Several Administrator acounts?

Kamil Dursun

Several Administrator acounts?
I have an administrator acount that I made visible. It is called
"Administrator".

I have another aount with the name "Kamil".

I have an Acess application that I put at "Computer\Program Files\..." I
want to be able to read and change this file.

Only the administrator acount can do this, the other acount can only read.

I tried to give administrator acess to "Kamil" while logged in as
"Administrator" but it was not possible.

How can I do this?

Thanks
Kamil
Kamil Dursun

RE: Several Administrator acounts?
Correction:

I realised that "Kamil" has administrator access. Anyway, it still cannot
change a file residing on "C:\Program Files\...".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Kamil

"Kamil Dursun" wrote:

> I have an administrator acount that I made visible. It is called
> "Administrator".
>
> I have another aount with the name "Kamil".
>
> I have an Acess application that I put at "Computer\Program Files\..." I
> want to be able to read and change this file.
>
> Only the administrator acount can do this, the other acount can only read.
>
> I tried to give administrator acess to "Kamil" while logged in as
> "Administrator" but it was not possible.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> Thanks
> Kamil

Michael

Re: Several Administrator acounts?
Kamil,
C:\program files\ is for the actual programs (i.e. Microsoft Access) it is
not for user databases (your data/functions/reports etc). In general
programs are placed in the programs files area by trusted installers
(Microsoft installer) and are protected from changes as you have found.
There should not be any reason for a user to make changes to a 'program'
file in this sense. If you place the database in the shared documents area
(c:\users\public\documents is usually the actual path.) Then permissions
will be set for 'everyone' on the computer to use the database.

I am sure there are ways to get around how MS wants to use c:\program files,
however you can do things MS's way or you can do them the hard way, lately I
have preferred MS way, although it is not as interesting.

Michael

"Kamil Dursun" <KamilDursun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Correction:
>
> I realised that "Kamil" has administrator access. Anyway, it still cannot
> change a file residing on "C:\Program Files\...".
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Kamil
>
> "Kamil Dursun" wrote:
>
>> I have an administrator acount that I made visible. It is called
>> "Administrator".
>>
>> I have another aount with the name "Kamil".
>>
>> I have an Acess application that I put at "Computer\Program Files\..." I
>> want to be able to read and change this file.
>>
>> Only the administrator acount can do this, the other acount can only
>> read.
>>
>> I tried to give administrator acess to "Kamil" while logged in as
>> "Administrator" but it was not possible.
>>
>> How can I do this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kamil

Kamil Dursun

Re: Several Administrator acounts?
Thanks Michael,

In the beginning, I tried it the "MS" way, i.e. I placed my application in
the Public folder but it did not help. The same problem was there also.

I can use the application but I cannot change any data in it.

There is something wrong with permissions but I cannot figure out what.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks again
Kamil

"Michael" wrote:

> Kamil,
> C:\program files\ is for the actual programs (i.e. Microsoft Access) it is
> not for user databases (your data/functions/reports etc). In general
> programs are placed in the programs files area by trusted installers
> (Microsoft installer) and are protected from changes as you have found.
> There should not be any reason for a user to make changes to a 'program'
> file in this sense. If you place the database in the shared documents area
> (c:\users\public\documents is usually the actual path.) Then permissions
> will be set for 'everyone' on the computer to use the database.
>
> I am sure there are ways to get around how MS wants to use c:\program files,
> however you can do things MS's way or you can do them the hard way, lately I
> have preferred MS way, although it is not as interesting.
>
> Michael
>
> "Kamil Dursun" <KamilDursun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Correction:
> >
> > I realised that "Kamil" has administrator access. Anyway, it still cannot
> > change a file residing on "C:\Program Files\...".
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kamil
> >
> > "Kamil Dursun" wrote:
> >
> >> I have an administrator acount that I made visible. It is called
> >> "Administrator".
> >>
> >> I have another aount with the name "Kamil".
> >>
> >> I have an Acess application that I put at "Computer\Program Files\..." I
> >> want to be able to read and change this file.
> >>
> >> Only the administrator acount can do this, the other acount can only
> >> read.
> >>
> >> I tried to give administrator acess to "Kamil" while logged in as
> >> "Administrator" but it was not possible.
> >>
> >> How can I do this?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Kamil

Michael

Re: Several Administrator acounts?
Kamil,

I created an empty dummy database in Access 2000, saved it in public
(c:\users\public\db1.mdb).

Checking permissions, (right click on file, properties, Security tab, I
show that 'everyone' has 'full control', that should mean that anyone with
an Vista account should be able to see/modify that database.

After creating that database (using an administrator group account) I
switched to a 'user' group account. Was able to see and modify the database.

What do your permissions show?

Michel

> Thanks Michael,
>
> In the beginning, I tried it the "MS" way, i.e. I placed my application in
> the Public folder but it did not help. The same problem was there also.
>
> I can use the application but I cannot change any data in it.
>
> There is something wrong with permissions but I cannot figure out what.
>
> Appreciate any ideas.
>
> Thanks again
> Kamil
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Kamil,
>> C:\program files\ is for the actual programs (i.e. Microsoft Access) it
>> is
>> not for user databases (your data/functions/reports etc). In general
>> programs are placed in the programs files area by trusted installers
>> (Microsoft installer) and are protected from changes as you have found.
>> There should not be any reason for a user to make changes to a 'program'
>> file in this sense. If you place the database in the shared documents
>> area
>> (c:\users\public\documents is usually the actual path.) Then permissions
>> will be set for 'everyone' on the computer to use the database.
>>
>> I am sure there are ways to get around how MS wants to use c:\program
>> files,
>> however you can do things MS's way or you can do them the hard way,
>> lately I
>> have preferred MS way, although it is not as interesting.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "Kamil Dursun" <KamilDursun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Correction:
>> >
>> > I realised that "Kamil" has administrator access. Anyway, it still
>> > cannot
>> > change a file residing on "C:\Program Files\...".
>> >
>> > What am I doing wrong?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Kamil

Kamil Dursun

Re: Several Administrator acounts?
I shared the file. I see "full control".

I can enter and edit the file now.

I have an Access 2007 db and it does not behave like the previous 2003 db I
transferred from. Trying to find out about other possibilities.

Thanks
Kamil

"Michael" wrote:

> Kamil,
>
> I created an empty dummy database in Access 2000, saved it in public
> (c:\users\public\db1.mdb).
>
> Checking permissions, (right click on file, properties, Security tab, I
> show that 'everyone' has 'full control', that should mean that anyone with
> an Vista account should be able to see/modify that database.
>
> After creating that database (using an administrator group account) I
> switched to a 'user' group account. Was able to see and modify the database.
>
> What do your permissions show?
>
> Michel
>

> "Kamil Dursun" <KamilDursun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Michael,
> >
> > In the beginning, I tried it the "MS" way, i.e. I placed my application in
> > the Public folder but it did not help. The same problem was there also.
> >
> > I can use the application but I cannot change any data in it.
> >
> > There is something wrong with permissions but I cannot figure out what.
> >
> > Appreciate any ideas.
> >
> > Thanks again
> > Kamil
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Kamil,
> >> C:\program files\ is for the actual programs (i.e. Microsoft Access) it
> >> is
> >> not for user databases (your data/functions/reports etc). In general
> >> programs are placed in the programs files area by trusted installers
> >> (Microsoft installer) and are protected from changes as you have found.
> >> There should not be any reason for a user to make changes to a 'program'
> >> file in this sense. If you place the database in the shared documents
> >> area
> >> (c:\users\public\documents is usually the actual path.) Then permissions
> >> will be set for 'everyone' on the computer to use the database.
> >>
> >> I am sure there are ways to get around how MS wants to use c:\program
> >> files,
> >> however you can do things MS's way or you can do them the hard way,
> >> lately I
> >> have preferred MS way, although it is not as interesting.
> >>
> >> Michael

Michael

Re: Several Administrator acounts?
Kamil
Glad you have immediate problem solved. I am way behind - Access 2000, I am
of the "if it still works don't upgrade" group.
(actually just too cheap!)

>I shared the file. I see "full control".
>
> I can enter and edit the file now.
>
> I have an Access 2007 db and it does not behave like the previous 2003 db
> transferred from. Trying to find out about other possibilities.
>
> Thanks
> Kamil
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Kamil,
>>
>> I created an empty dummy database in Access 2000, saved it in public
>> (c:\users\public\db1.mdb).
>>
>> Checking permissions, (right click on file, properties, Security tab, I
>> show that 'everyone' has 'full control', that should mean that anyone
>> with
>> an Vista account should be able to see/modify that database.
>>
>> After creating that database (using an administrator group account) I
>> switched to a 'user' group account. Was able to see and modify the
>> database.
>>
>> What do your permissions show?
>>
>> Michel
>>

>> "Kamil Dursun" <KamilDursun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Michael,
>> >
>> > In the beginning, I tried it the "MS" way, i.e. I placed my application
>> > in
>> > the Public folder but it did not help. The same problem was there also.
>> >
>> > I can use the application but I cannot change any data in it.
>> >
>> > There is something wrong with permissions but I cannot figure out what.
>> >
>> > Appreciate any ideas.
>> >
>> > Thanks again
>> > Kamil

Kamil Dursun

Re: Several Administrator acounts?
Well Michael, I agree totally with you. My computer crashed so I had to get a
new one. It was pre-installed with Vista. So I thought I can just as well get
Office 2007. Now I am struggling with the children diseases of these systems.

BTW it was Norton firewall that stopped me from accessing Public folders.

All the best
Kamil