:
>
> User name Administrator
> Full Name
> Comment Built-in account for administering the
> computer/dom
> ain
> User's comment
> Country code 000 (System Default)
> Account active Yes
> Account expires Never
>
> Password last set 5/30/2007 10:14:51 PM
> Password expires Never
> Password changeable 5/30/2007 10:14:51 PM
> Password required Yes
> User may change password Yes
>
> Workstations allowed All
> Logon script
> User profile
> Home directory
> Last logon Never
>
> Logon hours allowed All
>
> Global Group memberships *None
> The command completed successfully.
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> Steve
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> 2 more quick questions.
>>
>> What name did you give to the built-in administrator account in XP when
>> you changed it?
>>
>> Boot with the DVD again, access the command prompt and type:
>>
>> net user administrator (press enter)
>>
>> Post back the results.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Steve Midgley" <smidgley@com.net> wrote in message
>> news:be2dnbCkifZgpcPbnZ2dnUVZ_sSmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>> Thanks for getting back so quickly, Ronnie. I've answered your questions
>>> inline and will keep checking back for updates or if to see if you need
>>> anything further from me.

Steve Midgley

> Steve
>
> Thanks.
>
> Did the Steve Midgley account ever appear in Vista after the upgrade?
> What account are you logging on with now?
> Is the account you are logging on with now the same one that inexplicably
> changed?
>
> Getting late, we can continue tomorrow.
>
> Thanks again.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Yes, the Steve Midgley account worked normally in Vista for months.

Steve Midgley is the only account I can log on with and yes, it's the one
that changed.

Thanks for making the effort to get this figured out, Ronnie.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: No Administrator Account
Steve

I haven't forgotten you, I'm still working on this and it's turning out to
be a tough one.

--

news:CvadnXjk9qt29sPbnZ2dnUVZ_oavnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

> Steve
>
> I haven't forgotten you, I'm still working on this and it's turning out to
> be a tough one.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Yes, a tough one , indeed. I plan on hanging on until this is solved - this
machine is still operable for the most part and my laptop has a nearly
identical setup if I were to get stuck.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: No Administrator Account
Steve

I believe we have found a fix.

Thanks to MVP Jimmy Brush for doing the work on this procedure.

Here is his procedure:

<quote>
You get this behavior because the "net" command is running in the context of
the recovery environment, which is its own little in-memory windows
installation. The net command is listing the recovery enviornment's
accounts, and not the target windows installation's accounts.

Using the Recovery Environment, you can open the registry in the target
installation of Windows in order to apply the fix:

Boot with Vista installation disk in the drive and select the command prompt
in the repair options.

From the R.E. command prompt:

- Type: regedit
- Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Click File -> Load Hive
- Browse to the target installation's \Windows\System32\Config folder
- Select the file named "SAM" and click Open
- Give it a name, e.g. "Target SAM" and click OK
- Expand "Target SAM" inside of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Expand into the following subfolder: SAM\Domains\Account\Users\000001F4
- Double-click the item in the right called "F"
- You are now presented with a hex editor
- Change the 57'th position from hex 11 to hex 10. (I believe this is the
only spot in the data that contains a hex 11). To do this, click to the
right of hex 11 to make the insertion point there. Press backspace, and 11
disappears. Type 10.

On my computer, here's what the data looked like, up to the point that I
changed:

FROM:

02,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,80,8c,d7,b2,e9,97,c7,01,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,
00,1f,ea,fd,ad,e9,97,c7,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,de,ad,60,9b,e9,97,c7,01,
f4,01,00,00,01,02,00,00,11, ...

TO:

02,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,80,8c,d7,b2,e9,97,c7,01,00 ,00,00,00,00,00,00,
00,1f,ea,fd,ad,e9,97,c7,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,de,ad,60,9b,e9,97,c7,01,
f4,01,00,00,01,02,00,00,10, ...

This should make the built-in admin account active, but we still need to
unhide it from the welcome screen.

**NOTE, the following key may not be present on all systems. If this key is
missing, simply exit regedit, exit the command prompt and restart the system
to the normal Vista installation.***

- Follow the same steps on loading a hive, but instead of loading SAM, load
SOFTWARE
- Give it a name such as "Target Software"
- Expand Target Software, and browse to the following key:

Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \
UserList \

- Delete the entry in there named "Administrator"
- Close down regedit
- Reboot

Administrator should now be enabled and able to be logged in as or elevated
to.

- JB - Windows Shell/User
</quote>

***Note when you boot to Vista the administrator account should appear on
the login screen. If it does not, log on with your normal account and try
starting a program or application with administrator privileges, you should
get an elevation prompt.

Let me know how this works for you.
--

newsYOdnc7SGLI3x8LbnZ2dnUVZ_h-vnZ2d@comcast.com...