Disabling Password Reset Disks

Moose

Disabling Password Reset Disks
I'm running Vista Home Premium, in case you need to know. :P

I have a brother who is freaking dangerous. Whenever he gets on the computer
he downloads malicious programs that infect the computer, and he's smart
enough to get past what little security there is for someone on an
administrator account.

I've tried to keep him out but he always finds a way on my computer -
usually because one of my parents accidentally leaves the computer on. I'm
still clueless as to how he finds out the passwords we set (I can't set
complex ones like ads0o98a3n for my parents because they can't remember it,
and now it's too late to set them to standard because of the reasons below).

Now he's gone and made a password reset disk for my parents' account. They
have enough settings on there that they do not want me to make a new account
and delete the old one, and I don't know if setting the account to standard
will allow him to still use the disk, and I'm confident in my ability to
remember my own password. Is there any way to disable to use of password
reset disks?

Alternatively, will setting it to standard remove his ability to use the
aforementioned disk?
Michael

Re: Disabling Password Reset Disks
If you make a new password reset disk (for each account) the previous ones
are disabled.
Michael

"Moose" <Moose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Premium, in case you need to know. :P
>
> I have a brother who is freaking dangerous. Whenever he gets on the
> computer
> he downloads malicious programs that infect the computer, and he's smart
> enough to get past what little security there is for someone on an
> administrator account.
>
> I've tried to keep him out but he always finds a way on my computer -
> usually because one of my parents accidentally leaves the computer on. I'm
> still clueless as to how he finds out the passwords we set (I can't set
> complex ones like ads0o98a3n for my parents because they can't remember
> it,
> and now it's too late to set them to standard because of the reasons
> below).
>
> Now he's gone and made a password reset disk for my parents' account. They
> have enough settings on there that they do not want me to make a new
> account
> and delete the old one, and I don't know if setting the account to
> standard
> will allow him to still use the disk, and I'm confident in my ability to
> remember my own password. Is there any way to disable to use of password
> reset disks?
>
> Alternatively, will setting it to standard remove his ability to use the
> aforementioned disk?

Tim

Re: Disabling Password Reset Disks
Well...if he's *that* dangerous, you might want to: confiscate the CD drive
and/or the PC's power cord (but he could always purchase his own)...get your
own computer...or (and here's a really radical idea) ask your parents to act
like parents and control their "freaking dangerous" kid.

Tim

"Moose" <Moose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Premium, in case you need to know. :P
>
> I have a brother who is freaking dangerous. Whenever he gets on the
> computer
> he downloads malicious programs that infect the computer, and he's smart
> enough to get past what little security there is for someone on an
> administrator account.
>
> I've tried to keep him out but he always finds a way on my computer -
> usually because one of my parents accidentally leaves the computer on. I'm
> still clueless as to how he finds out the passwords we set (I can't set
> complex ones like ads0o98a3n for my parents because they can't remember
> it,
> and now it's too late to set them to standard because of the reasons
> below).
>
> Now he's gone and made a password reset disk for my parents' account. They
> have enough settings on there that they do not want me to make a new
> account
> and delete the old one, and I don't know if setting the account to
> standard
> will allow him to still use the disk, and I'm confident in my ability to
> remember my own password. Is there any way to disable to use of password
> reset disks?
>
> Alternatively, will setting it to standard remove his ability to use the
> aforementioned disk?

Tim

Re: Disabling Password Reset Disks
Another thought...

If the BIOS supports it, remove the CD drive and floppy drive from the boot
order and then put a password on BIOS changes. But then you have to worry
about him getting into the case to either remove the battery or change the
BIOS reset jumper.

Bottom line - there is not a perfect technology solution to your problem so
it still comes down to controlling the behaviour of the idiotic child.

Tim