Vista permissions

rservicer

Vista permissions
This permission thing needs to be removed entirely
Can’t even install Acrobat reader, install Run won’t work
Save TO DISK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, won’t work
Even browsing documents and settings is not allowed
I even went threw all the security setting and claimed ownership
All to no avail
Again MS is missing the point
This is my computer and I am the administrator
This run as administrator needs to be removed
We are the administrator
And if we want to break our computer than let us !

Tim

Re: Vista permissions
Is this just a venting session?

If you want help, please provide more detail and then formulate a question.

"rservicer" <rservicer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista permissions
> This permission thing needs to be removed entirely
> Can’t even install Acrobat reader, install Run won’t work
> Save TO DISK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, won’t work
> Even browsing documents and settings is not allowed
> I even went threw all the security setting and claimed ownership
> All to no avail
> Again MS is missing the point
> This is my computer and I am the administrator
> This run as administrator needs to be removed
> We are the administrator
> And if we want to break our computer than let us !

Mike Brannigan

Re: Vista permissions

"rservicer" <rservicer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista permissions
> This permission thing needs to be removed entirely
> Can’t even install Acrobat reader, install Run won’t work
> Save TO DISK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, won’t work
> Even browsing documents and settings is not allowed
> I even went threw all the security setting and claimed ownership
> All to no avail
> Again MS is missing the point
> This is my computer and I am the administrator
> This run as administrator needs to be removed
> We are the administrator
> And if we want to break our computer than let us !

Your inability to install Acrobat Reader is a known issue with the Adobe
software - THEY have addressed this with a support note explaining exactly
how to install THEIR product on Vista - and yes it does work.
So go to the adobe web site and read the note
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...t=vista%20temp

So prior to blaming the OS you should do a little more research and
understand that some vendors have not updated THEIR products to work in the
more secure environment afforded to you by Windows Vista.

--

Mike Brannigan

rservicer

Re: Vista permissions
Mike Thank You, I Like your Fire, That Worked > XP compatibility

I did search on Adobe for an answer to this but found none
thank you for the link :-)

This is a clean install on a new HD and it has not gone well, Still have
Issues with Lockup, Dual Boot XP is fine, Removed all programs that were not
compatible utilizing Vista adviser, but issues remain
every install of a program results in a lockup requireing a power cycle to
reboot
then the install goes well,
this happens on every install of a program, even this one of Acrobat

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "rservicer" <rservicer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista permissions
> > This permission thing needs to be removed entirely
> > Can’t even install Acrobat reader, install Run won’t work
> > Save TO DISK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, won’t work
> > Even browsing documents and settings is not allowed
> > I even went threw all the security setting and claimed ownership
> > All to no avail
> > Again MS is missing the point
> > This is my computer and I am the administrator
> > This run as administrator needs to be removed
> > We are the administrator
> > And if we want to break our computer than let us !
> >

> Your inability to install Acrobat Reader is a known issue with the Adobe
> software - THEY have addressed this with a support note explaining exactly
> how to install THEIR product on Vista - and yes it does work.
> So go to the adobe web site and read the note
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...t=vista%20temp
>
> So prior to blaming the OS you should do a little more research and
> understand that some vendors have not updated THEIR products to work in the
> more secure environment afforded to you by Windows Vista.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Greg

Re: Vista permissions
It's not marked as a question, it's marked as a comment. There's nothing
that says it has to be a question. Leave him alone. If MS doesn't want
'venting' about their products, let them produce products that don't
exasperate ordinary users.

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
> Is this just a venting session?
>
> If you want help, please provide more detail and then formulate a
> question.
>

> "rservicer" <rservicer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Vista permissions
>> This permission thing needs to be removed entirely
>> Can’t even install Acrobat reader, install Run won’t work
>> Save TO DISK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, won’t work
>> Even browsing documents and settings is not allowed
>> I even went threw all the security setting and claimed ownership
>> All to no avail
>> Again MS is missing the point
>> This is my computer and I am the administrator
>> This run as administrator needs to be removed
>> We are the administrator
>> And if we want to break our computer than let us !

Tim

Re: Vista permissions
You're right...I failed to notice it was marked as a comment...sorry about
that.

Tim

"Greg" <greg.munro@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> It's not marked as a question, it's marked as a comment. There's nothing
> that says it has to be a question. Leave him alone. If MS doesn't want
> 'venting' about their products, let them produce products that don't
> exasperate ordinary users.
>
> "Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
>> Is this just a venting session?
>>
>> If you want help, please provide more detail and then formulate a
>> question.
>>

>> "rservicer" <rservicer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Vista permissions
>>> This permission thing needs to be removed entirely
>>> Can’t even install Acrobat reader, install Run won’t work
>>> Save TO DISK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, won’t work
>>> Even browsing documents and settings is not allowed
>>> I even went threw all the security setting and claimed ownership
>>> All to no avail
>>> Again MS is missing the point
>>> This is my computer and I am the administrator
>>> This run as administrator needs to be removed
>>> We are the administrator
>>> And if we want to break our computer than let us !

Greg

Re: Vista permissions
Sokay, sorry if I 'vented' at you!

> You're right...I failed to notice it was marked as a comment...sorry about
> that.
>
> Tim
>
> "Greg" <greg.munro@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> It's not marked as a question, it's marked as a comment. There's nothing
>> that says it has to be a question. Leave him alone. If MS doesn't want
>> 'venting' about their products, let them produce products that don't
>> exasperate ordinary users.
>>
>> "Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
>>> Is this just a venting session?
>>>
>>> If you want help, please provide more detail and then formulate a
>>> question.

XweAponX

Re: Vista permissions

Jeeze youse guys, I mean all it is is Vi$ta right? Well I suppose just
the exi$tence of Vi$ta is pi$$ing a lot of people off lately.

I want to point out two statements that ring true:

> "If MS doesn't want 'venting' about their products, let them produce
> products that don't exasperate ordinary users."

And

> This is my computer and I am the administrator.
> This run as administrator needs to be removed.
> We are the administrator, And if we want to break our computer than let
> us !

MS, with Vi$$$$ta, in one swell foop is causing a lot of people to
question, exactly what are they buying when they buy a computer.

The only way MS would have a right to install the security features
they are forcing upon us, is if they were Letting us the the computers.
(Let = Rent btw).

But they forget that these are OUR systems and each of us here that has
posted has one or two ways in which they wish to set up their operating
system. I have my way, you guys have your ways, that you are comfortable
with.

I have been using a particular configuration for XP since it came out:

I dislike all the "pretty crap" in the XP GUI, I like a plain looking
interface. No images on my desktop, or, an image that is not too
complicated. I shut off Security Center. I do not like "hide inactive
icons"

These are just preferences really, but I feel that I should not have to
battle the OS just to set them. With XP, Microsoft did us a big favour
with the "TweakUI" Power Toy, giving us one program that controls a huge
percentage of these features.

I have not found the Vista equivalent of this. ONE interface, where we
can disable UAC, shut off the security center AND the balloon popup
warnings, delete all of the temp files on the system. For now, there are
3rd party programs that allow access to some of these things, but Vista
ought to have a TweakUI of it's own.

My pet peeve with Vista, XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95:

Why is it that every time MS does a new OS that all the Software
Companies are expected to HOP and make all new versions of everything,
even though the current versions are satisfactory and useful?

Office for instance.

In all previous versions of Office the basic file formats are all the
same, but for a few changes in the latest versions.

Office 2007? Worthless and Nightmarish. Sure it can open Access and
Excel files from Office 98: but only under great strain and also, only
after "proving to microsoft that the files were created in a 'legal'
version of Office" - Nice eh? I have already experienced this nice
feature: I had Office 2003 and Office 2007 both installed side by side,
and every time I opened a file created in Office 2003, it connected to
the internet and validated my Office, both copies. I say: Protecting the
Operating System is one thing, but this is just a little bit too far and
too much. What next, a LAW ordering us to register our computers every
year, and if we do not have Vista on it we cannot get a registration?
That's the direction it is going.

So, I hope Microsoft is reading this, cos I am venting, and I am one
very exasperated USER.

If I had the ear of Microsoft I would demand that all this paranoid
security crap be taken out of the OS- And I would also demand that the
OS be able to allow me to use my current versions of all of my software.
I would also demand reinstallation of the MIDI GAMEPORT so I can use my
Midi Software and/or 300 dollar Joystick that needs a Gameport,
something which has been on computers since maybe even before the modern
day sound card.

And If I were Microsoft, and I were REALLY interested in being helpful
to the people who not only use, but depend on their products:

I would accede to these demands, and to top it off, I would drop the
price of Vista Ultimate Edition (Retail Box) by at least $150. I would
drop the price of the Home basic Edition Update to 70 dollars- As a
matter of fact, I wold do away with "upgrade" versions compleatly, there
is really no use for sich things. All OS installation disks ought to be
able to do both a full install or an update. Also, I would keep the
options open for computer companies to build computers for their
customers who would rather not use Vista.

I want to end this raving rant with this: in April, a client came to me
with a 4 GHz Duo Core system, 4 GB of DDR-II 533? 533 MHz Ram, 1066 MHz
Front Side Bus. Vanderpool chip, so 1 GB of the ram was set aside for
VM- I had not known was Vanderpool was when I first saw the system. It
was a beauty. It was BRAND NEW. It had Vista BUSINESS edition.

The system did not work. The DVD would not even detect. The DVD was a
special LS DVD, an SATA DVD burner, needed drivers to work. the drivers
were for XP. There were No Vista drivers.

The whole system was just bogged. So with the client's permission, we
removed Vista and installed XP MCE. MCE really light the thing up. It
was magnificent.

So, we compromised, the man did actually have a Vista Business Edition
DVD: So we created a Virtual Drive and installed Vista- We used 1 GB of
memory for the system, and since 1 GB was already set aside, it ran
incredibly.

Story Moral: Vista should be a CHOICE. The security features should be
a CHOICE. My choices have to be respected by the computer companies and
the software designers. YOUR choices. My choices are your choices.

Windows 3.11 through Vista, I do not think I should have to prove that
I bought it after I bought it, and KEEP on proving it at Microsoft's
discretion. I do not live and use programs for the convenience of
Microsoft, I use Vista at -MY- OWN discretion and when I hit the start
button on that PC, It should start the product I BOUGHT, and all I
should need to prove that I bought it (AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ACTIVATE
OR VALIDATE IT IN ANY WAY) is the store reciept and nothing else. When I
PAY MONEY that I Worked my ARSE off for, that IU could use to otherwise
EAT: IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT I OWN IT. And I shoudl be able to USE
it right off. If Microsoft wants us to kow tow, then they really need to
stop SELLING Windows and start RENTING it to us. Then, they can do what
the heck they want. But, instead we have to pay 400 Dollars for Vista
Ultimate Edition and it is locked up so tight, that you even have to
have permission to breathe while using it. Sorry, 400 dollars is 1) A
LOT of money, too much for an Operating System- A PERSONAL Operating
System? Who can BUY it? 2) I mean for 400 dollars I can buy a the parts
for a whole 3 GHZ computer BOX with at least 1 GB Ram. Vista UE ought to
be no more than 150 for full installable version. 3) When I put out a
large amount of money like that, I should have a LOT of choices... and
RIGHTS. Microsoft is according us Neither. Think about -that-.

How many times has anyone had to prove they bought a hotdog before they
ate it? Next thing we know, we'll have to do just that.

-End of Rant-

(Boy that took 4 hours, sorry about that- I just wanted to cover
everything, cos this is the only full rant I am gonna do here)

--
XweAponX