Changing animation after "windows needs your permission" box

Angelique

Changing animation after "windows needs your permission" box
I can't find any settings that will control the way the screen "flashes" on
again after Vista checks to see if I really want to change a setting. (Like
everyone else, I'd like to disable this feature completely, but from what
I've heard I shouldn't bother to try.)

Anyway, due to my migraine problems I take special care to trick out my
computer just so. Unfortunately when Vista asks for my permission to change
something, it fades out the background, and when I say yes, the entire screen
goes black and pops back up bright, and this happens very quickly. Can I do
anything about this?
Tim

Re: Changing animation after "windows needs your permission" box
You can't modify how the screen flashes but you can stop the flashing by
turning off UAC (but that affects basic security on your PC...you have to
decide which is more important to you).

Tim

"Angelique" <Angelique@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't find any settings that will control the way the screen "flashes" on
> again after Vista checks to see if I really want to change a setting.
> (Like
> everyone else, I'd like to disable this feature completely, but from what
> I've heard I shouldn't bother to try.)
>
> Anyway, due to my migraine problems I take special care to trick out my
> computer just so. Unfortunately when Vista asks for my permission to
> change
> something, it fades out the background, and when I say yes, the entire
> screen
> goes black and pops back up bright, and this happens very quickly. Can I
> do
> anything about this?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Changing animation after "windows needs your permission" box
Angelique

The dimming of the screen is the Secure Desktop which is part of the UAC
module. The Secure Desktop prevents anything from happening on the computer
until you dismiss the UAC prompt by either clicking Continue or Cancel.

You can selectively turn the secure desktop off and still leave the UAC
turned on. This will make UAC less secure, but it will still be functioning.

Go to Start and type regedit.exe. In the results, click regedit.exe to open
the registry editor. Navigate to the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

In the right side window, double click the "PromptOnSecureDesktop"
value. Change the Value Data to 0 (zero) and click OK. Close the registry
editor.

You will still see the UAC prompt, but the dimming of the screen will no
longer happen.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Angelique" <Angelique@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't find any settings that will control the way the screen "flashes" on
> again after Vista checks to see if I really want to change a setting.
> (Like
> everyone else, I'd like to disable this feature completely, but from what
> I've heard I shouldn't bother to try.)
>
> Anyway, due to my migraine problems I take special care to trick out my
> computer just so. Unfortunately when Vista asks for my permission to
> change
> something, it fades out the background, and when I say yes, the entire
> screen
> goes black and pops back up bright, and this happens very quickly. Can I
> do
> anything about this?

Angelique

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Angelique
>
> You can selectively turn the secure desktop off and still leave the UAC
> turned on.....

Thanks! I'm going to do this, unless.... Is there a way to disable UAC
completely? I can't imagine how it's keeping my computer safe. Why do I need
to give the computer permission to do something like open the "change sounds"
dialog box?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Changing animation after "windows needs your permission" box
Angelique

There are many seemingly simple operations that a malicious virus can use to
access critical parts of the system. Just about any module in Control Panel
comes under the heading of being critical.

You can completely disable UAC, but this is not recommended. However, since
this is a kind of unique situation, with your concern about migraines, here
are the instructions.

Open Control Panel / User Accounts. Your user account will be displayed and
you will see an option to "Turn User Account Control Off", click that link
and then remove the check mark from "Use user account control" and click OK.
Reboot to see the change.

After you make this change, make sure that you maintain at least one account
in the Administrators Group.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Angelique
>>
>> You can selectively turn the secure desktop off and still leave the UAC
>> turned on.....

> Thanks! I'm going to do this, unless.... Is there a way to disable UAC
> completely? I can't imagine how it's keeping my computer safe. Why do I
> need
> to give the computer permission to do something like open the "change
> sounds"
> dialog box?

Angelique

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Open Control Panel / User Accounts. Your user account will be displayed and
> you will see an option to "Turn User Account Control Off", click that link
> and then remove the check mark from "Use user account control" and click OK.
> Reboot to see the change.
>
> After you make this change, make sure that you maintain at least one account
> in the Administrators Group.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly: An administrator needs to have
User Account Control. However, a regular user can make most kinds of changes
without Account Control. Therefore, I should create another user account, one
that is an administrator, so that I have that authority if I need it. In the
meantime, I will be able to change most things without needing to give
permission.

Do I have that right?

Angelique
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Changing animation after "windows needs your permission" box
Angelique

With UAC off, you will need to use an account in the administrators group,
just like you did in XP. If you turn UAC off and you change (to a Standard
User) or delete the only administrator account on the system, you will
effectively be locked out of making any changes to the system that requires
administrative privileges.

If UAC is off and you are logged on with a Standard account, you will not be
able to perform Administrative functions. If you attempt to perform a
function that requires administrator privileges, the function will simply
silently fail or you will receive an Access Denied error message.

Turning UAC off also disables File Virtualization, Protected Mode in
Internet Explorer, and some Software Compatibility.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Open Control Panel / User Accounts. Your user account will be displayed
>> and
>> you will see an option to "Turn User Account Control Off", click that
>> link
>> and then remove the check mark from "Use user account control" and click
>> OK.
>> Reboot to see the change.
>>
>> After you make this change, make sure that you maintain at least one
>> account
>> in the Administrators Group.

> Let me make sure I understand this correctly: An administrator needs to
> have
> User Account Control. However, a regular user can make most kinds of
> changes
> without Account Control. Therefore, I should create another user account,
> one
> that is an administrator, so that I have that authority if I need it. In
> the
> meantime, I will be able to change most things without needing to give
> permission.
>
> Do I have that right?
>
> Angelique

Jimmy Brush

Re: Changing animation after "windows needs your permission" box
Hello,

A standard user account cannot make system-wide changes, regardless of
UAC.

An administrator account can always make system-wide changes,
regardless of UAC.

With UAC turned on, the system additionally makes administrator
accounts more secure by only allowing admin programs that you start to
actually use your admin power.

It does this via the prompt (Windows needs your permission to
continue) which is shown whenever an admin program is started. This
allows you to keep admin programs that you did not start from running.

UAC also makes it easier for administrators to authorize standard
users to perform admin tasks on-demand, or if you so choose, to run as
a standard user and easily use your seperate administrator account
when needed, instead of having to switch between the two.

UAC also makes advanced security features, such as Internet Explorer
Protected Mode, possible, and these features are not available without
UAC.

- JB

On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:03:03 -0700, Angelique