Cannot locate files saved automatically by some programs

José Batista

Cannot locate files saved automatically by some programs
I have Vista Ultimate in portuguese. My file structure is in portuguese, e.g.
"Programs" is "Programas", "Documents" is "Documentos", and so on. To
ilustrate my problem, I am going to describe the incident I just experienced
working with EndNotes, a bibliography program. EndNotes marked a data file as
corrupted, and asked me to run the recovery process ( which is simply to use
the Tools/ Recovery in EndNotes menu ). When it recovers the file, EndNotes
saves it to "C:\Programs\filesaved". Please note that it saves to "Programs\"
in english, not to "Programas\". Thing is, I cannot locate the folder
"Programs", anywhere in my PC, not manualy and not with a search.
I use the EndNotes incident just to exemplify. This has ocurred in several
other instances, sometimes with other folders, e.g. "Documents".
It seems that some programs use a "hidden file structure", in english, that
I cannot even locate. I am the only user of the PC, and have administration
privileges. Could this be a migration problem ? I bought my HP Pavilion with
XP Home with a Vista Home upgrade included, which I exercised, and then
upgraded it to Ultimate.
Kerry Brown

Re: Cannot locate files saved automatically by some programs
It is likely the file has been redirected to the virtual store. You should
be able to find it here:

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Prog ram Files

The path may be slightly different due to the language difference.

For security reasons Vista does not allow programs to write to the Program
Files (and others) folder. It redirects these writes to a folder in your
user profile. You can affect this behaviour somewhat by setting the program
to run in compatibility mode and using Run as administrator.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"José Batista" <JosBatista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsE318A2C-AFF5-4602-82CD-B006DA2F0412@microsoft.com...
>I have Vista Ultimate in portuguese. My file structure is in portuguese,
>e.g.
> "Programs" is "Programas", "Documents" is "Documentos", and so on. To
> ilustrate my problem, I am going to describe the incident I just
> experienced
> working with EndNotes, a bibliography program. EndNotes marked a data file
> as
> corrupted, and asked me to run the recovery process ( which is simply to
> use
> the Tools/ Recovery in EndNotes menu ). When it recovers the file,
> EndNotes
> saves it to "C:\Programs\filesaved". Please note that it saves to
> "Programs\"
> in english, not to "Programas\". Thing is, I cannot locate the folder
> "Programs", anywhere in my PC, not manualy and not with a search.
> I use the EndNotes incident just to exemplify. This has ocurred in several
> other instances, sometimes with other folders, e.g. "Documents".
> It seems that some programs use a "hidden file structure", in english,
> that
> I cannot even locate. I am the only user of the PC, and have
> administration
> privileges. Could this be a migration problem ? I bought my HP Pavilion
> with
> XP Home with a Vista Home upgrade included, which I exercised, and then
> upgraded it to Ultimate.

f/fgeorge

Re: Cannot locate files saved automatically by some programs
NEVER accept the default as the place to save anything!!!! ALWAYS make
sure it is a destination you choose! Windows by default chooses the
same place, which is always hard to find.

On Mon, 28 May 2007 04:23:05 -0700, José Batista